Home Health Agency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good business? I'm thinking after PA school, I'd like to venture off into this type of business. I've worked with a RN, she owned the clinic and rakes in about $300,000 net, bringing about $800,000 w/ <100 Pts.

Could someone do the same such as home medical services as a PA, hiring MA's etc? Home Health Nursing seems easier considering old people are easily referable from MD/DO connections and you can hire LVNs/HHAs to do most of the work visiting homes.

I wouldn't mind working part-time as a PA while also running a home health agency.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a pa who does home visits for 100% of his business. apparently he is doing well as he is hiring 2 more PAs to help out with the pt load. as a pa you still need to hire an sp to meet state requirements but in many states this just means some chart review. common arrangements work out to $1000/mo or so + a malpractice policy for the doc.

Good business? I'm thinking after PA school, I'd like to venture off into this type of business. I've worked with a RN, she owned the clinic and rakes in about $300,000 net, bringing about $800,000 w/ <100 Pts.

Could someone do the same such as home medical services as a PA, hiring MA's etc? Home Health Nursing seems easier considering old people are easily referable from MD/DO connections and you can hire LVNs/HHAs to do most of the work visiting homes.

I wouldn't mind working part-time as a PA while also running a home health agency.

You'll have to ask yourself how being a PA, rather than an RN or NP will make it easier on you to run a business that isn't centered around providing PA services, but rather nursing care services. If you browse the PA forums, and the allnurses NP forums, you'll find folks that do homecare visits as medical providers, and even run their own practice environments (albeit PAs often have some hangups to deal with that NPs don't... hiring a supervising physician, etc). But you don't generally see a PA delve into running a homecare operation that focuses primarily on what nurses and nurse assisting personel provide. Essentially, you wouldn't really even need a PA degree unless you plan to go out and make visits yourself to prescribe care. Maybe you plan to be the one evaluating the patients, and then subsequently providing services through your own company.... feeding business to yourself, essentially. In that case, you have to determine what kind of reimbursement the government and insurers will approve, or if they even will. Again, peruse the PA forums and read about some of the difficulty some of the self employed PAs face when trying to get thier patient's care that they try to initiate.... there are some barriers.You might also find that there is red tape regarding delegating to LVNs that may require someone with an RN in your organization. I worked with an RN who went to work for another RN who owned a home care company, and there was a lot of money to be had there. My friend was just going to be an employee, and was going to be making quite a bit just on their own without being any kind of stakeholder in the company itself. The fact that they were experienced RNs made that a reasonable venture, but being an NP or PA wouldn't contribute much more unless there was some aspect of it that dealt with practitioner visits. I also can't imagine working for someone who didnt have much of a clue what the work entailed, and being a PA wouldn't do anything for you in that regard. It would be more practical to want to run a home care business that focused on having PAs treat homebound patients.

If it were me, I'd also be mindful of how long it would take as a new PA (or as a new NP or RN) to get a grasp on my new role as a provider while trying to manage an operation as complex as that could be. It kind of sets you up to have two >full time jobs and not being able to handle either of them well.