Terminated halfway through 3rd year in IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theirry14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was terminated as an IM resident half way through my third year. This happened a year and half ago, Ever since I have been trying to get back into residency (IM and FM) as a PGY-1 or random postings for PGY-2/3 positions. I have had no luck. Im in the process of trying to get licensed in Texas, not sure where that’s gonna lead. But was wondering if someone has any ideas as to how to get out of this.

Went to a rural DO school. failed level 1 and 2 first attempt. Passed level 3 on first try.

Reason for termination was basically not getting along with others.

I did pay to do some postgrad-externship rotations(4 total) in Florida IM residencies and managed to secure 4 LORs, all from IM/Neuro Program directors.

Options now are:

- try to get licensed in Texas, but I heard it is extremely difficult to find jobs when not board certified. If it is possible let me know?!?!

- Trying to get one year chief resident positions that are posted-doubt I will get anywhere with this, but was thinking trying to get credit for the last 6 months of residency by doing this. anyone heard of this happening?

- Also, heard about preventative/occupational medicine- could apply to this next cycle, was told that maybe enroll in a MPH program to make me look more attractive.

In the meantime I have been applying to posting of PGY-2/3 positions on resident swap and so on but no luck unfortunately.
Was hoping if anyone had any ideas on how to get out of this situation in-terms of becoming board eligibility, jobs or other residency positions?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your previous PD saying your reason for termination was? What was their side of the story? Depending on the answer to this your only course might be retooling for a different career or being an urgent care hack getting paid nursing wages.

Getting a license is not going to fix anything unless you want to do a direct primary care thing where you don't bill insurance but not sure why anyone would sign on if you didn't finish your training...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow. Who or what did you do to piss off your pd?!
Make nice nice with your former program? Find some rural program, salve away for a year?
Go back to your school?
Find some super heavy FMG/IMG program to see if you can redeem yourself?
Search unmatched md and see what pops up?
Just found this “https://www.unmatchedmd.com/single-post/public-health-general-preventive-medicine-residency-has-two-2-pgy-2-positions”

I am not sure what to tell you, because there is something else going on here. I didn’t do well in med school; in residency I knew I need to be on my best behavior at all times.

@NotAProgDirector, what do you think?

Good luck kiddo. You’re so very close.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean with the right connections you can pivot to pharma or consulting and become a corporate drone and drag your way up that ladder but you need to have connections which I am assuming you don't have.

The fact that you can't find anything or anyone to take you means whatever they are hearing from your old pd is shutting you down and you are done. It sucks and sometimes it isn't fair but you gotta suck it up and move on and make the best of a bad situation instead of try to make something happen that never will.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. Who or what did you do to piss off your pd?!

@NotAProgDirector, what do you think?

Good luck kiddo. You’re so very close.

I have to agree...this is a HUGE red flag. Programs generally give you warnings/reprimand you before they force you to leave. Especially during 3rd year. You're practically done. I mean, 3rd year residency is not that difficult. Something happened and I agree that it'll depend on what the PD will say about you if you apply to other programs. I've had 2 other people I know "leave" residency programs in the past and one was because the resident was arrogant/never worked well with others/didn't listen to people above them. The second was politics but the PD was nice to give them endorsement letters/promote their career.
Both instances, though, wasn't a case of having them stay on for close to 3 years and then pulling the rug.

My old PD left after my second year, i was terminated 6 months later by an interim PD. There is a whole new person in charge now.
and in terms of who did I piss off? From what I was told it was the DIO, and that person is not there anymore either.

I had moments of outburst, it happened on more than one occasion. I was reprimanded on multiple occasion and finally they (DIO and interim PD) had enough. I accept responsibility for what I have done, not trying to down play it.
Just looking to what to do from here on out.

There were three programs that posted PGY-2 openings that actually replied to me, 2 were FM and 1 were IM. They both mentioned, "lack of CMS funding", "no medicare funding left for training" as reasons. I think they only responded because I was truthful/upfront and apologetic. one PD genuinely tried to help and said look for bigger programs that take residents without funding, usually big teaching hospitals. Problem is those programs don't even respond.

I was told by a recruiter that if licensed there are opportunities at correctional facilities that don't requir board certification. Never contacted anyone as im waiting for a license, but i'm hoping that is true.

My old PD left after my second year, i was terminated 6 months later by an interim PD. There is a whole new person in charge now.
and in terms of who did I piss off? From what I was told it was the DIO, and that person is not there anymore either.

