Test Tools Histology Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for histology.
In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Color Atlas of Histology, 5e. Winners for the raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Color Atlas of Histology, 5e---Revised edition of this compact, student-friendly lab atlas. Each chapter includes a introductory section on Histophysiology, an easy-to-use color plates section, and a Review Checklist at the end. Superb, color-corrected images throughout cover all the major tissue classes and body systems. Features a convenient spiral binding, and now comes with a companion website with Interactive Atlas. This dynamic study tool allows students to view all the images from the book with labels on or off, compare images, save customized slide shows, and work through hundreds of review questions.

Histology: A Text and Atlas, 5e

DiFiore's Atlas of Histology with Functional Correlations, 11e

BRS Cell Biology and Histology, 5e

High-Yield Cell and Molecular Biology, 2e

High-Yield Histopathology

Members don't see this ad.

Histology images are such great images to be seen in picture, whether in the textbooks, or online.

Are there CDs of the images and online version of the textbooks available, as well?

Thank you. I look forward to participating in the raffle drawing for a Histo text material.

Histology images are such great images to be seen in picture, whether in the textbooks, or online.

Are there CDs of the images and online version of the textbooks available, as well?

Thank you. I look forward to participating in the raffle drawing for a Histo text material.

Hi StaphRx,

Yes, The upcoming edition of Color Atlas of Histology (which will be available next month), diFiore's Atlas of Histology with Functional Correlations, and Histology: A Text and Atlas all come with free access to an electronic "interactive atlas" platform. The interactive atlas contains images/plates from the respective book(s) and provides you with the ability to view images with or without the labels and/or legends, zoom, pan, and compare images side-by-side. It also has keyword search functionality as well as a "hotspot" feature that allows students to self-test on the labeling. I attached a screen shot so you can get an initial idea.

The interactive atlas for Color Atlas of Histology and diFiore's Atlas of Histology with Functional is delivered online. There is a scratch-off code in the inside cover of the books. Histology: A Text and Atlas is on CD that is bound in the book.

Thanks!
LWW

Attachments

• Interactive Atlas Screen Shot.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 143
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Sounds good, thank you, LWW! The different functions/features available for the interactive atlas sounds great!

About how many questions are feature in the questionbank?

About how many questions are feature in the questionbank?

Thanks for your question!

BRS Cell Biology and Histology, 5e has over 570 questions. They are same questions contained in the print book. We make them available online for electronic practice.

The upcoming edition of Color Atlas of Histology, 5e includes a question bank with over 1,000 questions (974 fill-in-the-blank and 96 multiple choice)

Thanks so much!
LWW

How is the Color Atlas organized? By tissue type? Organ? Systems?

Thanks for your question!

BRS Cell Biology and Histology, 5e has over 570 questions. They are same questions contained in the print book. We make them available online for electronic practice.

The upcoming edition of Color Atlas of Histology, 5e includes a question bank with over 1,000 questions (974 fill-in-the-blank and 96 multiple choice)

Thanks so much!
LWW

Are the BRS book and the Color Atlas connected, as in, do they reference each other? For example, would it be advantageous or setup to work through both simultaneously should we purchase both?

Why should I buy this book histology is low yield for step1, and I feel everything I need for histo can be found in Goljans Patho book.

The color atlas sounds interesting. What does the companion website have to offer?

How is the Color Atlas organized? By tissue type? Organ? Systems?

Here's the table of contents. There are opening chapters on The Cell, Epithelium and Glands, Connective Tissue, Cartilage and Bone, and thereafter the organization is systems-based.

1 The Cell

2 Epithelium and Glands

3 Connective Tissue

4 Cartilage and Bone

5 Blood and Hemopoiesis

6 Muscle

7 Nervous Tissue

8 Circulatory System

9 Lymphoid Tissue

10 Endocrine System

11 Integument

12 Respiratory System

13 Digestive System I—Oral Region

14 Digestive System II—Alimentary Canal

15 Digestive System III—Digestive Glands

16 Urinary System

17 Female Reproductive System

18 Male Reproductive System

19 Special Senses

Index

LWW

Are the BRS book and the Color Atlas connected, as in, do they reference each other? For example, would it be advantageous or setup to work through both simultaneously should we purchase both?

The two books are not specifically cross-referenced, but each offers different advantages.

The Color Atlas includes 580 full-color plates and illustrations that are very useful for the lab environment and learning to identify tissues. The atlas also offers the online Interactive Atlas that incorporates all the images from the book into an interactive environment where you can test yourself with labels off and 974 fill-in-the-blank review questions, in addition to 100 USMLE-style questions.

BRS offers outline review of the essential concepts of histology, 57 color images online, and over 800 USMLE-style review questions.

Why should I buy this book histology is low yield for step1, and I feel everything I need for histo can be found in Goljans Patho book.

We talk to many pathology professors and they stress the importance of a solid grounding in histology for a student to perform well in their pathology course. While histology is not heavily tested as such on Step 1, pathology is the most heavily tested subject (as you know).

Goljan does touch briefly on normal structure and function at the opening of chapters and sections, as do most pathology texts, but you will likely benefit from an additional source to become more familiar with identifying normal tissue specimens.

Perhaps others on the forum can speak further to what is recommended in regard to histology resources.

Thanks,
LWW

The color atlas sounds interesting. What does the companion website have to offer?

The website includes fulltext online, and all of the photomicrographs and electron micrographs contained in LWW's Interactive Atlas platform. The Interactive Atlas allows you to search images, use them with or without labels, select images into a slideshow, compare them side by side, and use a "hotspot" feature to test yourself.

The Interactive Atlas for Color Atlas of Histology also provides 974 fill-in-the blank review questions and 100 USMLE-style questions.

For a first year med student, would you suggest purchasing both the atlas and the BRS? Many current med student have recommended buying this book :thumbup:

Do you feel that the atlas goes beyond what most medical school curricula cover or that it is about as much as students will have to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.