Hmm...$50k/year after 150k loans and 8yrs school!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...hardly. I've already stated that some of the posters make legitimate reasons in their posts. The rest are upset because they feel insulted that they might be in the situation which i have repeatedly mentioned, so to revert their anger, they start saying od's dont make 55k.

Me: why make x amount after y debt and z schooling.
almost everyone here: ods dont make x amount after y debt and z schooling.

The avg salary of an OD should be atleast 50% higher then the quoted 80k considering the level of education, the debt accumulated and the amount of income lost over those 8 years.

Can you now tell me why you would go into optometry school to be making 55k ? It should be simple.

The average salary of an OD IS in fact higher than $120k, but it's not the average STARTING salary.

Regarding your repeated claim about this mystic job for $55000, I know of no OD who makes so little. I have never seen any job posting with an offer that low, even in the supersaturated areas of the country.

As far as why someone would go through that much schooling, that is an individual choice. From a pure return on investment, it would not be wise, if your story was commonplace, which it certainly is not. However there are countless examples of people out there with many many years of schooling into the graduate and PhD levels who don't make $80000. That's just life.

I will say again however that I know plenty of surgeons who make well over $500000 they are some of the most miserable people on the face of the earth.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are unable to do some research, I have copied the exact words spoken from a recent graduate.

"I am so sick of reading about salaries in the 45-50k range."
- Most OD graduates

what a douchebag

The average salary of an OD IS in fact higher than $120k, but it's not the average STARTING salary.

Regarding your repeated claim about this mystic job for $55000, I know of no OD who makes so little. I have never seen any job posting with an offer that low, even in the supersaturated areas of the country.

As far as why someone would go through that much schooling, that is an individual choice. From a pure return on investment, it would not be wise, if your story was commonplace, which it certainly is not. However there are countless examples of people out there with many many years of schooling into the graduate and PhD levels who don't make $80000. That's just life.

I will say again however that I know plenty of surgeons who make well over $500000 they are some of the most miserable people on the face of the earth.

Wait, I was under the impression that money buys happiness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...hardly. I've already stated that some of the posters make legitimate reasons in their posts. The rest are upset because they feel insulted that they might be in the situation which i have repeatedly mentioned, so to revert their anger, they start saying od's dont make 55k.

Me: why make x amount after y debt and z schooling.
almost everyone here: ods dont make x amount after y debt and z schooling.

The avg salary of an OD should be atleast 50% higher then the quoted 80k considering the level of education, the debt accumulated and the amount of income lost over those 8 years.

Can you now tell me why you would go into optometry school to be making 55k ? It should be simple.

Your question has been answered multiple times. Even though this is far from the normal experience, IF an optometrist were to take that offer, there is substantial room for growth. Some professions make 55K/year with no hopes of making more. The more experience an OD has in practice, the more they can make.

Your SAME argument can be made for so many other professions that require graduate school. MOST professors get their doctorates and make variable amounts of money. Why would they do that? Lawyers could make tons of money a year, or not find a job at all. Why would they do that? People could say the same thing about getting their undergraduate degree with this economy. People go through undergrad and maybe get into debt and can't find jobs that pay more than they'd be making without a degree. Why would they do that?

Your question has been answered multiple times. Even though this is far from the normal experience, IF an optometrist were to take that offer, there is substantial room for growth. Some professions make 55K/year with no hopes of making more. The more experience an OD has in practice, the more they can make.

Your SAME argument can be made for so many other professions that require graduate school. MOST professors get their doctorates and make variable amounts of money. Why would they do that? Lawyers could make tons of money a year, or not find a job at all. Why would they do that? People could say the same thing about getting their undergraduate degree with this economy. People go through undergrad and maybe get into debt and can't find jobs that pay more than they'd be making without a degree. Why would they do that?

That makes too much sense to be true. ;)

DUDE...you are truly slow.

Your question is flawed!!! Its like asking why would anyone fly a plane when a plane crashed in so and so? and not accept the answer when the answer is...A plane crash is rare and you will mostly be safe riding a plane.

What the hell? Are you using logic? This thread is no place for logic.

Baby seals are eating cabbage because the economy is killing cod and mackerel. That previous sentence makes more sense to Megaton than any kind of logic will.