I had moments of outburst, it happened on more than one occasion. I was reprimanded on multiple occasion and finally they (DIO and interim PD) had enough. I accept responsibility for what I have done, not trying to down play it.

There were three programs that posted PGY-2 openings that actually replied to me, 2 were FM and 1 were IM. They both mentioned, "lack of CMS funding", "no medicare funding left for training" as reasons. I think they only responded because I was truthful/upfront and apologetic. one PD genuinely tried to help and said look for bigger programs that take residents without funding, usually big teaching hospitals. Problem is those programs don't even respond.

I was told by a recruiter that if licensed there are opportunities at correctional facilities that don't requir board certification. Never contacted anyone as im waiting for a license, but i'm hoping that is true.

Some states do let you have a “full” license after one year of residency. You’ll be a GP for the rest of your life. Or until something else opens….

You “can” offer not to draw a salary (don’t think it really works) and try those programs again.

If your med school have big affiliated programs, that’s where something may happen.

Hello,

I was terminated as an IM resident half way through my third year. This happened a year and half ago, Ever since I have been trying to get back into residency (IM and FM) as a PGY-1 or random postings for PGY-2/3 positions. I have had no luck. Im in the process of trying to get licensed in Texas, not sure where that’s gonna lead. But was wondering if someone has any ideas as to how to get out of this.

Went to a rural DO school. failed level 1 and 2 first attempt. Passed level 3 on first try.

Reason for termination was basically not getting along with others.

I did pay to do some postgrad-externship rotations(4 total) in Florida IM residencies and managed to secure 4 LORs, all from IM/Neuro Program directors.

Options now are:

- try to get licensed in Texas, but I heard it is extremely difficult to find jobs when not board certified. If it is possible let me know?!?!

- Trying to get one year chief resident positions that are posted-doubt I will get anywhere with this, but was thinking trying to get credit for the last 6 months of residency by doing this. anyone heard of this happening?

- Also, heard about preventative/occupational medicine- could apply to this next cycle, was told that maybe enroll in a MPH program to make me look more attractive.

In the meantime I have been applying to posting of PGY-2/3 positions on resident swap and so on but no luck unfortunately.
Was hoping if anyone had any ideas on how to get out of this situation in-terms of becoming board eligibility, jobs or other residency positions?

Sorry this happened to you. Did you not try to pan-apply to every IM/FM program in the country in ERAS to start all over? The reason I ask is I think that option needs to be exhausted. Yes it’s several years before you get back to where you where but ultimately if medicine is what you want to do then…if you’re even remotely interested get Step 3 done and apply to ERAS this cycle. The more you wait, the exponentially higher the odds become.

Some states do let you have a “full” license after one year of residency. You’ll be a GP for the rest of your life. Or until something else opens….

You “can” offer not to draw a salary (don’t think it really works) and try those programs again.

If your med school have big affiliated programs, that’s where something may happen.

Regarding bolded, it’s illegal.

Regarding underlined, it’s tough. The funding issue may be fixed at bigger programs but these are the exact programs OP would be passed over at for other reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
it is in fact illegal not to take a salary, I know b/c I asked one responsive PD.
Medical school is small and unaffiliated.

I applied last application cycle, mostly to small/rural FM programs and only got one interview. this is before I know about the CMS funding issue or else I would have applied to more programs. Now I know the program that I got an interview apparently receives grants on top of CMS funding, this is because it serves in Chickasaw Indians reservation in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

My question is, what kind of outbursts do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no simple answer.

First question: What have you done to address this outburst issue? Because if you haven't addressed that, you're just going to get into the same problem all over again.

Very few (if any) programs will consider you for a PGY-1 position again. Imagine the difficulty of having a new PGY-2 supervising you when you've already been a PGY-3. Funding is also an issue, and bigger university programs are going to see these professionalism issues and stop right there. Professionalism issues are very hard to address.

A chief year is a bad idea. They are non-accredited years so you will get NO credit for them, no matter what. And as a chief what you will be doing is doing admin work with the residents. If you have trouble with communication, or lose your temper easily, this is not the job for you.

Trying to get a new spot is fine, but I agree you should try to find a way forward with the training you have. Getting a license, looking for positions that don't require completion of a residency is probably your Plan A. Plan B is finding a new spot. If you can find such a position and if it is affiliated with a training program, you can hope that exposure to them with good behavior might encourage them to take you to finish your training.

