Histology for Pathologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been putting off buying this book for a few years assuming there would be a new edition coming out at some point (the current one is 14 years old).

Has anyone heard about a new one coming out? I know that almost all the material is still relevant in the 2nd edition, but surely new important "normal" things have been discovered since 1992.

Is it time to buy the 2nd edition?

Members don't see this ad.

pathstudent said:
I have been putting off buying this book for a few years assuming there would be a new edition coming out at some point (the current one is 14 years old).

Has anyone heard about a new one coming out? I know that almost all the material is still relevant in the 2nd edition, but surely new important "normal" things have been discovered since 1992.

Is it time to buy the 2nd edition?

Im assuming the book you are talking about is Histology for Pathologists...now think about this: were there in the last decade any big advances in our understanding of histology? Has columnar epithelium been reclassified? Similar to Anatomy texts, there is very little under the sun that changes so a new edition barring some addition of colorful plates or a CD, isnt likely in the cards.

So, no important new things have NOT been discovered since 1992 in basic histology, to answer your ? bluntly.

No need to thank me.

If I can chip in my opinion...

Save your money. I bought this unwieldy doorstop-of-a-book, and regretted it ever since. I almost never cracked it during my AP training, and when I did, I pulled the copy of our signout room library's edition off the shelf and used that. I *never* read it at home.

Buy a more useful book. Oh, hey, if you are really feeling compelled to get it, I know someone who has an unused copy of the second edition...spine in perfect shape, pages in excellent condition... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there is a new edition that will be available in October 2006. The 2nd edition has been out of print since the start of the year. The new author is Stacey Mills.

LADoc00 said:
Im assuming the book you are talking about is Histology for Pathologists...now think about this: were there in the last decade any big advances in our understanding of histology? Has columnar epithelium been reclassified? Similar to Anatomy texts, there is very little under the sun that changes so a new edition barring some addition of colorful plates or a CD, isnt likely in the cards.

So, no important new things have NOT been discovered since 1992 in basic histology, to answer your ? bluntly.

No need to thank me.

Not a thank you note, but I agree. Apart from that, I've never opened the book in question, and somehow survived despite that :p

I don't really use it much either - I have it at home, and look at it occasionally, but I find the surg path textbooks to be just as effective for telling me what I need to know. I thought it was going to be more helpful than it was. It does talk a lot about embryology and normal features, etc, and is probably worth having, but as was said you can probably just use it if you need it. Maybe the new addition will have new features like immunostain references or something.

dermpathlover said:
Actually, there is a new edition that will be available in October 2006. The 2nd edition has been out of print since the start of the year. The new author is Stacey Mills.

Yeah, Dr. Mills is putting the final touches on the book. We were told to hold off on buying it for now.

CameronFrye said:
Yeah, Dr. Mills is putting the final touches on the book. We were told to hold off on buying it for now.

Why, because it's no good?

Save your money and buy the new AFIP/ARP fasicles. The first chapter is alwasy normal gross/histo.

Or join the military and get them for free.