Holding off physics affect admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Fixer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say I apply in May and don't have my physics done. I've taken one already but I want to save the last two for the end. If I hold off physics till the last two quarters winter and spring after applying. Will adcom not take my application seriously or wait till i have those classes finished, then decide? since its a prereq course, Or will it not affect anything? How does this work? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tooth Fixer said:
Lets say I apply in May and don't have my physics done. I've taken one already but I want to save the last two for the end. If I hold off physics till the last two quarters winter and spring after applying. Will adcom not take my application seriously or wait till i have those classes finished, then decide? since its a prereq course, Or will it not affect anything? How does this work? Thanks

As long as you finish the prereq's before you enroll. You do not need to have finished the prereqs inorder to apply or be considered.

they will take you application serious even if it is a prereq.....you just have to update your file when you take the class.....i got accpeted without physics and my acceptance letter just said we need your transcripts for physics

Members don't see this ad :)
Tooth Fixer said:

i am taking my last quarter of physics right now and I applied last year. It has not affected my application nor my acceptances. It does not make a difference. dont worry. as long as you complete it before you graduate.

Its quite stupid to take physics any earlier than your senior year if you are applying to dental schools...that is unless you are a physics major. I mean really, it is completely useless and perhaps the least considered pre-req, as the dental curriculum lacks everything that has to do with physics other than blood flow and some small anatomy. People who take physics early are just risking their GPA, and increasing the headaches.

SOME schools will even let you waive your physics requirements once you are admitted, so don't hesitate to ask them!

(You'll probably have to take one semester, but even that ought to typically be taken AFTER you've applied and submitted grades).

ItsGavinC said:
SOME schools will even let you waive your physics requirements once you are admitted, so don't hesitate to ask them!

(You'll probably have to take one semester, but even that ought to typically be taken AFTER you've applied and submitted grades).

I can't waive it since its required for my major. But thanks for answering my questions guys. Now I can take it later on and not worry about it.