Home Health PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xrsizept

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there are any PTs who are practicing home health care? I am thinking of making the switch from outpatient PT to home health. What are the hours and the work load like? I have a 4 y/o and I am looking for for something more flexibile....and I think the pay is better. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It can be fun, but my experiences were a bit of a drag at times. Outpatient ortho most folks are walking in/out and doing reasonably well. Most patients who are appropriate for home care are going through tough times.

I did HH for a few months for some extra cash, but didn't like it too much. After sitting in cat pee and smelling like cigs following a day at work, I decided I'd settle for my base ortho salary.

Also, don't forget to add the cost of insurance and benefits as well to your HH cost if you go full time. Good luck. :thumbup:

I have not worked in HH yet but am actively applying to work per diem. However a friend of mine moved from acute care to home health and loves it. She says the autonomy is great and you have 45-60 minutes of 1:1 time where you feel like you are making a difference with people. She also likes the flexibility of scheduling and computerized documentation.