Hit a plateau and need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedstudenttt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Test date is Sept. 6th

I am consistently making 11-12s on my PS with 11 being the most frequent and 11-13 on BS with 12 being the most frequent score. I really would like to make 13/14s consistently on both sections especially considering the new biology section is more difficult than the current practice tests.

I feel like I have approached this problem a number of different ways and still haven't seen any results.

I go over my tests thoroughly. I breakdown my mistakes into categories such as content related, logic/reasoning, passage detail + reasoning, etc.

I would like specific advice for the PS. I am weak in physics because I haven't taken physics 2 and self studied to improve my score. Occasionally, I run into a conceptual question that I haven't covered, but unforunately I do not see significant marginal gain in reviewing content at this point.

I would like to be consistently making 12s at the very least for PS.

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
Make time to review concepts that you don't understand for physics. After reading/reviewing that concept, watch a khanacademy.org or other video on the topic. Taking in the same info from different paths (reading, note taking, hearing, watching, etc) helps you retain it in your memory. Obviously, you're not going to do this for some obscure topic that won't be tested, but lets say you don't understand circuits, you're definitely going to do this.

I don't know if you already do this but make a good effort to read thru all questions (wrong or right) and all the answer choices of all those questions. Make note of the way that the answer solution eliminated the wrong answers and try to assimilate that logic into your reasoning. I've been doing this for PS/BS and it has been helping my score significantly.
 
It may sound crazy, but my advice is to take 2-3 COMPLETE days off.

Your science scores are top notch man. You know your stuff. There was a point where I was stuck, got frustrated and took three days off. That was a critical point in my preparation and when I came back from the break I had a totally restrengthened focus. Give it some thought.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It may sound crazy, but my advice is to take 2-3 COMPLETE days off.

Your science scores are top notch man. You know your stuff. There was a point where I was stuck, got frustrated and took three days off. That was a critical point in my preparation and when I came back from the break I had a totally restrengthened focus. Give it some thought.

Definitely gave this a try as well. It helped, but wasn't enough.