If you want more reasons to not pursue optometry: Computer mice are spreading herpes! Baby carrots conspired with Hitler to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. E Pluribus Unum means "drink your Ovaltine" not in Latin, but in Spanish.

Eyes? Screw eyes. Let's refract hair!

legendary_thread.jpg

:beat:= this thread

Seriously, this is one of the most humorous (and useless) thread ever.

The amount of $50K is really irrelevant. In every profession (lawyers, dentists, doctors, professors, etc.), there will be a certain percentage of people will scrap the bottom of the pay scale. If you look hard enough, there will be physicians that gets paid around $75k, while certain nurses will get paid over $100K. And the issues with taxes $90K = $60K -- Everyone pays taxes, the pre-tax amount is just an easier way for one profession to identify their pay range (excluding deductibles, charities, IRA, 401K, and whatever else). I think everyone here can agree that most entry level Optometrist will make between $75k ~ $100K. Certainly some will pull more, and some will be less, but just like every other profession out there.

I think everyone understands where Megaton is coming from. You spend a lot of years in school, accrue debt, and get paid a certain amount (that may or may not be lower than other medical professions). Through the thread, I'm sure people have pointed out the difference between Optometry professions and other.
- Certain people enjoy the work-life balance as compared to other professions
- The potential to own your own practice
- Lower malpractice and other insurance cost
- Some people like to be called "Doctors"
.. and more..

While most people here make fun of retail Optometry (i.e., Costco, WalMart), a few of us will probably end up there because they like the stability. There is definitely nothing wrong with it. Just like there will always be plenty of dentists that work at Western Dental, Pharmacists at CVS, etc. In the end, you just need to make a decision if you like and enjoy the profession more than others. You are more than welcome to go into other professions if Optometry doesn't suit you. But coming into an Optometry forum only to flame everyone is like wearing a Trojan jersey at a Bruins game.

So I know a guy who went to business school and now he's working at Toys R Us. Why would he go to 4 years of schooling past high school and he only nets $15000 a year in a 50% imaginary tax bracket to only get $7500 post-taxes?

Adam Sandler dropped out of high school, had no collegiate schooling, but he's making millions post-taxes!!

Why don't we all do what Adam Sandler did?

The reason I mentioned the suicide rate in dentistry is to point out the fact that just because they make more money than an OD does not mean they have satisfying careers.

Someone who takes that offer you mentioned might be fresh out of school without any other offers and interest growing on loans. They could have had to relocate based on a spouse's career and might figure 55K is better than nothing for now. Someone who MADE that offer could have listed the lowest salary s/he thought someone would take for an associate to see if someone would take it. The point is that 75% of optometrists in the US make over 10K more than that a year.

If I quoted an offer that was for 160K per year, would you believe that optometry was suddenly worth it? Your whole argument is based on this one anecdote, and you're missing the bigger picture.

If the average OD salary was 160k it would be more appealing, since the low would never reach 55k.

We have been answering your question, but you keep shooting down any legitimate post because it doesn't fit within the parameters of your thick skull.

Here is a little assignment (promise it's not too much work and it's not graded) you can do: Go check out school default rates for optometry schools. Tell us what they are and what those #'s mean.

OH the irony in your last paragraph.

Here is a serious question: what do you want to do with your life?

Here is another one: How much money do you think an OD should gross for it to be a financially "good" career choice? Throw a figure at us.

Stating that 55k/yr is not the salary of OD's is not even an answer to the question "why would u go through 8 years of school and accumulate 160k in loans only to be making 55k?" lol...

I'd say anywhere from 160-200k average, at the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey megaton...I have a question for you!

Why are you so ignorant?

Give me your best answer...i dare you!

I and many others have answered the question: 55k is not what most OD's make. If you believe that, then it's your problem. People are not answering your dim witted question because they know the avg OD nets more than 55k. And even for the people who did answer your question, they told you they enjoy the job. There you go numb nuts.

Did you look up optometry school default rates or is that too much work?

Or better yet, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Default rates?

I want to be the Prince of Arabia when I grow up.

