Home health Pediatric PT salary

Started by PT2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PT2002

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I'm a new grad PT in FL and I recently have been offered a position in pediatric HH as a contract PT. I'd be working as a contractor with a rate of $50.00 per 1 Hr visit. No mileage reimbursement, no benefits. Is this the average pay in this area? I have no experience in HH so I'm not sure if it's fair. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would decline simply because of a lack of travel reimbursement and not receiving benefits. Is that typical of contract therapists to not receive travel reimbursements or benefits though?
 
The last clinical I had was in Home Health. My CI gets paid the standard IRS mileage ($0.575/mi, for 2015). She has been in HH for 18 years, and told me she has always been paid mileage.

OP - Several PTs I know get paid $45-$50/hr for PRN positions, no benefits, in the Raleigh (NC) area. Your area may have higher/lower rates. But you should definitely be paid mileage for a HH gig.
 
How does travel time work on this type of set up? Say it takes you 30 mins to travel between patients....is that generally lost wage time? When I consider that, $50/hour doesn't sound too good to me either.
 
Travel time: each PT has a specific territory to cover. We would spend about 15-20 mins driving between patients. My CI was expected to see 6 patients/day, and the minimum "in-house" time is 50 mins. So, approximately 70 mins/patient (20 mins to get there, and 50 mins of treatment) or 70x6 = 420 mins total/day (7 hrs). You also have to add time to write notes. We were in a fairly small town, so the distances were not too bad. We drove ~50 mi/day on average. If you have a large territory, the travel time can be much higher.

At $0.575/mi (standard IRS-allowed rate for mileage for 2015), this would add about $7K/year to your annual paycheck, assuming 250 working days/yr. This is to cover wear-and-tear and gas costs.
 
Last edited: