Homeschooled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whats-up-doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do medical schools think of homeschooled students? Is this in any way a disadvantage or advantage, or would this even affect chances at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a question I have also thought about. I was homeschooled and I was wondering if this would help me or not

Members don't see this ad :)
Why should it help or hurt?
That's what I'm wondering. Considering homeschoolers are probably the minority compared to people who went through public school, I'm wondering if being homeschooled your entire life would be considered a disadvantage by med schools or if they would even care.

What do medical schools think of home-schooled students? Is this in any way a disadvantage or advantage, or would this even affect chances at all?
I can't sugar coat my thoughts:

1) My first judgement is someone had parents who didn't want their kids to go to school with Blacks or Jews.

2) I live in an outstanding school district. Yet we still have some parents who home school their kids. Of those parents I know, they seem to have control issues.

3) The US military finds that home-schooled kids are less adaptable to military life, due to lacking in experience in team functions

Frankly, I don't think that it either adds or subtracts anything to your app. It's like high school...whatever happened there, stays there.

I supposed it could also mean that one lived in a really lousy school district.

Reactions: 2 users
What do medical schools think of homeschooled students? Is this in any way a disadvantage or advantage, or would this even affect chances at all?
It doesn't mean nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
Through high school, it would just be an interesting tidbit to set you apart. Could certainly be an advantage if you were home-schooled by serious intellectuals who nurtured your desire for self-learning. Or a disadvantage if you were home-schooled by religious zealots who wanted to assure you were never exposed to 'harmful' ideas.

Mostly, as with everything else, it's what you do with it --

Through high school, it would just be an interesting tidbit to set you apart. Could certainly be an advantage if you were home-schooled by serious intellectuals who nurtured your desire for self-learning. Or a disadvantage if you were home-schooled by religious zealots who wanted to assure you were never exposed to 'harmful' ideas.

Mostly, as with everything else, it's what you do with it --
I was with the latter but ended up as the former.

1) My first judgement is someone had parents who didn't want their kids to go to school with Blacks or Jews.

2) I live in an outstanding school district. Yet we still have some parents who home school their kids. Of those parents I know, they seem to have control issues.

3) The US military finds that home-schooled kids are less adaptable to military life, due to lacking in experience in team functions

Frankly, I don't think that it either adds or subtracts anything to your app. It's like high school...whatever happened there, stays there.

I went to a public school where I was bullied in some pretty horrific ways, which were largely ignored or even tacitly encouraged by members of the faculty. So was anyone else who was remotely different in any way, including the black and jewish kids. I tried to get to be homeschooled, to get away from that, but it was really hard to do back then in that jurisdiction. Just saying, depending on the area, the kids and parents who don't want diversity may be enough in the majority that homeschooling is really the only safe option for kids in the minority.

uhhhh....What ? :confused:
Is that really one of your first thoughts? Maybe parents have control issues or something ( and the kid can't do anything about that), but seriously? Overly racist parents? ( I mean , that still wouldn't be the kid's fault, but still).

My experience with parents who home schooled (n=4 families raising kids from 1990-2015) were people in a bad school district who were religiously conservative, intellectual, and placing a higher value on having a parent at home with the children over having a two-income family which meant home-school rather than private school. The families I know had 4, 5 and 6 kids. Family life in those households is a team sport. As always, YMMV.

I think that it would more than likely make you seem unique if it even matters at all.

Most people are homeschooled just because that's what their parents wanted to do and not for any other reasons. Like i mentioned before I was homeschooled my entire life and this was always the case.

I would think that if medical schools did care at all it would be in a positive light

I think that it would more than likely make you seem unique if it even matters at all.

Most people are homeschooled just because that's what their parents wanted to do and not for any other reasons. Like i mentioned before I was homeschooled my entire life and this was always the case.

I would think that if medical schools did care at all it would be in a positive light
I agree that this could be the case. Especially in the case of a homeschooler graduating early and getting a head start on college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess another question I have is would you even have to put that you're homeschooled on your app? Is it necessary to do so, should you, and/or would it be better not to?

Children do not have a choice in education when it comes to homeschooled. At least with me it was that way. Emotional enmeshment happens and even when you do have a chance to say no, you don't. :/

I guess another question I have is would you even have to put that you're homeschooled on your app? Is it necessary to do so, should you, and/or would it be better not to?

