Holding up my application...what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to about 5 schools MD, PhD out of a total 25 schools. Right now the two essays for the PhD side is holding up my application. Should I submit my application for the 20 MD only schools and later add the other 5 MD, PhD schools when the other essays are done? I wont' be done with those essays for a couple weeks. Can I even do this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

YES! Although applying to med school sucks, one of the great things is that you can add schools at a later date. If your personal statement, activities, etc are finished, then definitely submit now to the MD only schools. This way you'll get verified and when you apply to the MD/PHD schools the application will go straight through to the schools. Good luck!

*EDIT*

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. Thanks Durfen for catching my mistake.

Gonzo12164 said:
I will be applying to about 5 schools MD, PhD out of a total 25 schools. Right now the two essays for the PhD side is holding up my application. Should I submit my application for the 20 MD only schools and later add the other 5 MD, PhD schools when the other essays are done? I wont' be done with those essays for a couple weeks. Can I even do this? Thanks!

You cannot change or add essays after you submit. So no, you cannot despite the previous poster's enthusiasm who did not see that you haven't finished the statements yet.

durfen said:
You cannot change or add essays after you submit. So no, you cannot despite the previous poster's enthusiasm who did not see that you haven't finished the statements yet.

Hey durfen, I was curious if you are going through the same thing? I was going to call AMCAS to see if this was possible. I know that if you select a school and do not choose any MD, PhD programs then only the PS essay shows up and the other two essays do not show up. If you add another school on the list does that mean you cannot select the MD, PhD then? Thanks for the help!

Rich