Hispanic chances for medical school or DO school.

Started by Lsegura83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lsegura83

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 29 years old. Hispanic/Latino URM
Mcat 24p, GPA 3.93
Father, and I work
High school drop out, GED 6 years ago.
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
2 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and SA)
4 years as an X-ray technologist
Plenty of non medical volunteering


I am a Texas resident, originally from Mexico.
Will apply for summer 2014 matriculant (next) cycle (took mcat early)

I want MD. I don't want to retake MCAT.

I read on the AAMC stats that a Hispanic scoring a 24(with my GPA) is equivalent to an Asian scoring about a 30.


What do you all think?
 
Need shadowing and patient volunteering.
You might get MD, but you may not. Everything is great except that 24. You would get a ton of love from DO. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That 24 hurts but its not the only problem. You have no medical volunteering or shadowing how would they know if you actually have a real interest in medicine. You should probably get those up and you would be really competitive for DO not so much for MD but still a chance.
 
I am 29 years old. Hispanic/Latino URM
Mcat 24p, GPA 3.93
Father, and I work
High school drop out, GED 6 years ago.
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
2 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and SA)
4 years as an X-ray technologist
Plenty of non medical volunteering


I am a Texas resident, originally from Mexico.
Will apply for summer 2014 matriculant (next) cycle (took mcat early)

I want MD. I don't want to retake MCAT.

I read on the AAMC stats that a Hispanic scoring a 24(with my GPA) is equivalent to an Asian scoring about a 30.


What do you all think?

Hispanic students with your GPA and MCAT have had a 72% acceptance rate over the last 3 years according to the AAMC.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Texas is also one of the better, if not the best, states for in state application. You have a lot of experience working in a medical setting, if you can speak and write meaningfully about those experiences that should be more than enough in terms of exposure to the medical field. Research and non-medical volunteering are always good, the fact that you have more of both than the average applicant is fantastic.

Add in some physician shadowing before you apply so you have experience to draw on when answering questions about long term goals or why the role of a physician specifically appeals to you.

All of these things considered, I would say that if you can't get an acceptance to an MD school in the 2014 cycle, none of us can. Best of luck.
 
Last edited:
You have no medical volunteering or shadowing how would they know if you actually have a real interest in medicine.
Medical volunteering isn't needed when one has a job with patient interaction as the OP does as an X-Ray tech.

Physician shadowing, however, needs to be done, even if some time was spent with the facility's radiologists already.
 
The 24 will kill your MD chances and narrow your DO choices. If you want MD, you have to retake. It's as simple as that.
 
I am 29 years old. Hispanic/Latino URM
Mcat 24p, GPA 3.93
Father, and I work
High school drop out, GED 6 years ago.
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
2 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and SA)
4 years as an X-ray technologist
Plenty of non medical volunteering


I am a Texas resident, originally from Mexico.
Will apply for summer 2014 matriculant (next) cycle (took mcat early)

I want MD. I don't want to retake MCAT.

I read on the AAMC stats that a Hispanic scoring a 24(with my GPA) is equivalent to an Asian scoring about a 30.


What do you all think?


Here is an addendum.

I have 200+ hours in Physician shadowing
300+ volunteering at a clinic with a PA


Im hoping affirmative action will allow me to circumvent the MCAT.
It seems that being Mexican has never been so advantageous.


I have no problem retaking. I just really don't want to open up a 3-4 month schedule. Especially because I work.
 
Here is an addendum.

I have 200+ hours in Physician shadowing
300+ volunteering at a clinic with a PA


Im hoping affirmative action will allow me to circumvent the MCAT.
It seems that being Mexican has never been so advantageous.


I have no problem retaking. I just really don't want to open up a 3-4 month schedule. Especially because I work.

Why are you stating this (bolded underlined)? People need to stop playing the race card. Obviously you're smart because you have a 3.93 gpa and URM status has nothing to do with it. Is this science, cum, or both? You have done an excellent job and I commend you for it! You have taken care of the shadowing/clinical issues. The only thing keeping your app from being spectacular is the low MCAT. If you can boost it even to a high 20 you will have an opportunity to apply to almost any MD school in the country and get an acceptance just because of your merits alone. If you want medical school bad enough, then you will jump through every hoop possible. I understand your need to work because I work full-time too. If you know you can do better on the MCAT then give it another try, but please stop using AA to hold you back. I say this as an URM myself. Don't worry about handouts because you have accomplished so much on your own. I don't want to see you sell yourself short. I do wish you the best!
 
3-4 months now could give you 30-40 years in the speciality that you really really like in your third and fourth year rotations.

What I mean is if you get that MCAT up you'll elevate yourself from DO to MD range. Say you love love love surgery or derm or opth when you get to it third and fourth year. If you're at a MD school, that will be a lot easier to attain.

Just something to consider. In the long run, I think it will be very worth it for you. You also might increase your qualifications for scholarships.
 
Hispanic students with your GPA and MCAT have had a 72% acceptance rate over the last 3 years according to the AAMC.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Texas is also one of the better, if not the best, states for in state application. You have a lot of experience working in a medical setting, if you can speak and write meaningfully about those experiences that should be more than enough in terms of exposure to the medical field. Research and non-medical volunteering are always good, the fact that you have more of both than the average applicant is fantastic.

Add in some physician shadowing before you apply so you have experience to draw on when answering questions about long term goals or why the role of a physician specifically appeals to you.

All of these things considered, I would say that if you can't get an acceptance to an MD school in the 2014 cycle, none of us can. Best of luck.

Reposting this because it seems to have been overlooked.
 
Regardless of your race, your application is very impressive.
You are an immigrant, high school drop out, a slighter older applicant, and a father. Your application shows that you have overcome tremendous adversity and had to handle more than your typical 21 year old college senior applicant.
You also have amazing ecs.

If you study hard for the MCAT and get a 30 and maybe sprinkle in some dr shadowing, you can get into a top 20 school.
People say your medical school does not matter, and this is true because they are normally refering to a rank 30 school vs a rank 50. however, the difference between a do school and a top 20 md school is tremendous.

Also, if you want an md without retaking the mcat, you have a great shot. Apply early and broadly.