This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackinabox1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know an EM Resident who went to Stony Brook, he said that EM is pretty big there and that's ultimately what pushed him into that specialty. He also said that you can do 3rd and 4th year rotations in NYC which he loved and you get great EM experience there.

I know an EM Resident who went to Stony Brook, he said that EM is pretty big there and that's ultimately what pushed him into that specialty. He also said that you can do 3rd and 4th year rotations in NYC which he loved and you get great EM experience there.

Really, I didn't know you can do that that. That's pretty cool.

In response to OPs question: both seem like great med schools. Obviously SB is more established as Hofstra is a bit new, but I think Hofstra's curriculum is very unique. I interviewed at both and I thought the students were friendly at both, but Hofstra seemed to have a more tight nit community. This may be just because their med school is essentially in one building ( one thing that did not impress me about Hofstra). I also liked that SB has their hospital attached to the med school as opposed to Hofstra. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Are you a nys resident? Did you go to either schools second look days?

Depends on what you'd want to match in.
H/P/F and CoA become important when thinking about that

Members don't see this ad :)
40k as a total difference is not a lot for med school and probably not worth using as a deciding factor. Match lists are hard to interpret and given that SB and Hofstra are at a similar level of prestige with a similar pool of students, in a similar location, a lot of that probably comes down to individual students' preferences and performance (which is determined by the student, not the school). Residency interests also change, so as long as a school has good options for a residency (and it looks like you'd match just fine for EM at Hofstra), that might not be a great deciding factor. EM away rotations are also necessary to match, so regardless of what school you go to, you'll have to do EM rotations elsewhere (typically at places you're interested in). Both schools (likely due to their location and student population) match very well to NYC.

Hard to tell from your list of pros/cons if you have strong preferences one way or another, but deciding based upon preferred curriculum, academic/research/EC opportunities, location or a general sense of "fit" seems to make sense here. They're both great schools and neither will hold you back.

Sorry this probably isn't that helpful haha

Reactions: 1 user