Histology at BU MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Shot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering has anyone here who has done the BU program not taken Histology and been accepted to a medical school? Its not a required class but people say it looks good on paper if you want to attend BU. The problem is I don't want to attend BU but was wondering if not taking the class will harm my chances from getting into other schools (ie UC schools)? I rather not take this class second semester and study for the mcats instead.

I have searched the forms here but have found nothing on this matter. Thanks in advance for any help.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

bump!! i've been wondering the same thing. i hear that class is impossibly difficult. any bumams vets care to reply??

Dr. Shot said:
I was wondering has anyone here who has done the BU program not taken Histology and been accepted to a medical school? Its not a required class but people say it looks good on paper if you want to attend BU. The problem is I don't want to attend BU but was wondering if not taking the class will harm my chances from getting into other schools (ie UC schools)? I rather not take this class second semester and study for the mcats instead.

I have searched the forms here but have found nothing on this matter. Thanks in advance for any help.

:thumbup:

Dr. Shot, as an alum of the BU program (and now accepted into med school for next fall), i definitely agree with you that your chances of getting into BUSM w/o taking histology are slim to none. It is one of the big three (along with physio and biochem) that they use to evaluate students in their master's program.

As for other schools, its difficult to say. UC schools have not traditionally accepted many BU master's students in general (so I've heard), regardless of near perfect grades from the program and taking histology. In this case, focusing on getting a high MCAT score might be your best bet at getting a serious look from the golden state.

For schools that do accept a handful of BU Masters students each year, the admission committee might compare your app to other BU students and wonder why you opted to take the easier road. I have been advised that most of these schools know the BU program well enough to look at the transcript in this way.

Personally, I tried to get out of histology when I was a master's student, but my advisor talked me into taking it. I'm very grateful that he did. It was my favorite class and it worked out very well for me.

I would take it if I were you. Just some of my thoughts though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vista04 said:
Dr. Shot, as an alum of the BU program (and now accepted into med school for next fall), i definitely agree with you that your chances of getting into BUSM w/o taking histology are slim to none. It is one of the big three (along with physio and biochem) that they use to evaluate students in their master's program.

As for other schools, its difficult to say. UC schools have not traditionally accepted many BU master's students in general (so I've heard), regardless of near perfect grades from the program and taking histology. In this case, focusing on getting a high MCAT score might be your best bet at getting a serious look from the golden state.

For schools that do accept a handful of BU Masters students each year, the admission committee might compare your app to other BU students and wonder why you opted to take the easier road. I have been advised that most of these schools know the BU program well enough to look at the transcript in this way.

Personally, I tried to get out of histology when I was a master's student, but my advisor talked me into taking it. I'm very grateful that he did. It was my favorite class and it worked out very well for me.

I would take it if I were you. Just some of my thoughts though.

Are the BU classes with the med students?

Do you know what percentage of the MS students are accepted to BU med the next year?

take histology (my favorite course). the head prof (Dr. Vaughan is so dedicated to the course) is on the admissions committee. about 20/year get in to BUSM from the MAMS program each year.

NRAI2001 said:

Do you know what percentage of the MS students are accepted to BU med the next year?

The Fall BU Histology class is with the 1st year med students. The Spring and summer Histo is with undergrads in the intergated med programs, grad students, etc.

I won't lie to you, the class is hard. 60 percent of the med students failed the first exam my year... but eventually everyone passed. For a grad student, getting an A would be tough in my opinion but i am not too smart so...

If you end up going to BUSM it will save you a whole boat-load of time during 1st year, which you can spend mastering anatomy if you are so inclined.

radioh3ad said:
take histology (my favorite course). the head prof (Dr. Vaughan is so dedicated to the course) is on the admissions committee. about 20/year get in to BUSM from the MAMS program each year.

20 out of approximately how many?

NRAI2001 said:
20 out of approximately how many?

about 100-130 (last year)
this year, there's about 160-170 students. i think they're upping the # every year....for the $$$$!!

gh said:
about 100-130 (last year)
this year, there's about 160-170 students. i think they're upping the # every year....for the $$$$!!

Wow, thats very few people :thumbdown:

considering there are many unqualified students in the program, that's quite a few people. there are students with 28 MCAT and low GPA who rocked the program and got in.

if you do very well, count yourself in the favored group.

NRAI2001 said:

You can take Histology, Physiology, Immunology, and Endocrinology with Med students. Also if you arrive early, before the fall semester you can take Anatomy. Other classes like Cell Bio, Pharmacology, Biochem is taught through the graduate school.

Histo is a challenging class, a lot of info there! Also the tests are in two part, first multiple choice about the material and second is lab, where you have to identify the specific structures or functions of areas highlighted on the microscope slide. Dr. Vaughan is fair and always available to answer questions, she arrived at the school at like 5am!!!

About matriculation into med school.... If you are a solid student with good MCAT scores (above a 30) and you do this program you have some chance of getting into med school the following year, meaning you apply and interview while completing the masters program. But most people end up getting accepted the second year, meaning a year after the program. For that reason many people in this program do not do it in one year, instead take the second year to do a lab thesis (you can get letter grades for the research units).

But remember NOTHING is guaranteed! If you guys have any question about the classes, teachers, etc, PM I will be glad to talk about the GMS program at BU.