Home Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTAide2DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've become increasingly interested in the field of home health and I'm highly likely to pursue it after graduation and licensure. I have a good shot of having my 4th clinical education with Bayada. In my area, Fox Rehab and Bayada seem to be two of the top home health providers. Bayada also partners with Jefferson and other local hospitals. If any current home health therapists/assistants can answer a few of my questions or provide advice I'd appreciate it.
  • What are the pros/cons over a traditional home health therapist vs. one that is partnered with a hospital.
    • Is there an increase in salary when your referrals come from recently discharged patients?
  • I don't think Fox Rehab employs nurses. I've heard from a home health therapist on YouTube that he would NOT work for a provider that doesn't employ nurses, do you agree with that?
  • How much manual therapy do you provide? How often do you provide manipulations, mobilizations, massage, IASTM, etc.
    • If so, do home health therapists bring a portable massage table to bill for these manipulations?
  • The #1 negative of home health that I've consistently heard from therapists is documentation being completed at home.
    • What time do you typically finish your notes? Lets assume you saw 5 patients (1 eval, 3 treats, and 1 discharge)
    • What time is too late to sign off on your documentation?
  • What's the one thing every PT student should know before applying for a home health position?
  • I've heard employers typically compensate therapists by paying ~.40 cents per mile traveled
    • Do employers normally provide compensation for parking or toll expenses? Or is that unlikely?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you go on the Reddit website and search for comments about Fox Rehab in the Physical Therapy subsection.

Compensation in the home-health environment has a lot of moving parts so comparing offers is not easy unless you know all of the details of each job.

Ease and time spent on documentation is very dependent on the software that is used.

Make sure to ask what software will be used and if it has the functionality that you need.

Finally, make sure to ask about the types of patients you’ll be seeing and what kind of feedback or support you’ll have if needed. Knowing these details can all help you decide which job offer in physical therapy is best for your experience and goals.