The only question remotely related is the name of the HS you graduated from. I've seen "homeschools" as a response to that. In other cases, someone might have been homeschooled for a period of time but attended and graduated from a traditional HS.

Ok, I waited until I was at a computer to fully respond to people's ideas with homeschooling.

1. Religion has a major impact on whether or not you are going to be homeschooled. Honestly, it does.
As a homeschooled individual, I was deeply involved in religion and how it would save me. I was entrenched in the idea that the world was a bad place and it would hurt you... spiritually. Thus the idea that the world is against you, traditional education raised sinful people who actively hated God, and if you are not perfectly raised by your parents in an environment that is entirely biblically centered, then you would be a bad person permeates the very fabric of your individuality. As I was homeschooled from day one to Highschool, I can say this has most made me aware of the dangers of specific types of thinking. These are as follows: Victim mentality, all or nothing, elitism, intolerance, seclusion(I count this as this breeds many other destructive thoughts.), Labeling, Personalization, and many... many more.

2. Homeschooling is not better in any way... just different.
People often think that because you were homeschooled that you are smarter, or have a higher IQ, or are simply learn faster. I hear it all the time.
I also hear the ideas that people think that you are dumber, have a lower IQ, or are less adapt to learning.

I have seen both. Some parents are HELL to their kids. (I remember as a kid hearing a parent tell their child (12-13) to write a 5-page research paper!) Others couldn't care less, and simply pass their kids from grade to grade... when college strikes... if it does... then they are so far behind they fail, and drop out. Again, parents don't care.

3. Yes, social life SUCKS.

In my experiance, I was isolated. My parents were against joining Co-ops so, I was left to my own devices. I did **** but then turned to books, and learning. By age 13, I was reading on thermo-nuclear bombs, and reading Stephen Hawkings... (I snuck that book in the large bag of library books.... my mom eventually found it. She thought I was turning to the Devil... I had serious doubts with my religion and I was eventually emotionally manipulated to stop questioning and instead get baptized.... as if that fixed anything...)
It is because I was isolated that I turned to books... It was because I turned to books to become a doctor.

You see I can't say its ALL BAD, but I will never negate the issues that abound with homeschooling.

I have simply highlighted some of the issues. (Imagine being the mother stuck at home for over 22 years homeschooling 3 children... Or the daughters that were forced to think that they could not receive more than an AA.. or the idea that as a father you were responsible (you soul would pay the price) for what your children did.)

I know that if I was an ADCOM I would take a serious look at the person who came from being homeschooled. I would want to see how they handled criticism, and how they handle praise, how they handle stress, and what their lives look like. I would NEED to know who they are before I would even think about accepting them.

I know because of my experience I would not want to homeschool my children, but rather, private school them in a VERY good (healthy) environment... I honestly don't think its bad, but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone... at least the style I had growing up.

I know because of my growing up I am not very outgoing, I am nervous with people at first... I am SUPER scared of becoming a father and messing up. Growing up in a Jewish/Christian background makes me realize that conservative religions don't help people, but enable their dysfunction. I learned that just because you are religions don't mean anything... you need to put in the leg-work to be a healthy person and truly make a difference...

I hope this candid opening helps some ADCOMS realize that some come from an unhealthy background, but are truly trying to be healthy... That some come from better backgrounds and make it fine.... Just be careful when selecting a homeschooled student... make sure they are healthy... they can hurt many a person... even after med school... even as a doctor.

Feel free to ask, reply, or just share your experiences.

EDIT: These messages were not always told to me, but what I walked away with. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Ok, I waited until I was at a computer to fully respond to people's ideas with homeschooling.

1. Religion has a major impact on whether or not you are going to be homeschooled. Honestly, it does.
As a homeschooled individual, I was deeply involved in religion and how it would save me. I was entrenched in the idea that the world was a bad place and it would hurt you... spiritually. Thus the idea that the world is against you, traditional education raised sinful people who actively hated God, and if you are not perfectly raised by your parents in an environment that is entirely biblically centered, then you would be a bad person permeates the very fabric of your individuality. As I was homeschooled from day one to Highschool, I can say this has most made me aware of the dangers of specific types of thinking. These are as follows: Victim mentality, all or nothing, elitism, intolerance, seclusion(I count this as this breeds many other destructive thoughts.), Labeling, Personalization, and many... many more.

People often think that because you were homeschooled that you are smarter, or have a higher IQ, or are simply learn faster. I hear it all the time.
I also hear the ideas that people think that you are dumber, have a lower IQ, or are less adapt to learning.

I have seen both. Some parents are HELL to their kids. (I remember as a kid hearing a parent tell their child (12-13) to write a 5-page research paper!) Others couldn't care less, and simply pass their kids from grade to grade... when college strikes... if it does... then they are so far behind they fail, and drop out. Again, parents don't care.

In my experiance, I was isolated. My parents were against joining Co-ops so, I was left to my own devices. I did **** but then turned to books, and learning. By age 13, I was reading on thermo-nuclear bombs, and reading Stephen Hawkings... (I snuck that book in the large bag of library books.... my mom eventually found it. She thought I was turning to the Devil... I had serious doubts with my religion and I was eventually emotionally manipulated to stop questioning and instead get baptized.... as if that fixed anything...)
It is because I was isolated that I turned to books... It was because I turned to books to become a doctor.

You see I can't say its ALL BAD, but I will never negate the issues that abound with homeschooling.

I have simply highlighted some of the issues. (Imagine being the mother stuck at home for over 22 years homeschooling 3 children... Or the daughters that were forced to think that they could not receive more than an AA.. or the idea that as a father you were responsible (you soul would pay the price) for what your children did.)

I know that if I was an ADCOM I would take a serious look at the person who came from being homeschooled. I would want to see how they handled criticism, and how they handle praise, how they handle stress, and what their lives look like. I would NEED to know who they are before I would even think about accepting them.

I know because of my experience I would not want to homeschool my children, but rather, private school them in a VERY good (healthy) environment... I honestly don't think its bad, but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone... at least the style I had growing up.

I know because of my growing up I am not very outgoing, I am nervous with people at first... I am SUPER scared of becoming a father, and messing up. Growing up in a Jewish/Christian background makes me realize that conservative religions don't help people, but enable their dysfunction. I learned that just because you are religions don't mean anything... you need to put in the leg-work to be a healthy person and truly make a difference...

I hope this candid opening helps some ADCOMS realize that some come from an unhealthy background, but are truly trying to be healthy... That some come from better backgrounds and make it fine.... Just be careful when selecting a homeschooled student... make sure they are healthy... they can hurt many a person... even after medschool... even as a doctor.

Feel free to ask, reply, or just share your experiances.
Great post...great insight. Thank you.

I know because of my growing up I am not very outgoing, I am nervous with people at first... I am SUPER scared of becoming a father and messing up. Growing up in a Jewish/Christian background makes me realize that conservative religions don't help people, but enable their dysfunction. I learned that just because you are religions don't mean anything... you need to put in the leg-work to be a healthy person and truly make a difference...

I hope this candid opening helps some ADCOMS realize that some come from an unhealthy background, but are truly trying to be healthy... That some come from better backgrounds and make it fine.... Just be careful when selecting a homeschooled student... make sure they are healthy... they can hurt many a person... even after med school... even as a doctor.

Feel free to ask, reply, or just share your experiences.

EDIT: These messages were not always told to me, but what I walked away with. :)

I wanted to add to this as well, as someone from a similar background.

I grew up home-schooled in a very rural area. My family was part of a pretty intense cult actually, one in which all of the members moved to a compound. It has been a bit of a journey for me to get to where I am now, and like you, I would not want my children to go through that either. The reality is that eventually you have to join real life again, and when you are a teenager with no outside perspective that can be quite difficult. When I finally moved into a city, I was very shocked and scared, but I eventually adapted, even though I do still deal with a certain level of anxiety about the world in general.

Growing up I didn't take Biology or Chemistry, at one point I tried to take a High school physics class and got a 58%, but the teacher (nicest guy ever) felt bad for me, and since I had been genuinely trying to get help with the class he let me pass with a 60%. It was demoralizing because I was working so hard and everyone else just understood everything- it was one of the moments I felt I would never continue my education further. I thought I was pretty stupid most of my life actually.

