Hmm, nothing exciting happening today ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the heck are the match threads?! Congrats, applicants and programs -- hope things turned out the way you wanted.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll toss it out there. I matched my #3 at Creighton. I pretty much expected this, sometimes I have too much insight. Still processing this, was excited about the program until they dropped a "Our PD is stepping down" 5 days after the ROL was due, without much detail after only 2.5 years in her seat.

Anyone wiser @OldPsychDoc have an idea how to go about inquiring about more information? I really have no interest in stepping on anyone's toes but some clarification would give me peace of mind over the next 2.5 months.

It sucks when your #3 and #4 were basically only seperated by CoL and then something like this happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at my number 1 (MCW). Super happy! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Don't worry about it applicants put too much emphasis on the PD when it doesn't matter that much at most programs. The average psychiatry program director only lasts 2 years so it isn't that iffy and the reality is it's a terrible job so usually only people who really care about residency training end up in the role. Congrats on matching into psych it may not be your no 1 but you are closer to what you want to do! :)

I'll toss it out there. I matched my #3 at Creighton. I pretty much expected this, sometimes I have too much insight. Still processing this, was excited about the program until they dropped a "Our PD is stepping down" 5 days after the ROL was due, without much detail after only 2.5 years in her seat.

Anyone wiser @OldPsychDoc have an idea how to go about inquiring about more information? I really have no interest in stepping on anyone's toes but some clarification would give me peace of mind over the next 2.5 months.

It sucks when your #3 and #4 were basically only seperated by CoL and then something like this happens.

A sincere email stating "I was sorry (or concerned, or whatever...) to hear that Dr. PD is stepping down. Is it too early to ask who I will be working with this year? I am looking forward to being a Creighton resident because..., and I'm hoping that our new PD will...."
Just show interest & support for the program, demonstrate that you are a reasonable, rational person, and all will go well.

Don't worry about it applicants put too much emphasis on the PD when it doesn't matter that much at most programs. The average psychiatry program director only lasts 2 years so it isn't that iffy and the reality is it's a terrible job so usually only people who really care about residency training end up in the role. Congrats on matching into psych it may not be your no 1 but you are closer to what you want to do! :)
It's not a "terrible" job, really. It does help to be one of the ones who does really care about training and education, though. Those "lifers" in the business are my role models, to be sure.

I wouldn't describe myself as wiser but I do happen to have the inside scoop on this one. I matched at my #1, Creighton-UNMC, so let me say I look forward to working with you! The chair offered to meet with local applicants after the announcement to explain what happened and answer any questions. He was incredibly candid and I left the meeting much reassured about the state of the program. I have no doubt he'd gladly speak with you, so don't be shy about contacting him. I'm happy to go into more detail and answer any questions I can via PM.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at my number 1 (MCW). Super happy! :)

Matched at my #2, SUNY Buffalo. So so happy!

I wouldn't describe myself as wiser but I do happen to have the inside scoop on this one. I matched at my #1, Creighton-UNMC, so let me say I look forward to working with you! The chair offered to meet with local applicants after the announcement to explain what happened and answer any questions. He was incredibly candid and I left the meeting much reassured about the state of the program. I have no doubt he'd gladly speak with you, so don't be shy about contacting him. I'm happy to go into more detail and answer any questions I can via PM.

Congratulations everyone! Welcome to psychiatry. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Honestly, I was amazed that my PD stayed for the duration of my residency training. If you liked the PD, take comfort in the hope that chances are good that the PD will still be involved in training in some fashion. The former PDs at my residency are still hanging around the department doing other things.

Reactions: 1 user

A sincere email stating "I was sorry (or concerned, or whatever...) to hear that Dr. PD is stepping down. Is it too early to ask who I will be working with this year? I am looking forward to being a Creighton resident because..., and I'm hoping that our new PD will...."
Just show interest & support for the program, demonstrate that you are a reasonable, rational person, and all will go well.

It's not a "terrible" job, really. It does help to be one of the ones who does really care about training and education, though. Those "lifers" in the business are my role models, to be sure.

Honestly, I was amazed that my PD stayed for the duration of my residency training. If you liked the PD, take comfort in the hope that chances are good that the PD will still be involved in training in some fashion. The former PDs at my residency are still hanging around the department doing other things.
Thank you all for your words of advice.

I think a chunk of my post was "post not matching number one jitters". Distinguishing 3 and 4 was rough for me and I started having second thoughts immediately following the match, the ERAS message they sent just gave me ammo to second guess myself.

I had no idea the average PD lifespan was so short, it seemed during most my interviews most were there 5+ years so learning that helped a lot. Also it's nice to know that the PD will probably still be involved in my education as I felt we came from similar backgrounds and she felt approachable.

The wife and I are ecstatic about matching Creighton, they were my first interview and I was pleasantly surprised by most everything, including Omaha itself. Going to PM you bashir. Thanks for the offer, getting the info from a semi-anno poster is far less intimidating than my future PD or the PC.

How many lifers would you say there are around the country?

How many lifers would you say there are around the country?
30 or so? Just thinking over the overlap between AADPRT and AAP the last few years. Maybe also include a few more who have left the day-to-day administration behind and are titled "Vice-chair for Education" or some such thing. The good ones are also mentoring a nice group of APDs at some of the bigger academic programs, too.

I'm too new to the game to be one yet, but I do aspire to it.

Matched at MUSC! Gosh, my husband and I are just thrilled!!! Midwest to east coast. No complaints here. I can't wait to meet everyone :)

I had no idea the average PD lifespan was so short, it seemed during most my interviews most were there 5+ years so learning that helped a lot.
It's not that short. The 2 year figure is silly. PDs can have short tenures and have long ones, but 2 years is going to be on the short side. A program with a series of two year PDs would be a red flag. You need one year to get your feet wet at a PD level and start initiatives and another year to see if they work. A 2 year gig at the PD level isn't going to be getting a fraction as much done as someone there four or five years..

Congrats to all the folks with happy matches. Well done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longtime lurker on SDN. Matched at OHSU! I'm very excited, it was my #1.