Home Health on the side...?

Started by Larz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Larz

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Almost done with PT school and will be looking to get a job (OP pref)wherever really. I really want to start a home health care business on the side and build a client base slowly. Any help I could get in pointing me in the right direction(legal, licensing, etc.,) would be great.
 
This is a hard one to answer as it is based on the laws of each state, but is def possible. I think the first step is figuring where you want to practice. Then you have to look at need in the area. Then you should look at insurances and how to get reimbursed for your services (with medicare, you need to apply and have a national provider number). And last, but definitely not least, is making sure you know how to include it on your taxes.

Did you have any business classes in PT school? If so, your best bet is to ask the professor who taught it....or any of your current professors who have experience with opening a business.
 
Almost done with PT school and will be looking to get a job (OP pref)wherever really. I really want to start a home health care business on the side and build a client base slowly. Any help I could get in pointing me in the right direction(legal, licensing, etc.,) would be great.


Get your license first before making any plans. What type of home care business are you looking to start? Medicare home care involves nursing, aids social worker, etc., a very long process. PT home care is another thing. Search for IN HOME REHAB, they'll get you started for a fee and maintenance fee of at least 5k per month.
Or you can contract with home health agencies. I charge $75 to $90/visit and home health agencies pay me without any insurance involve.
Either way, you're gonna have to acquire experience as you are alone in the patient's house with not a lot of equipments with you.
I worked at a least 3 years before getting into it. It might be a long process, but I was ready when they sent me out.
Also, there are other legalities involved if you should admit the patient or not. So, try to not think about it yet. Get some experience in an outpatient setting that sees geriatric and ortho patients.