Members don't see this ad :)

So uh, the child and physician murdering Dr Shirley Turner still managed to complete residency despite the following reviews:

Turner received her undergraduate degree from Memorial University in May 1994; four years later, she earned her medical degree. Between 1998 and 2000, she served as a resident physician at teaching hospitals across Newfoundland. During a 1999 residency at a family practice in St. John's, Turner's professionalism drew harsh criticism by her supervising physician, who stated she would become "quite hostile, yelling, crying, and accusing me of treating her unfairly."

During her remedial second residency period in early 2000, Turner missed nine days of her three-month rotation and falsified clinical reports. A patient of the clinic refused to return after an encounter with Turner. The staff became "so concerned about Shirley Turner's approach to confrontation and the truth that we would never give her feedback or hold any major discussion [with her] alone."

These incidents left the supervising physician with the impression that:

I felt I was being manipulated whenever I spoke with Shirley Turner. When negative items would come up[,] she would change the topic to one of my failings. She could be charming[,] friendly and lively but when caught in an untruth she would become angry, accusatory and loud. I always felt Shirley Turner was putting on a show, as if she were playing the role but had no feeling for her work. I cannot recall a trainee like Shirley Turner in that her approach lacked personal commitment and her relationships with people seemed, at least to me, to be superficial when compared to the over 400 residents I have supervised during the past 21 years.”

By the summer of 2000, Turner had completed the requirements of her residency training and was qualified to practice medicine.

Dang, I just read a few paragraphs from that Wikipedia page and seems like she was a **** show. She made one bad decision after another, manipulated people and evidence, like a psychopath, which culminated with her taking her life and that of her son. SMH, how somebody like that make it this far into a career in Medicine?

Dang, I just read a few paragraphs from that Wikipedia page and seems like she was a **** show. She made one bad decision after another, manipulated people and evidence, like a psychopath, which culminated with her taking her life and that of her son. SMH, how somebody like that make it this far into a career in Medicine?
Don’t forget her murder of the father of their son, Dr Andrew Bagby.
He had been shot five times, once in the face, once in the chest, once in the back of the head, and twice in the buttocks.

• Wow
Have you read about the neurosurgeon dr death? we had a great thread about him

So uh, the child and physician murdering Dr Shirley Turner still managed to complete residency despite the following reviews:

Turner received her undergraduate degree from Memorial University in May 1994; four years later, she earned her medical degree. Between 1998 and 2000, she served as a resident physician at teaching hospitals across Newfoundland. During a 1999 residency at a family practice in St. John's, Turner's professionalism drew harsh criticism by her supervising physician, who stated she would become "quite hostile, yelling, crying, and accusing me of treating her unfairly."

During her remedial second residency period in early 2000, Turner missed nine days of her three-month rotation and falsified clinical reports. A patient of the clinic refused to return after an encounter with Turner. The staff became "so concerned about Shirley Turner's approach to confrontation and the truth that we would never give her feedback or hold any major discussion [with her] alone."

I felt I was being manipulated whenever I spoke with Shirley Turner. When negative items would come up[,] she would change the topic to one of my failings. She could be charming[,] friendly and lively but when caught in an untruth she would become angry, accusatory and loud. I always felt Shirley Turner was putting on a show, as if she were playing the role but had no feeling for her work. I cannot recall a trainee like Shirley Turner in that her approach lacked personal commitment and her relationships with people seemed, at least to me, to be superficial when compared to the over 400 residents I have supervised during the past 21 years.”

By the summer of 2000, Turner had completed the requirements of her residency training and was qualified to practice medicine.

eh, have to point out that this was in Canada. we all know they're way too polite. the article even says that it was felt the baby was given back to her, who she killed in her murder-suicide, because authorities were too concerned with presuming her innocence vs protecting baby

so not sure we can extrapolate to the US training system here

dear God I hope we can't

First question: What have you done to address this outburst issue? Because if you haven't addressed that, you're just going to get into the same problem all over again.

Very few (if any) programs will consider you for a PGY-1 position again. Imagine the difficulty of having a new PGY-2 supervising you when you've already been a PGY-3. Funding is also an issue, and bigger university programs are going to see these professionalism issues and stop right there. Professionalism issues are very hard to address.

A chief year is a bad idea. They are non-accredited years so you will get NO credit for them, no matter what. And as a chief what you will be doing is doing admin work with the residents. If you have trouble with communication, or lose your temper easily, this is not the job for you.

