"Hold" on applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervoushabits

Pharming: it's a way of life.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I checked my email about half an hour ago, and I noticed I had one from ETSU. They have put a "hold" on my application until the end of the semester, because they want to see my grades before further action. I know that this is better than rejection, but how much better? And does it mean that they are still interested in seeing what I have to offer? I'm a bit worried because they are a rolling-admissions school. Any thoughts? Words of advice? Something to calm my panic? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

SO I checked my email about half an hour ago, and I noticed I had one from ETSU. They have put a "hold" on my application until the end of the semester, because they want to see my grades before further action. I know that this is better than rejection, but how much better? And does it mean that they are still interested in seeing what I have to offer? I'm a bit worried because they are a rolling-admissions school. Any thoughts? Words of advice? Something to calm my panic? :scared:

Sounds like they are not overly impressed with your GPA but like you enough as an overall applicant that if you can show improvement by kicking ass this semester then they are interested. In other words stop posting and go get a 4.0 this semester :laugh:

hmm... you know, from what i understand in most cases it's pretty much a delayed rejection[sorry] =/ but, you never know eh[keep your chin up]? ^ ^ anyway... i believe will said it best for me[GPA]. so yeah... looks like your social life, will be on "hold" :laugh: well, atleast for the remainder of this! semester, that is ^ ^

good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't panic... what's the worse that can happen? Plan for the worst, hope for the best - never remain idle.

For perspective - I was "On Hold" for 7 months... number one on the waiting list. It truly doesn't matter (looking back)

I wouldn't panic... what's the worse that can happen? Plan for the worst, hope for the best - never remain idle.

For perspective - I was "On Hold" for 7 months... number one on the waiting list. It truly doesn't matter (looking back)

7months!? Wow.
But the big difference is: I have a hold before an interview. This worries me, because they are a rolling admission school. Do you think they could have all of their slots filled before the end of the semester? That's a big question for me. I'm doing very well in my classes, and it is very possible that I will get a 4.0 and raise my GPA by a decent amount. I've never been through this before. lol

7months!? Wow.
But the big difference is: I have a hold before an interview. This worries me, because they are a rolling admission school. Do you think they could have all of their slots filled before the end of the semester? That's a big question for me. I'm doing very well in my classes, and it is very possible that I will get a 4.0 and raise my GPA by a decent amount. I've never been through this before. lol

Having every slot filled before the end of the semester... possible, but not likely. Most schools will hold early and late interviews. However, being on hold prior to an interview isn't good. I would imagine you have applied to several programs, what is the status of those applications?

Professional school admissions process is more of a marathon punctuated by moments of intense pressure and lengthy lulls of no information. Its best to focus your energies in the meantime.

Never, ever remain idle. As a junior Marine, I had a senior NCO motivate me with a saying.

"If your not working hard every single day, someone somewhere is... and when they meet you, they will beat you." It is true in almost all aspects of life. Make sure you are studying hard to maximize your GPA. However, you should also work to build your community involvement and develop mentors. At the same time, you should be working towards balancing family and friends. As time goes by, you'll find that your mastery of this balance is more important than any one skill.

Hope that gives you somethings to work with/on.

Having every slot filled before the end of the semester... possible, but not likely. Most schools will hold early and late interviews. However, being on hold prior to an interview isn't good. I would imagine you have applied to several programs, what is the status of those applications?

I haven't applied to too many schools (only 4). I figure I'd give it a shot this year, because my GPA took a beating last year. It's the only thing I'm lacking. I know I will have a better shot next year, but it would be kind of nice to get in this year. I'm sitting at a 2.97 overall and a 2.4 something for science and math (personal circumstances last year....*sadness*), and it's really killing the number of schools I can apply to this semester (since most schools are 3.0 or 2.5 math/science min.). Next semester it should be significantly higher, so I'm praying for the best. I've had one interview, was put on hold for ETSU, and one of the schools I have applied to doesn't look at applications until Dec. So I have one floating in the middle of nowhere, one that I should be hearing back whether or not I got in by the end of the month, and 2 that won't be looking at my application until Dec. And possibly more after this semester....depending on my GPA. I know this is what I want to do, so I won't be giving up any time soon. That's not how I roll. :cool:

Just some side info: I'm a junior this year, and I'm practically retaking my entire sophomore year. (OchemI/II and A&PI) It wasn't like I did horrible in all 3 of those classes, but I got grades that I feel aren't entirely acceptable (especially Ochem II). So I'm a year behind anyway and won't graduate with a degree until *maybe* a semester later than anticipated, which means that applying next year isn't too much of a deal for me.