And what about all those ODs who mentioned they make much more than 50k or the ones that work part time and still net more than that?

how is that relevant to the original question or even the true words spoken from a recent graduate?

how is that relevant to the original question or even the true words spoken from a recent graduate?

Okay, I give up. I'm willing to accrue $180K of debt and go through 8 years of college to make $55K afterwards because I'm stupid. I admit it. I'm stupid. There.

If I had known truckers could earn $300K in Iraq, I would have started trucking school earlier.

I'm a huge disappointment. I'm sorry, Father! :(

megaton didn't respond to my statistics that I brought up. They are true facts with lots of fabricated anecdotal evidence, too, so I don't know why he won't agree with me.

Hey, I have another idea. We can make lots of money without having to go to school and accumulate $200k debt. You'll get more respect and power than an OD, too. Let's become drug lords. :rolleyes:

megaton didn't respond to my statistics that I brought up. They are true facts with lots of fabricated anecdotal evidence, too, so I don't know why he won't agree with me.

Hey, I have another idea. We can make lots of money without having to go to school and accumulate $200k debt. You'll get more respect and power than an OD, too. Let's become drug lords. :rolleyes:

respected OR feared...or both :laugh:

hmmm. I hear theres big money in drug dealing...haha

The average OD makes $80,000. Enough of this.

Last edited:
If the average OD salary was 160k it would be more appealing, since the low would never reach 55k.

HA. Never? I'm quite curious what it would be like to be as ignorant as you.

I'd say anywhere from 160-200k average, at the least.

Sure, that'd be great. But that's not the reality of the matter, and it is what it is. It's pretty clear that there is no shortage of people who are interested in becoming optometrists, even though some ad said that all optometrists can only make 5 dollars an hour and have to work 23 hours a day just to feed their families a few scraps of food.

What I'm curious about is how the hell does the average OD's income effect you? I think it has already been established that no optometry school in their right mind would accept an applicant like you. Not just because of your pathetic grades, but because of your general demeanor. So, what are you doing here? Why would you even want to associate yourself with all these destitute people anyway?

Seriously, this is one of the most humorous (and useless) thread ever.

The amount of $50K is really irrelevant. In every profession (lawyers, dentists, doctors, professors, etc.), there will be a certain percentage of people will scrap the bottom of the pay scale. If you look hard enough, there will be physicians that gets paid around $75k, while certain nurses will get paid over $100K. And the issues with taxes $90K = $60K -- Everyone pays taxes, the pre-tax amount is just an easier way for one profession to identify their pay range (excluding deductibles, charities, IRA, 401K, and whatever else). I think everyone here can agree that most entry level Optometrist will make between $75k ~ $100K. Certainly some will pull more, and some will be less, but just like every other profession out there.

I think everyone understands where Megaton is coming from. You spend a lot of years in school, accrue debt, and get paid a certain amount (that may or may not be lower than other medical professions). Through the thread, I'm sure people have pointed out the difference between Optometry professions and other.
- Certain people enjoy the work-life balance as compared to other professions
- The potential to own your own practice
- Lower malpractice and other insurance cost
- Some people like to be called "Doctors"
.. and more..

While most people here make fun of retail Optometry (i.e., Costco, WalMart), a few of us will probably end up there because they like the stability. There is definitely nothing wrong with it. Just like there will always be plenty of dentists that work at Western Dental, Pharmacists at CVS, etc. In the end, you just need to make a decision if you like and enjoy the profession more than others. You are more than welcome to go into other professions if Optometry doesn't suit you. But coming into an Optometry forum only to flame everyone is like wearing a Trojan jersey at a Bruins game.

Yes, but the Trojans won.

So I know a guy who went to business school and now he's working at Toys R Us. Why would he go to 4 years of schooling past high school and he only nets $15000 a year in a 50% imaginary tax bracket to only get $7500 post-taxes?

Adam Sandler dropped out of high school, had no collegiate schooling, but he's making millions post-taxes!!

Why don't we all do what Adam Sandler did?

Go start a thread of your own stating just that. I'm sure you will attract many posters, especially the ones from this thread.

This thread is about why students are going into a proffesion which sucks out 8 years of your life and makes you pay 150k (+ interest), just so you can make 55k after you graduate.

i cant believe why no one has stated the correct answer. its pretty freaking obvious.