Trying to get a new spot is fine, but I agree you should try to find a way forward with the training you have. Getting a license, looking for positions that don't require completion of a residency is probably your Plan A. Plan B is finding a new spot. If you can find such a position and if it is affiliated with a training program, you can hope that exposure to them with good behavior might encourage them to take you to finish your training.
Thank you for your response, this is along the lines of what I was thinking, especially after talking to people in different GME positions.

Last edited:
Regarding bolded, it’s illegal.

Regarding underlined, it’s tough. The funding issue may be fixed at bigger programs but these are the exact programs OP would be passed over at for other reasons.

That’s what I heard. The idea has been floating out there for years, there may be some truth to it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

What I gather is that this happened 22 years ago and people have tried to prevent this from happening again. If this had happened more recently, I'd agree that this makes no sense. But her actions (and I'm guessing similar actions) are alarm signs programs look out for.

Not to be that guy but this would probably be particularly problematic from someone who has issues with outbursts/etc. I don't know how difficult it would be for me to be at third year level and have to be an intern again. Humbling? Annoying? I think that it'd only cause me to be more sarcastic.

Have you read about the neurosurgeon dr death? we had a great thread about him

Yeah,
But I think the good thing is that they're trying to prevent this from happening again by removing people from the programs that either don't learn from their mistakes or refuse to accept they're the problem. If there's only one incident/whatever that happens, that could be just circumstantial. But when multiple people say similar things about how you behave or whatever, then you should probably realize you're the bad guy.

And, not to be an ass, but that supervising physician should've taken better action about her behavior.

I digress

Popcorn anyone?

it has to be more than outbursts or those outbursts were impacting patient safety. no one is going to fire someone over a temper tantrum. there's obviously more to the story and multiple people in gme felt it was necessary to terminate a 3rd year on the cusp of graduating. literally more work to dismiss you than let the next couple months slide in an easy elective, meaning you had to have pissed multiple high ranking people off.

imo, being dismissed this close to graduating is the reddest of flags, i would look into alternative ways to practice (eg VA, indian health services, snf rounding, wound care, etc). get an unrestricted license in whatever state you can. the chances of you getting board eligible is basically zero

it has to be more than outbursts or those outbursts were impacting patient safety. no one is going to fire someone over a temper tantrum. there's obviously more to the story and multiple people in gme felt it was necessary to terminate a 3rd year on the cusp of graduating. literally more work to dismiss you than let the next couple months slide in an easy elective, meaning you had to have pissed multiple high ranking people off.

imo, being dismissed this close to graduating is the reddest of flags, i would look into alternative ways to practice (eg VA, indian health services, snf rounding, wound care, etc). get an unrestricted license in whatever state you can. the chances of you getting board eligible is basically zero

Yeah,
But let's suppose the outbursts included verbally insulting or threatening the individuals?
Alternatively, I wonder why they didn't force him to take a year off and see a therapist/psychiatrist to see if they maybe need treatment.
Actually, OP, why DIDN'T they offer that or you offer it?

Lol OK well, aside from the possible comparison of OP to a mother that murders her own child, and while I do appreciate giving it to the OP the straight deal about chances for different jobs, I think we do need to applaud OP for not mincing words about their own shortcomings or trying to blow smoke about the situation. That could have not been easy and is not what we usually see from posters in similar situations. So let's not be any harder on them than we must.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol OK well, aside from the possible comparison of OP to a mother that murders her own child, and while I do appreciate giving it to the OP the straight deal about chances for different jobs, I think we do need to applaud OP for not mincing words about their own shortcomings or trying to blow smoke about the situation. That could have not been easy and is not what we usually see from posters in similar situations. So let's not be any harder on them than we must.
You're absolutely right. Sorry, I didn't mean to come out so mean. Though I probably did. Not trying to be hard at all. It must be an incredibly hard and frustrating situation. I hope it works out.

You're absolutely right. Sorry, I didn't mean to come out so mean. Though I probably did. Not trying to be hard at all. It must be an incredibly hard and frustrating situation. I hope it works out.
yeah wasn't trying to call you out so much as just pointing out for once we didn't have someone come in totally BSing about their role in all this to say, let's not be too hard on OP

although gotta love SDN for then busting out the story about the doc that murdered their kid in one of these termination threads
never change SDN

You have a great background to be a pathologist.

As stated above, the most important thing is on the agenda is to make sure you will be able to function as a medical professional in the future. There are plenty of smart people who just don't have the temperament to deal with the endless BS involved in clinical medicine. If you're not suited to it then you should start thinking about a change of careers. I realize that's easier said than done if you have significant student loans.

