Histo Board Exam

About the Ads

nabeya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Oklahoma City
  1. Attending Physician
    the histo shelf exam is one of the easiest ones you'll take. I used BRS Histology, but I bet HY will give you just as much of the important info that you'll need. I also used First Aid as well.

2112_rush said:
    We have our histology board exam coming up soon. Does anybody know what seems to show up regularly on the histology board or have any advice on how to prepare for it?

Discobolus

Dutch-American
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    May 31, 2004
    Red State
      I sure must be a weird medical student. I've heard a lot of people say how easy the histo shelf exam is compared to the others. Of all the shelf exams I've taken, histology/cell biology is the only one I've scored below the National average, and it was WELL below the National average. On the other hand I did very well on the physiology shelf which a lot of people think is very difficult. I'm weird :D

thackl

1K Member
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 9, 2003
      Austin, TX
        Discobolus said:
        I sure must be a weird medical student. I've heard a lot of people say how easy the histo shelf exam is compared to the others. Of all the shelf exams I've taken, histology/cell biology is the only one I've scored below the National average, and it was WELL below the National average. On the other hand I did very well on the physiology shelf which a lot of people think is very difficult. I'm weird :D
        National average is converted to a raw 70 with a SD of 8. Most schools reconvert the 70 to an 83 and then go from there. The national average will be a relative thing. I thought it was the easiest test and I ended up 9 (1.125 SD)pts above national average. I thought the biochem was an absolute killer and I am sure I answered fewer correct than the Histo (a lot fewer), but I ended up 13pts above the national average. Again, it's a relative thing..... like the MCAT..... an easy test doesn't equal a good score.

Discobolus

Dutch-American
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        May 31, 2004
        Red State
          I understand all that, but I really mean I thought the physiology exam was easy and that I thought the histology shelf was hard.

thackl said:
          National average is converted to a raw 70 with a SD of 8. Most schools reconvert the 70 to an 83 and then go from there. The national average will be a relative thing. I thought it was the easiest test and I ended up 9 (1.125 SD)pts above national average. I thought the biochem was an absolute killer and I am sure I answered fewer correct than the Histo (a lot fewer), but I ended up 13pts above the national average. Again, it's a relative thing..... like the MCAT..... an easy test doesn't equal a good score.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.