Hofstra vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhpboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong! I would defer to @Goro who has been postulating that Hofstra is a strong school akin to Einstein and Rochester but I think second look should be your deciding factor!

I will say having a P/F curriculum is ideal and gives you more freedom to enjoy life/pursue research opportunities/shadow to find a speciality you enjoy/dislike (yes even as an M1). But there is also something to be said about never living at home after undergrad. (

Finally, tests spaced far apart is not ideal since they inherently have more material increasing the stress FYI!

Mandatory lectures? At Hofstra???? Don't these people know it's the 21st Century??? You're adult learners, for crying out loud!!!

Go with the cheapest of the three, unless you're realling boning for research, from which Einstein will be the best of the three.

Reactions: 1 users
Not only is it mainly PBL based with mandatory lectures, but the exams are also essay format which is ridiculous... I would choose Stony Brook as it has strong research funding, the new MART expansion is very promising, and its reputation is still stronger so you have a high chance of getting a NYC residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify a few things at Hofstra: our “lectures” are interactive large-group sessions that complement the PBL group sessions. And our exams are short answer, not actual essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat @nhpboy - I've been asking around and talking to a bunch of students, professors, etc. and it really seems to come down to personal preferences. PM me if you want to chat about it more!

Wow, so it's not multiple choice??? You actually have to write the answer?
Just to clarify a few things at Hofstra: our “lectures” are interactive large-group sessions that complement the PBL group sessions. And our exams are short answer, not actual essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds like you'd be happier at Stony Brook. Missing out on P/F. However it's instead basically A/B/F. Not too bad. But between money, establishment, living on your own, 1.5 pre, and 3rd year step, it's a solid pick

Have you received your estimated financial aid package from Hofstra yet? I was considering a SUNY over Hofstra until that came in, and Hofstra ended up being significantly cheaper than the in-state SUNY tuition. Also, Hempstead isn’t the safest but most people will live in East Meadow/Garden City and drive to the school. Rent being only $500-700/mo isn’t too bad, and hopefully you wouldn’t HAVE to commute from home if you ultimately didn’t want to. In terms of research, there’s a ton going on at the Feinstein Institute which you could easily get involved with through Hofstra. Not to mention the $1500/year fund to go to academic conferences! I may be a little biased though..

Both are very comparable schools but I would be inclined to go to Stony Brook based on your pro/con list. Personally, I think Hofstra is quite overrated. Hofstra has a significantly lower residency director score, more expensive, with non-recorded mandatory lectures and written exams. I'm not too familiar with the locations but that could be the deciding factor if that is important to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either option, either school will get you where you want to go.

I haven’t received my financial aid package yet but I’m assuming that it won’t be that big since my parental income is decently high and I don’t think I’m special enough to get merit aid lol

That's what I thought when I was applying, too. I was happily surprised. Especially with the Zucker endowment from not too long ago. We get up to 8 weeks of dedicated study time for Step 1 (most of us use 6), and a month of dedicated study time for step 2. No other academic/clinical duties, but this is usually the standard across a fair amount of schools.