Holding multiple seats (DO applicants)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpstartmy5HT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you plan to put down multiple deposits so you can have a longer time to make a decision on which school to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you plan to put down multiple deposits so you can have a longer time to make a decision on which school to attend?

I can't see a reason to do this unless you have a significant other looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple deposits because of indecision? No. I hope no one is planning on doing this, at least, not at this point in the cycle. You have a minimum of 30 days at this point, that should be more than enough time to come to a decision. Not only is it a waste of money, (unless you plan to write-off that deposit as a donation to the school) but it puts another applicant's cycle in jeopardy.

That being said, if you are accepted to multiple schools late in the cycle (Spring or Early Summer) and have to put a deposit down within a week or immediately, I think it would be a different story...but even still, by that time you should have been able to come to a conclusion about where you want to go.

Alternatively, putting a deposit down for the #1 school you've been accepted to (but not the #1 school on your list), and waiting to hear from that top choice is a different story IMO. Still a potential tax write-off, but it's in the hopes that you will be able to matriculate at at school you would much prefer to spend 4 years at.

(I don't know if you can actually write-off deposits like that...the idea of doing that just came to me while I was writing this, but seems like it might be a viable option for applicants (or parents of applicants) who are foregoing that reasonably large sum of money. Might be something to look into if you do wind up placing multiple deposits.)

You guys raise some good points.

In my situation it would have boiled down to being near an extremely large part of my family and all the drama and benefits that entails, or moving to somewhere I've always wanted to experience (a life goal, so to speak), so I would have gladly paid. I am not a spring chicken so time with family is highly valued, not all of them will live forever. In my situation, my top three were all #1 for me, but for different reasons. Thankfully, I didn't have to make that choice, or perhaps I did subconsciously in my interviews.

Multiple deposits because of indecision? No. I hope no one is planning on doing this, at least, not at this point in the cycle. You have a minimum of 30 days at this point, that should be more than enough time to come to a decision. Not only is it a waste of money, (unless you plan to write-off that deposit as a donation to the school) but it puts another applicant's cycle in jeopardy.

That being said, if you are accepted to multiple schools late in the cycle (Spring or Early Summer) and have to put a deposit down within a week or immediately, I think it would be a different story...but even still, by that time you should have been able to come to a conclusion about where you want to go.

Alternatively, putting a deposit down for the #1 school you've been accepted to (but not the #1 school on your list), and waiting to hear from that top choice is a different story IMO. Still a potential tax write-off, but it's in the hopes that you will be able to matriculate at at school you would much prefer to spend 4 years at.

(I don't know if you can actually write-off deposits like that...the idea of doing that just came to me while I was writing this, but seems like it might be a viable option for applicants (or parents of applicants) who are foregoing that reasonably large sum of money. Might be something to look into if you do wind up placing multiple deposits.)

You can't write off the deposit for any tax break unless you do some "creative" accounting.

I would just like to note that although I said not all of my family will live forever in my previous post, I fully expect for some of them to :p

But anyways, that was my line of thinking for paying more than one deposit. I would have tried my hardest to only pay one, though.

You can't write off the deposit for any tax break unless you do some "creative" accounting.

Haha, you're right. Turns out the IRS specifically states that any payment towards tuition or fees prior to enrollment is prohibited from being a charitable donation because it is considered personal gain.

see SDN: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/deposits-charitable-donation.602806/

(That being said, I do know some "creative" accountants...I may have to pay them a visit soon.)

I know some of those creative accounting tips. I would share with you, but I would have to levy a fee...