Holding multiple acceptances for the following reason...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone afraid that if you only hold one acceptance, then by some chance you get a whole bunch of Cs in your last semester of undergrad, that the medical school will rescind your acceptance.

I'm terrified of this especially when the wording of the acceptance letter is grades "of the same quality or better." Well that's not fair to those that already have high grades.

It makes me want to hold on to two acceptances until I submit my final transcript and the med school I want to go to says it's ok. That would be sometime in late June but we have to decide by May 15. I know it's paranoia but may I cite Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just call the schools and ask. Tell then you've had a rough semester and aren't expecting great grades. Ask them if they would rescind and acceptance offer based on this.

well i think if your gpa of the final semester is relatively close to your cumulative gpa right now, i dont think you have to worry too much.

this final semester isnt looking that bleak is it slick?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jlee9531
well i think if your gpa of the final semester is relatively close to your cumulative gpa right now, i dont think you have to worry too much.

this final semester isnt looking that bleak is it slick?
Well I actually go by the quarter system. I still have to finish my winter quarter and then I have my spring quarter. My winter quarter is looking kind of bleak. I blame it all on senioritis.

Originally posted by Slickness
Anyone afraid that if you only hold one acceptance, then by some chance you get a whole bunch of Cs in your last semester of undergrad, that the medical school will rescind your acceptance.

I'm terrified of this especially when the wording of the acceptance letter is grades "of the same quality or better." Well that's not fair to those that already have high grades.

It makes me want to hold on to two acceptances until I submit my final transcript and the med school I want to go to says it's ok. That would be sometime in late June but we have to decide by May 15. I know it's paranoia but may I cite Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. :(

I have thought about how silly it is that the AAMC demand we choose a single school by May 15 (aside from our waitlists), which could end up rescinding our acceptance in the end. I know that it is very practical in terms of waitlist movement, but it would be more practical if the last semester simply didn't count, considering we proved ourselves academically for at least 2.5 years.

I, personally, am holding on to multiple acceptance because I'm CONFUSED:(

the only thing you can really do is get my information, call them, and tell the admissions committee to accept me instead :D

I know what you mean, dude. For sure...

These quarters grades may not be up to par with previous performance, just because of the whole senioritis/sitting on acceptance thing.

The way I look at it though, if you have a solid GPA going into the quarter, one or two C's isn't going to hurt the overall by more than a few one-hundredths, right? So if the GPA goes from say 3.55 to 3.51 it could be argued that the gpa is within "previous performance." [edit: i guess that's pretty much what jlee said..]

Though if you fail a class, who knows what could happen...

ps,
good luck with LL, slickness... im rooting for ya

I was definately worried about that and kept all 3 of my acceptences when I first got them to see what I got for one class last semester. Now that I did fine on that, I figure I'm not getting anything less than B's this semester and I'll be alright. If i was worried about getting C's, I'd def. call up or just bare and kept the acceptences. The problem with that is knwoning your grades before may 15th...are you going to know them before you have to give up your acceptences anyway?

Originally posted by dupp
good luck with LL, slickness... im rooting for ya
Yea I'll see what happens. Dupp, I pmed you awhile ago.

As for my grades, I guess I painted a worse picture than how it actually is. I'm pretty sure I can pull of at least Bs this quarter and the next. It's just that I usually get some As mixed with Bs so it doesn't look that bad. I'm paranoid that if I get straight Bs from now on it will look bad compared to my previous grades. I'm not even thinking about Cs.

I'm paranoid that if I get straight Bs from now on it will look bad compared to my previous grades. I'm not even thinking about Cs.

I have no basis for this whatsoever, but I'm in the same boat and I'm not worried at all. My friend asked at Tulane about the "prior level of achievement" and she was told that it meant no C's. I'm pretty sure that even a C isn't going to cause you to lose a medical school spot. I would think that B's are out of the question...

As for my grades, I guess I painted a worse picture than how it actually is. I'm pretty sure I can pull of at least Bs this quarter and the next. It's just that I usually get some As mixed with Bs so it doesn't look that bad. I'm paranoid that if I get straight Bs from now on it will look bad compared to my previous grades. I'm not even thinking about Cs.

you are paranoid. nobody cares, as long as you passed. now practice the humanity you mentioned on the interview trail and give mercy to some other poor kid on the waitlist and open up a spot.

i doubt anyone has been rejected from getting all Bs. If you arent even thinking about Cs, then dont even worry man. I thought we were in the C/C-range when you brought this up.

dont worry bro.

Originally posted by jlee9531
i doubt anyone has been rejected from getting all Bs. If you arent even thinking about Cs, then dont even worry man. I thought we were in the C/C-range when you brought this up.

dont worry bro.
Cool. I hope you're right. :thumbup:

I was told as well that "maintaining my level of academic achievement" meant no C's by the deans.

Gleevec,

What school? Baylor?

anyone with a usc acceptance that's not going? in your letter to decline, tell them you want Cammy to take your place.....:D

Originally posted by camstah
anyone with a usc acceptance that's not going? in your letter to decline, tell them you want Cammy to take your place.....:D

i wonder if that is a possibility...esp if the list is unranked.

tho i am sorry to be withdrawing from your outstanding university, i would like to let you know that XXX, a highly qualified applicant, that is on your waitlist right now would love to attend your institution....

:thumbup:

Originally posted by medhopeful08
Gleevec,

What school? Baylor?

yeah, and i want to say one other school, but I got all the other calls mixed in my head :confused:

Originally posted by klooless
I have thought about how silly it is that the AAMC demand we choose a single school by May 15 (aside from our waitlists), which could end up rescinding our acceptance in the end. I know that it is very practical in terms of waitlist movement, but it would be more practical if the last semester simply didn't count, considering we proved ourselves academically for at least 2.5 years.

I, personally, am holding on to multiple acceptance because I'm CONFUSED:(

This is rediculous. Med schools really don't care much about your last semester grades. They just don't want an obvious bomb. If it's a little under par, they'll understand.

When you say that you are holdling multiple acceptances, do you mean that you will violate AAMC rules and hold mutliple acceptances even after May 15? I would hope not.

Originally posted by MikeyMann
This is rediculous. Med schools really don't care much about your last semester grades. They just don't want an obvious bomb. If it's a little under par, they'll understand.

When you say that you are holdling multiple acceptances, do you mean that you will violate AAMC rules and hold mutliple acceptances even after May 15? I would hope not.

No, I think they mean up til May 15.

i actually got a C- the last quarter of school - and worried about that exact thing - i called the dean up. she was very nice about it and told me to email her and asked me reasons why this happened.. and she said that she would look it over but that it shouldn't affect their decision.