Holding Multiple Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornready

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a former lurker. I finally decided to join SDN. How long do you guys plan on holding multiple acceptances? I am going to wait on financial aid packages because my top choice is notorious for their high tuition. I do feel a little guilty because I definitely want to free up some spots for those who really want to attend the schools that I have been accepted to. What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have multiples, but if I do, it will be until financial aid comes out, unless there are more than 2 acceptances and I really wouldn't go to one of them even if they gave me a full scholarship.

Don't feel guilty about it. You've earned your acceptances! Financial burden post-med school is absolutely a serious consideration. I also plan on holding mine until I find out about any potential scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel guilty, you definitely have earned them. I also will hold on to mine until financial information is released. Once I find out the financial stuff, I will quickly decide which schools I know I will NOT be going to and withdraw promptly. So, just try and withdraw as soon as you know you can make a well-thought decision, and for most of us, that includes money matters. Once you know, withdraw...don't necessarily wait until May 15 just because you can.

You aren't hurting anyone unless you continue holding until after May 15. No school expects 100% of the offers to be accepted and they routinely make more offers than there are seats. No school is going to say, "Bornready just turned us down, let's make an offer to Bornlater."

So when do financial aid packages usually come out? I'm a little confused about the procedure...After I'm accepted I have to fill FAFSA form before January 1st...and then just wait? Can someone please explain this. Thanks :)

So when do financial aid packages usually come out? I'm a little confused about the procedure...After I'm accepted I have to fill FAFSA form before January 1st...and then just wait? Can someone please explain this. Thanks :)
You have to fill out the FAFSA form *after* January 1st. Its not open till then...

Most schools have the "deadline" ranging from mid february to like, april.

I'd absolutely hold onto those acceptances until the financial aid offers come rolling in. You never know how schools will react to "I'd go to your school, but school x is offering me a better financial package." Having the leverage to pull that off can't hurt.

congrats on your multiple acceptances.

:D

You have to fill out the FAFSA form *after* January 1st. Its not open till then...

Most schools have the "deadline" ranging from mid february to like, april.

Thanks Raryn :)

I really need to read about how this financial aid portion of aplying to med school works... What about scholarships provided by med schools? I guess those will be included in the financial aid package? Is it really hard to get one from med school if you are pretty much an average applicant?

Thanks Raryn :)

I really need to read about how this financial aid portion of aplying to med school works... What about scholarships provided by med schools? I guess those will be included in the financial aid package? Is it really hard to get one from med school if you are pretty much an average applicant?
It varies from school to school. Some schools have some redonkulous endowments that give away lots of scholarships, and others don't give away any merit based aid at all. Need based scholarships are usually given out, but are, of course, based on need. When you get scholarship offers varies from school to school as well.

Just fill out the FAFSA come January, put your parents information in it (unfortunately :(), and hope the schools are feeling generous. Scholarships are almost impossible to predict.

Ok, this seems like the perfect thread to get some help. So here goes:

I just got an acceptance (my first--hooray) from my state school. They emailed me and asked for a $100.00 deposit to 'hold' a position in next year's class for me.

The email also said this deposit is a "declaration of your intent to enroll here and the full amount of your deposit will be applied to your first semester fees."

This doesn't mean if I send in the 100 bucks that I am committed to attend, does it? Since the email said this was to "hold" a spot I figured I could withdraw anytime before May 15th. But the second quote made the deposit seem like a contractually agreement.

Any thoughts anyone?

By the way, I already sent in the check. I didn't want to wait on an acceptance no matter what.

Thanks guys.

Ok, this seems like the perfect thread to get some help. So here goes:

I just got an acceptance (my first--hooray) from my state school. They emailed me and asked for a $100.00 deposit to 'hold' a position in next year's class for me.

The email also said this deposit is a "declaration of your intent to enroll here and the full amount of your deposit will be applied to your first semester fees."

This doesn't mean if I send in the 100 bucks that I am committed to attend, does it? Since the email said this was to "hold" a spot I figured I could withdraw anytime before May 15th. But the second quote made the deposit seem like a contractually agreement.

Any thoughts anyone?

By the way, I already sent in the check. I didn't want to wait on an acceptance no matter what.

Thanks guys.

You are correct, it is a refundable deposit. You aren't committed yet.