Holding on to Multiple Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is this myth that keeps getting propagated around that says if you are holding on to multiple acceptances (3-4) that other schools will see this post feb and WAITLIST you rather than accept you (as opposed to the idea that had you only been holding on to one school you would have been accepted-ie you were an "acceptable" candidate at that particular school). I just want to say this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I think many schools know, at the least, a bunch of students can't make a final decision until they know what the financial aid award is gonna be ... an those won't come until April at the earliest. So why would a school expect you to cut loose everyone else but them, in "hopes" of getting into their institution or getting a great award from a particular school...

Does anyone know anything to confirm or refute this?

CCW

Members don't see this ad.

I heard this is true, especially for applicants holding acceptances at any of the schools where I got waitlisted... ;)

On a serious note, I hope this isn't the case at all. The May 15 deadline was established so that there could be a fair amount of movement off of waitlists to fill classes before the summer started... I think. It makes sense that if a school wants a candidate to accept thier offer, then they should provide them with an acceptance, an offer of financial aid, and then do the magic W until May 15.

I do not buy into this for the most part; although if Jo Bob College of Medicine in Washington State finds out that one of their applicants from Boston just got into Harvard, they might do the math and send him a rejection. Let me know if you find any evidence to support this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a semi-related question. I'm holding onto x amount of acceptances, but I still have a good idea of where I'm going to go. What I want to know is... can you wait to see if you get a good fin aid package from a school, and then turn around to the school you REALLY want to go to and say, "look, I'd like to go to your school, but school x is giving me this amount of money. can you match that?"

Is that even done? Because the reality is, money does make a difference.

Originally posted by SarahGM
I have a semi-related question. I'm holding onto x amount of acceptances, but I still have a good idea of where I'm going to go. What I want to know is... can you wait to see if you get a good fin aid package from a school, and then turn around to the school you REALLY want to go to and say, "look, I'd like to go to your school, but school x is giving me this amount of money. can you match that?"

i really dont think you can negotiate in terms of financial aid. they have accepted more than the required amount to fill their class, not including the waitlist. if you dont like what they have offered you...then oh well. thats all the school can basically offer you. are they going to renegotiate with the financial aid dept and ask to give you more money just cause you might not go there? why would they do that when they have other qualified applicants that are ready to accept a spot into the class. money is a way...for example...lesser ranked (for the lack of a better term) schools to attract top applicants...but higher ranked schools dont need to try and convince anyone.

the schools only have so much money...if they give you more...that means another person has to take less than what they could have gotten at the same school etc...

I've heard that some schools are very accommodating in terms of aid and are definitely willing to negotiate your package. I think it just depends on the school. If you're wondering about whether you can or can't negotiate, try to contact some students from the school you're interested in and see what they know about this topic.

Originally posted by efex101
You CAN negotiate if you are holding multiple acceptances to the same caliber of schools.

that i can imagine. but for schools that are not of the same caliber...i just think the top schools will not be accomodating.

but for schools that are not of the same caliber...i just think the top schools will not be accomodating.

I disagree. In my experience, I have found that top schools are actually some of the most accomodating because (1) they have to compete with one another to get the top students, (2) they often have the most money (i.e. rich alumni, large endowments), and (3) a good portion of a school's reputation depends on the success of its graduates (i.e. might this student one day contend for the Nobel Prize, be the head of the CDC/WHO, etc.) so they are actively trying to get the best students.

If you look at some of the X school vs. Y school postings, you'll notice that there are a number of top students have the choice of a good school plus full tuition scholarship vs. an amazing private school. This is a common dilemma for admissions committees at top schools and they know that they will have to be more flexible in order to get the best students.

Originally posted by SarahGM

As a friend in sales taught me a few years ago, "if you don't ask, they can't say 'yes.'" (But, be prepared for "no.")

Cheers,
Judy

right, the top schools tend to compete for the same students and have more money. when i started graduate school i negotiated my package quite effectively. this is your job for the next four years, it only makes sense to negotiate your "salary" with the potential "employer"... you can't apply the logic that the school won't negotiate with you because there are other people they could accept instead...if you did that, the logic would hold in the real-world job market as well and there would be no salary negotiation, raises, etc...
instead, you have to say, the school accepted ME, that means they want ME to attend.
now, i'm not saying you should be cocky or try to "play" schools. I am simply saying that if you have multiple acceptances and the school you really want to go to is not competing financially with another school on your list, that school should be willing to work with you a little bit to try and get you there.

graduate students tho are treated like gods when compared to medical students who are interviewing.

i was just saying...if i got into a top 10 school that gave me an offer and an average school that gave me a full ride...i wont be able to effectively go to the top ten school and go....hey im getting a full ride here...give me a lot more $$ if you want me to come. i dont see the top school adding on a signficant amount of money (non-loans) to the package they already gave you.

now i can see more of a battle between schools that are of the same caliber like efex said...(ie deciding between 2 top 10 schools)

i was just saying...if i got into a top 10 school that gave me an offer and an average school that gave me a full ride...i wont be able to effectively go to the top ten school and go....hey im getting a full ride here...give me a lot more $$ if you want me to come. i dont see the top school adding on a signficant amount of money (non-loans) to the package they already gave you.

you'd be surprised. the top 10/20 schools are those with the deepest pockets [just like the most competitive colleges - endowments] and will help you out if they can. a few friends last year who had full or partial scholarships to 'average' [to use your language] schools very successfully negotiated with a top5 and top 15 school to get a more favorable financial aid package, and they both ended up matriculating at the respective schools [both were from middle class backgrounds].

for example, instead of handing out full/partial scholarships [like penn does], cornell is very flexible with regards to financial aid. some schools, of course, are more receptive than others. like someone above said - doesn't hurt to try. if you're worried about insulting their sensibilities - don't be.

A friend of mine, a california resident, got into UCI and UNiversity of MIchigan. She told MIchigan she was going to have to decline based on her in-state tuition at UCI, and MIchigan gave her a full ride in return. She went to Michigan.

Again, it never hurts to ask :)