General Admissions & OTCAS Hofstra University OT Program Fall 2015/Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!
I accepted the offer a couple of weeks ago and was wondering who else will be starting this fall 2016
I'm from Cleveland, Ohio so if anyone else is looking for roommates, I'm very clean and laid back :)
Also who else is taking the pre-ot course during summer session 2?
Hello, I am very excited I was accepted to the OT program I am from NY. I will take the pre-ot courses in the summer.I hope I can meet all my classmates soon =)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know at what time and when are the classes offer, Kinesiology and HPR130?

Do you guys know at what time and when are the classes offer, Kinesiology and HPR130?

HPR 106: Structural & Mechanical Kinesiology is June 27-Aug 1st MTWR 4-6pm on campus
HPR 130: Orientation to OT is June 27-Aug 1st TR 6:30-8:20pm hybrid

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you accepted into Hofstra Fall 2016 program, theres a HOFSTRA OT CLASSES '17 & '18 facebook group as a resource to connect to classmates, advice and more!

For those of you accepted into Hofstra Fall 2016 program, theres a HOFSTRA OT CLASSES '17 & '18 facebook group as a resource to connect to classmates, advice and more!

Hey I just finished applying for the 2017 cycle! Can you give me information on the program!! I really want to get into HOFSTRA
What were your stats if you dont mind sharing. Mine are
Undergrad: 3.370
Current pre-req GPA: 3.740
Current science pre-req GPA: 3.540
Observation hours: 210 (160 inpatient, 50 outpatient)
Work experiences: Clinical aid ( 1150+ hours)

do you think i stand a chance?

Hello, I am very excited I was accepted to the OT program I am from NY. I will take the pre-ot courses in the summer.I hope I can meet all my classmates soon =)
Hey I just finished applying for the 2017 cycle! Can you give me information on the program!! I really want to get into HOFSTRA

I got invited for an interview and here are my stats. Hope this helps!

Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req (still in the process of some) 3.8
GRE: Verbal-148 Quantitative-151 Writing-4.0

Experience: Second Year Special Education Teacher, ECU Campus Ambassador, Taught swim lessons for Children with Autism

OT hours: 40 hours at a pediatric clinic

i applied and haven't heard anything
overall :3.53
Pre-req: 3.72
Hours: 210 (hand therapy and pediatrics)
experience : : Executive Council Treasurer of the Student Government Association

· Member of Beta Beta Beta, the National Honor Society in Biology.

Member of Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology.
also work as patient care support at NYP Cornell

i applied and haven't heard anything
overall :3.53
Pre-req: 3.72
Hours: 210 (hand therapy and pediatrics)
experience : : Executive Council Treasurer of the Student Government Association

· Member of Beta Beta Beta, the National Honor Society in Biology.

Member of Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology.
also work as patient care support at NYP Cornell

When did you apply? I applied in November then got an interview after a month then I got accepted two days after that.

When did you apply? I applied in November then got an interview after a month then I got accepted two days after that.
Hey how did you find out about the interview( And subsequent acceptance)
was it through OTCAS? EMAIL?

Not yet. I was contacted last week about missing materials but haven't heard anything since.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received one as well! Do you know if you recieve an interview is it most likely you have a chance to be accepted?

I received one as well! Do you know if you recieve an interview is it most likely you have a chance to be accepted?
I honestly have no clue! I'm sure it depends on how many people they have already accepted

Congrats on your interview! When is it? I'm thinking about it doing mine on skype because I live in Florida.

Congrats on your interview! When is it? I'm thinking about it doing mine on skype because I live in Florida.
It's March 18, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to attend. But thank you and congrats to you too!!! Skype definitely sounds like the best choice for you. Are you definitely looking to go to schools outside of Florida?

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked for an Interview today for the 18th, and I'm going up!

Very nervous and excited. Would love any information of how previous interviews went.

Hi, all! I just got invited for an interview on March 18. If I do it, I'll probably do skype as I live in MN and have already been to NY once for an interview this year! I wonder how different the skype one will be from the in-person once since it sounds like they are doing a big group of students at once.

yeah i got an Interview too the 18th

I have an interview on the 18th as well. Can anyone who has already been on the interview talk a little bit about it? I know that there is a writing sample, but is the interview individual? Group?

I have an interview on the 18th as well. Can anyone who has already been on the interview talk a little bit about it? I know that there is a writing sample, but is the interview individual? Group?
I think the email mentions it's a group interview. And there will be a writing sample. I was at another interview and met someone that had been accepted to Hofstra and she said that it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

anybody when we should hear back? and if they are calling? emailing? or mailing the decision

you go in a dome, find a class interview, write your essay and bounce...no tour or any of that

They said it may take a few weeks to let us know because they have skype interviews over the next few weeks and then have to review everyone.

They said it may take a few weeks to let us know because they have skype interviews over the next few weeks and then have to review everyone.
I did Skype with no writing sample. They told me she few weeks also but was only a few days. Maybe if it takes longer for a responce that's a good sign you are more likely to get accepted.

What did they ask you thru the skype interview if you don't mind? Do you guys know anything about the program?

They asked what three ways my family friends and colleagues would describe me as and why? asked about my support system (im from washington). describe a situation in which there was conflict, how you handled it, how others responded, and how the situation worked out or did not work out.

How did it go? How was the campus?
I loved the group interview format. Very relaxed and a great exercise overall. Unfortunately I think the program is still in an early stage. Time will tell I guess. One thing I did not like is that someone asked how many spots they were looking to fill and they said 18. Eighteen!! There was over 40 of us in that day alone, so if I hadn't gotten accepted somewhere else I'd have felt very discouraged.
There wasn't much information available to us at all on that day, I'm guessing they assumed we had been to an info session (which I had and still felt like I was missing details).
The questions made sense and allowed you to shine if you took the opportunity. The writing sample was confusing to me as in, I'm not sure what they're expecting to get out of it? It was an article about getting ready for OT school and the pressure it entails. But I kept thinking how does this help them get to know us or make a better decision about us? What were they judging? Idk...

Last edited:
Has the program been accredited yet? This is what worries me the most.

I also got accepted yesterday by email! around 2:30 pm YAYY :soexcited:
I was worried because my GPA was pretty low. I feel like the interview helped me a lot.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Reactions: 2 users
I also got accepted yesterday by email! around 2:30 pm YAYY :soexcited:
I was worried because my GPA was pretty low. I feel like the interview helped me a lot.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
same here !! will you be attending?

What was your GPA if u don't mind sharing

Overall GPA:3.24
Pre-Req GPA:3.8 ish depending on school
GRE: Did not take

Overall GPA was low but I think the interview went well for me. :) Also had about 130 hours volunteer and shadowing hours

I just received my acceptance email this afternoon!! :soexcited:
I will definitely be attending. Are you guys taking the Kinesiology class this summer?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I was accepted to the program back in December and committed soon after so I'm excited to see other people committing to the program as well. I'm from New York and I'm taking the orientation course over the summer and have registered for the fall semester. I can't wait to get to know the rest of our cohort!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I was accepted to the program back in December and committed soon after so I'm excited to see other people committing to the program as well. I'm from New York and I'm taking the orientation course over the summer and have registered for the fall semester. I can't wait to get to know the rest of our cohort!
if i attend i wilhave to take kinesiology as well....anyone coming not from LI that would have to make the move there or are you guys from the area?