Home SPG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmeanesthesia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a good method of prescribing home SPG for a migraine abortive? I’ve prescribed lidocaine drops successfully but I’m not sure what I can prescribe for equipment to administer it (dropper, syringes, etc).
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My method involved giving my patients a 10cc bottle of 0.25% bupivacaine and some alcohol wipes, and a 3cc syringe, 18ga needle for drawing it up, then a 25ga needle and needle cap with a hole in the end of the needle cap (drilled with another 18ga needle). The patient would insert the capped 25 ga needle into their nose horizontal to the floor, and forcefully inject 1/2ml. This blocks the SPG. Another method is with a perfume atomizer with bupivacaine.

How do they get the home lidocaine? Do you write a specific prescription?

You can write a prescription for lidocaine or bupivacaine but if the pharmacy is not familiar with it then weird things happen. Some of the pharmacies will dispense lidocaine gel which is for a sore throat. Some will dispense glass ampules. Walmart got some of the 30 ml bottles and charged a patient over $40/bottle.

I have patients who will buy afrin in the squeeze tube and squirt out the afrin and replace it with lidocaine. They could put it in a pump tube like for nasal steroid also. To get a good block they sometimes need to lay supine with the head tilted back and then infuse 1 ml into the nares and allow it to drain back into the sinus, if the sinus is not congested.

Reactions: 1 user
youtube training. local idiot at your service.

I used to do that, but had a few patients that developed minor nose bleeds. Your system is much better, however. Very cool to have your kid filming that and having him help (I'll bet you are a great dad)! We would use 2-3 q-tips, and it was harder on the mucosa.

They used to make this orange spray bottle of lidocaine with a "WD-40" applicator, but they don't make that anymore.

Now we use the urological lidocaine application system to minimize any trauma to the mucosa. Like your system and may try that relative to the urological bit- looks effective and easy to do.

I used to do that, but had a few patients that developed minor nose bleeds. Your system is much better, however. Very cool to have your kid filming that and having him help (I'll bet you are a great dad)! We would use 2-3 q-tips, and it was harder on the mucosa.

They used to make this orange spray bottle of lidocaine with a "WD-40" applicator, but they don't make that anymore.

Now we use the urological lidocaine application system to minimize any trauma to the mucosa. Like your system and may try that relative to the urological bit- looks effective and easy to do.

Thanks. Goods were not happy when i used them to improve my sij technique.