Stony Brook/Renaissance vs Hofstra/Zucker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augustfifther

Reaction score
Stony Brook/Renaissance
Pros
- very good research (cold spring harbor nearby)
- Very established
- In state tuition after year 1
- lots of shadowing available early on
- Cute town/good community
- Step 1 and 2 taken together, students like this
- Better ranked (idk if it matters since they’re pretty similar)

Cons
- more suburban and thus more boring(?)
- farther from nyc
- Not great for relationship (2.5 hour train ride apart)

Hofstra/Zucker
Pros
- in the northwell system
- Good research
- Tight knit community because in person classes
- Exams include short answer so learn better than just memorization (or is this a con?)
- Initial clinical experiences are a cool way to see different specialties
- good financial aid typically (unsure for now what COA is)
- closer to nyc
- Better for relationship (1 hour train ride apart)

Cons:
- less safe area
- Less established
- Mandatory 8am-12pm classes

One sentence summary: Stony Brook has better research and is more established, but it is much further from NYC which is where my SO (boyfriend of 4 years) will be living. (Also assume COA is equal for now)

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible with Hofstra's mandatory in-person classes that even though the train ride is shorter, you might have less time/flexibility to visit with your SO? (disclosure: I'm on the WL at Hofstra)

is it possible with Hofstra's mandatory in-person classes that even though the train ride is shorter, you might have less time/flexibility to visit with your SO? (disclosure: I'm on the WL at Hofstra)
Good question! I am not sure, but also my SO would probably visit me about half the time and I'd go into the city the other half just so it's a bit more equal. Definitely something to consider though

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question! I am not sure, but also my SO would probably visit me about half the time and I'd go into the city the other half just so it's a bit more equal. Definitely something to consider though
I wish you clarity and best of luck with your decision!!

Current student at Stony Brook, so I can give some insight on some of the pros and cons:

Unless you're an MDPHD, you're unlikely to do research @CSH as most med students do clinical research. This year has been really bad regarding research (the deans launched an investigation as a lot of students complained that it is really hard to find research). However the step 2 average of this year's M4s was 254, so the curriculum will prepare you for STEP. Cons are spot on. Can't really comment on Northwell but admin does not really care about the students at SB, a lot of it is sink or swim on your own.

Also stony has a ton of mandatory stuff (quizzes, lecture, etc.) so don't fall for the hype of optional lecture.

Current student at Stony Brook, so I can give some insight on some of the pros and cons:

Unless you're an MDPHD, you're unlikely to do research @CSH as most med students do clinical research. This year has been really bad regarding research (the deans launched an investigation as a lot of students complained that it is really hard to find research). However the step 2 average of this year's M4s was 254, so the curriculum will prepare you for STEP. Cons are spot on. Can't really comment on Northwell but admin does not really care about the students at SB, a lot of it is sink or swim on your own.

Also stony has a ton of mandatory stuff (quizzes, lecture, etc.) so don't fall for the hype of optional lecture.

Would you mind speaking a bit on the mandatory stuff at Stony Brook? What does a typical week look like as far as required things go?

Also, are you comfortable sharing any examples about the admin issues you described? Would love to hear more as I’m heavily considering SBU!

Stony Brook/Renaissance
Pros
- very good research (cold spring harbor nearby)
- Very established
- In state tuition after year 1
- lots of shadowing available early on
- Cute town/good community
- Step 1 and 2 taken together, students like this
- Better ranked (idk if it matters since they’re pretty similar)

Cons
- more suburban and thus more boring(?)
- farther from nyc
- Not great for relationship (2.5 hour train ride apart)

Hofstra/Zucker
Pros
- in the northwell system
- Good research
- Tight knit community because in person classes
- Exams include short answer so learn better than just memorization (or is this a con?)
- Initial clinical experiences are a cool way to see different specialties
- good financial aid typically (unsure for now what COA is)
- closer to nyc
- Better for relationship (1 hour train ride apart)

Cons:
- less safe area
- Less established
- Mandatory 8am-12pm classes

One sentence summary: Stony Brook has better research and is more established, but it is much further from NYC which is where my SO (boyfriend of 4 years) will be living. (Also assume COA is equal for now)
I really don’t think you should be concerned about safety for Zucker. I live near Zucker and while Hempstead is definitely a sketchy area, the Zucker campus is pretty much on the edge of the town and doesn’t feel unsafe at all. A lot of Zucker medical students also live in neighboring towns as well which don’t really have very many safety concerns.

Would you mind speaking a bit on the mandatory stuff at Stony Brook? What does a typical week look like as far as required things go?

Also, are you comfortable sharing any examples about the admin issues you described? Would love to hear more as I’m heavily considering SBU!
Sure. We had mandatory small quizzes 1-2 times a week, during our histo/immuno block we had a lab once a week. Our most recent block instituted mandatory lecture and took attendance via clickers. It's a little annoying being on campus for small things as parking sucks.

Although this is likely to be systemic moreso than a stony issue, it feels like admin brushes off our concerns and doesn't really take meaningful steps to address things. We have asked for closer parking, med student exclusive study spaces, and more research opportunities. It is unlikely any of these will be achieved.

Overall I don't think admin issues should be why you turn down Stony, but there has been a ton of legit complaining this year.