Okay, I give up. I'm willing to accrue $180K of debt and go through 8 years of college to make $55K afterwards because I'm stupid. I admit it. I'm stupid. There.

Huray, one person has admitted hes an idiot, as hes made it clear that he will be attending optometry school.

* i had to say it that way because you are a pompous ass.

is gochi and megaton the same individual?

you guys need to stop attacking megaton.

he is simply trying to figure things out.

im sorry but to be a drug lord you have to be smart.

ill take a look at the statistics.

is gochi and megaton the same individual?

It seems like it. The way they both quote and respond to one post at a time is similar. And around the time megaton showed up, gochi posted less. The stubbornness, thick-headedness, and ignorance is identical as well.

Regardless, this thread gets a thumbs up from me for humor and entertainment. :thumbup:

haha...gochi and megaton are the same person!

and he/she does not notice that he/she is responding on the wrong account!

epic fail:thumbdown:

This thread is quickly spiraling out of control. Personal attacks, name calling, and "troll" like behaviors are a violation of the TOS. Keep on topic and be professional, or the thread will be closed.

It seems like it. The way they both quote and respond to one post at a time is similar. And around the time megaton showed up, gochi posted less. The stubbornness, thick-headedness, and ignorance is identical as well.

Regardless, this thread gets a thumbs up from me for humor and entertainment. :thumbup:

Many people post 1 minute after another individual, that does not mean that they are him or her.

I'm only defending megaton as he is being attacked by many folks in here. He has a valid point.

I'll answer the question, even though I'm not in OD school yet.

To answer your question in the simplest answer megaton, I would not go to optometry school if Optometrists were to recieve such a low renumeration after investing so much time and money.

Huray, one person has admitted hes an idiot, as hes made it clear that he will be attending optometry school.

* i had to say it that way because you are a pompous ass.

lol.

This thread is quickly spiraling out of control. Personal attacks, name calling, and "troll" like behaviors are a violation of the TOS. Keep on topic and be professional, or the thread will be closed.

Yes, captainnerd is a troll. Ban him.

HA. Never? I'm quite curious what it would be like to be as ignorant as you.

Sure, that'd be great. But that's not the reality of the matter, and it is what it is. It's pretty clear that there is no shortage of people who are interested in becoming optometrists, even though some ad said that all optometrists can only make 5 dollars an hour and have to work 23 hours a day just to feed their families a few scraps of food.

What I'm curious about is how the hell does the average OD's income effect you? I think it has already been established that no optometry school in their right mind would accept an applicant like you. Not just because of your pathetic grades, but because of your general demeanor. So, what are you doing here? Why would you even want to associate yourself with all these destitute people anyway?

if the avg salary is 160k, then the lowest salary would probably never be 55k, thus i will most likely always make more than 55k.

your calling me ignorant, when you belive your one of the members of an adcom comitee.

yea my grades might be pathetic, but, i can always turn them around easily. I dont know exactly what things you would say differently if i had a 4.0 gpa.

Im trying to find out the answer to my original question. What are you doing here?

Default rates?

I want to be the Prince of Arabia when I grow up.

Awesome. You don't know what default rates are, I would have never guessed. :rolleyes:

SDN please close this thread. At first it was slightly entertaining, now it's just beyond pointless.

Well, I guess you have now. The other poster in the walmart thread stated specifically that he or she is tired of seeing 50-60k salaries.

Awesome. You don't know what default rates are, I would have never guessed. :rolleyes:

SDN please close this thread. At first it was slightly entertaining, now it's just beyond pointless.

pathetic.

Instead of telling me I do not know something, why not try telling me what it is.

Sure, go ahead and tell SDN to close this thread, but do nothing about the 55k salary. I'd expect that from people like you. It's sickening.

You are one pathetic person.

Instead of telling me I do not know something, why not try telling me what it is.

Sure, go ahead and tell SDN to close this thread, but do nothing about the 55k salary. I'd expect that from people like you. It's sickening.

It's okay, I'll live fine with my future 55k net salary and my 150k debt to the penny. Thank you for your thoughtful concerns though, much appreciated! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.