If you are clear that medicine is the correct path for you and your anger issues are a thing of the past then you need to figure out how to convince others. From a hiring perspective, any PD who considers bringing you into their program is going to ask themselves "what changed??". There are many applicants to choose from and no PD wants to deal with a resident who is likely to cause the program problems. I won't pretend to have a magic solution but I think you should be able to explain but more importantly show how these issues are not going to happen again in whatever program you join.

Have you kept busy this past 1.5 years? Are there experiences that you can point to where you've a) had to deal with interpersonal communication b) handled stress? I was an EMT back in the day and used this experience to argue my competence in these areas in my med school application. In truth there are plenty of valid experiences that you can present to highlight your calm and cool temper--equanimity. If you just played videogames during this time it will be harder.

I also wonder if it would be worthwhile to reach out to someone at your program. Ordinarily I would say reconnect with your old PD but it sounds like they moved on. It might be worth completely humbling yourself and trying to contact them for advice. Give them a synopsis of the time off and the personal reflections you've had. Explain why you are still passionate about medicine and how you've had problems matching. The goal would be to a) prevent them from speaking ill of you if another PD calls them to ask what was up with this applicant and b) maybe get a letter from them.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Move to a state where you can get licensed as a general practictioner (I think there are 10-20 out there.. I believe Missouri is one).

Hang up a shingle.

There’s such demand in this day and age due to lack of accessibility due to inefficient hospital corporations that if you work hard and try you’ll be busier than you could ever imagine.

Look to build multi practices. Hire mid levels. Learn the business of medicine.

Forget academic medicine or additional training or even traditional employment. It’s unlikely that would ever work out at this point.

With that said you could still have a great medical career, help a lot of people, be your own boss, not have to interact with others (if that’s what got you in trouble in the first place) and potentially make as much if not more than the majority of non-specialized docs on this forum.

Good luck. Embrace the solo path imo.

I knew a third year resident at my program who had a track record of making sexual harassment remarks and being misogynistic . He was given ample time to make up for professionalism. He did not . Then he wa caught self prescribing controlled substances anabolic steroids to try to make himself a lady’s man . Sad .New York state license revoked. He Ended up getting a gig as a pseudo PA for a private internist . Sad . He was a bright guy too . Just an insufferable toxic human being .

This all happened shortly after wolf of Wall Street came out and he thought he could be a real life doctor version of Jordan Belford . Sad lol

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I knew a third year resident at my program who had a track record of making sexual harassment remarks and being misogynistic . He was given ample time to make up for professionalism. He did not . Then he wa caught self prescribing controlled substances anabolic steroids to try to make himself a lady’s man . Sad .New York state license revoked. He Ended up getting a gig as a pseudo PA for a private internist . Sad . He was a bright guy too . Just an insufferable toxic human being .

This all happened shortly after wolf of Wall Street came out and he thought he could be a real life doctor version of Jordan Belford . Sad lol

Well,
He did, didn't he? Lost his job. Played it to the end! Gotta commend that dedication. :lol::lol::thumbup:

• Haha
Well,
He did, didn't he? Lost his job. Played it to the end! Gotta commend that dedication. :lol::lol::thumbup:
The Titanic seemed like a very fun place be until the end of the movie...

• Haha
The Titanic seemed like a very fun place be until the end of the movie...

These examples could go very dark very fast :rofl:

But, seriously, pro-tip; Martin Scorsese movies literally talk of rise and fall of criminals. Wolf of Wallstreet is hilarious/great, but no way would I try to be like that guy in a hospital setting.

These examples could go very dark very fast :rofl:

But, seriously, pro-tip; Martin Scorsese movies literally talk of rise and fall of criminals. Wolf of Wallstreet is hilarious/great, but no way would I try to be like that guy in a hospital setting.
the MCU phase 1-3 were about the rise and fall of thanos but apparently are not considered real cinema

Would it be worthwhile for OP to complete an anger management course (or some other therapy) to show programs that the issues have been taken seriously and worked on with professional help? Or would this make getting licensed even more difficult?

Would it be worthwhile for OP to complete an anger management course (or some other therapy) to show programs that the issues have been taken seriously and worked on with professional help? Or would this make getting licensed even more difficult?

Not a program director, but my question would be why it took so long or why they didn't do it during residency to prevent it. Or if the program recommended it/brought it up.