Holds without being interviewed!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Jacobean3

I recently recieved a letter from Rush saying that my application has been put on hold but I haven't even recieved an interview!
Also, would it be advisable to submit a letter of intent now?

Members don't see this ad.

i think a letter of intent is only appropriate after you've had an interview. at this point, it would probably be more effective if you asked someone from your college's pre-med committee to call Rush to tell them how serious you are about the school, and ask if they will consider giving you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't mean it's "improbable" i don't know what rush's policy is, but i am sure you have an excellent shot at an interview, otherwise you would have been rejected.

i just think (and if anyone knows better, please correct me) that it would be difficult for an adcomm to take a letter of intent seriously if you haven't gone to an interview yet. letters of intent are best reserved for later on in the process, in case you are put on a wait list after you've interviewed. you've seen the school, and they've seen you, so when you gush about them in your letter, and tell them you are completely devoted to them above any other school, it sounds more sincere.

i would strongly advise first talking to your school's premed committee or premed advisor to see if they can help you out now. med schools will love to interview people who are very interested in them, and having someone with authority to pass along that message indicates to schools that you really are worthwhile, and aren't just sending out the same letter of intent to every place. of course, if you can't get your school to help you, go ahead and send the letter. it can't hurt.

Thanks so much for the great advice. I really appreciate the informative response! How do you feel about communicating with admin at Rush via email? Would that work just as well as a letter, or better yet should I visit the school and talk to a counselor there?

I am fairly sure that applications go through intense screening - the adcom person I talked to said everyones application gets evaluated by at least two members of the committee, and by evaluated she meant every single word is read. If it passes through favorably by the two, then an interview can be granted or it can be sent on to further members. so basically, your file just got recirculated and will be evaluated by a couple more members. Dont worry, Rush admissions is a very long drawn out process and not getting rejected after an "inital" screening is a very good thing.

You guys are amazing and such a big help! I love you guys :clap:
Thanks for helping me feel better!

Rush tells EVERYONE who isn't invited after initial screening, that they are on HOLD.

Rejection from Rush comes in May.