HIV through saliva/tears

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

The Waxman report said one abstinence-only curricula incorrectly says that people can contract HIV through exposure to sweat and tears.

Asked if he thought that was true, Frist said it "would be very hard" to transmit HIV through sweat and tears."

This is in reference to an upcoming federal review of the current abstinence-only education.

Question I have is that Dr. Frist is saying it "would be very hard" to transmit HIV thorugh sweat and tears. I thought it was nearly impossible. This is like saying you shouldn't play basketball with HIV infected patients, or you should wear gloves while consoling a grieving HIV patient. Is he pandering that hard to the abstinence-only crew or has it been documented that you could be infected that way and I just missed it?

I figured an internist/ID guy would know ...

Later,
Simul

Members don't see this ad.

SimulD said:
The Waxman report said one abstinence-only curricula incorrectly says that people can contract HIV through exposure to sweat and tears.

Asked if he thought that was true, Frist said it "would be very hard" to transmit HIV through sweat and tears."

It depends on other factors. For example, a person who engages in oral sex and who has gingivitis (with bleeding gums) or active oral herpes lesions is definitely at risk.