Histo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugsly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how to efficiently study Histo for Step 1???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna assume that knowing the "normal" for all the pathology that we need to know will be enough....ie other stuff isn't supposed to be high yield at all

Browse through a small histo atlas and ask yourself what the most important/unique cell types are and where they are found.

For instance, for GI you would want to know what a gastric chief cell does and where they are on a slide.

There really isn't that much worth testing, and the subject is fairly low yield. I would spend a few hours on this but not much more (you could probably get most of the key histo stuff from a question bank).

Browse through a small histo atlas and ask yourself what the most important/unique cell types are and where they are found.

For instance, for GI you would want to know what a gastric chief cell does and where they are on a slide.

There really isn't that much worth testing, and the subject is fairly low yield. I would spend a few hours on this but not much more (you could probably get most of the key histo stuff from a question bank).

HY Histo (excellent, and integrative for info from molec bio to cell bio to anatomy) or Wheater's will do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually reading through HY histo right now, and I think it's great!
I know most people say histo is low yield, and it's enough just reading FA and doing some questions, but since I've never sat for step 1 before, I guess I think this is important as well.
The good thing about HY histo is that it integrates alot of stuff/concepts... they have included important drugs for most chapters, as well as clinical considerations that briefly presents the associated pathology...
I know most people only study for 5-6 weeks, so adding another review book isn't their best option, but from my POV, this is a good subject to devote some time to, since the pathology is easier understood later on...
Just my humble opinion:)

I hated HY Histo. If you're looking for a review source for histo it's way too long and the pictures aren't even in color.

It does have lots of good non-histo material which is good if you're looking for a comprehensive source to integrate non-histo subjects. But not if you want a short and sweet review of high yield histo facts, which the title suggests.