I worked with patients for a few years after "high school", and I decided that I really enjoyed being around people. I went to University with a lot of anxiety and fear over being tested. I really did not believe I had what it takes to be successful in the academic environment. The first math, pre-algebra, class I had to take at University was M096 (not even university level) it was the most difficult thing for me to handle, but I received an A and was so excited! I worked so hard the next couple years so that I could keep getting A's, and realized that I was catching up on years of unlearned background material.

I ended up graduation from University with over a 3.8 gpa, the result of being so stubborn about not letting my past change what I wanted my future to be. My family is really great, although somewhat misguided and pretty crazy. They were not cut out to be good home schooling teachers though, and I suffered on different levels because of it. There was not much guidance at all, and some days we wouldn't even do any school work. I think it does really come down to priorities, and in their mind the church was a more important calling than education. It's really fascinating too, because I come from a family that does have education (both of my grandparents), but I guess it doesn't change things when it comes to religious beliefs.

I'm glad this thread was made because we really are the minority of people, and when you add religion into the mix it can be a very isolating experience to go through. I think that home schooling should be considered in an application if it is something that the person would like to talk about. I think many of us are disadvantaged in social and educational ways. I don't want ADCOMS to feel bad for us, but I think that if you value people like URM from the inner-city or other groups of people of that nature, you should value that fact that us home schoolers may have had just as many disadvantages. I also think that home schoolers may have a unique ability to connect with people, and if we can get over the social awkwardness, fear of the world, and self-doubt, we sometimes are more thoughtful in our approach to the world than others.

Reactions: 3 users
I know many people might be disadvantaged as a homeschooler but I have a different perspective.

Being homeschooled has helped me tremendously. I was not uneducated or un socialized. In fact I finished high school and graduated 2 years early and was accepted into a highly competitive nursing program and I now plan on going to medical school. I was very well prepared for college.

Being homeschooled molded me into who I am today. I am very self confident and sure of my self because I was not pressured by anybody to be anybody but myself. I am not shy or anti social.

I am very glad that I was homeschooled and I feel that it makes me unique and not disadvantaged in getting into medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
I know many people might be disadvantaged as a homeschooler but I have a different perspective.

Being homeschooled has helped me tremendously. I was not uneducated or un socialized. In fact I finished high school and graduated 2 years early and was accepted into a highly competitive nursing program and I now plan on going to medical school. I was very well prepared for college.

Being homeschooled molded me into who I am today. I am very self confident and sure of my self because I was not pressured by anybody to be anybody but myself. I am not shy or anti social.

I am very glad that I was homeschooled and I feel that it makes me unique and not disadvantaged in getting into medical school.
I feel like it helps me as well, and I intend on homeschooling my kids. Personally, I was homeschooled (from 7th-12th and placed on "home bound" in the 4th grade) due to health issues, so I actually attended public school up until the 7th grade. Homeschooling definitely taught me the concept of time management, because I had the same freedom (if not more than) I do now as an undergraduate. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, because like you said, they've shaped me.

I technically graduated from an online private school, but most people just see it as homeschooling and find it pretty interesting. My honors advisor definitely thought it was interesting, and I often get questions about how college differs from being homeschooled. To be honest, I don't see why it couldn't be used as an answer to diversity prompts (assuming your homeschooling is also related to your interest in medicine).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why anyone would care unless being home schooled tied into another part of your application, like your personal statement or a diversity essay, instead of just being listed as your high school. N=1, but no one brought up high school during my app process (Catholic school, not home school). Besides, saying that being home schooled is an advantage or a disadvantage for applicants is probably too broad of an assumption. It's not like the quality of home school education is regulated, so how it affects a student would vary greatly between students.

I don't see why anyone would care unless being home schooled tied into another part of your application, like your personal statement or a diversity essay, instead of just being listed as your high school. N=1, but no one brought up high school during my app process (Catholic school, not home school). Besides, saying that being home schooled is an advantage or a disadvantage for applicants is probably too broad of an assumption. It's not like the quality of home school education is regulated, so how it affects a student would vary greatly between students.
In some states it is. Florida is known to be a hard state to homeschool... due to the regulations.

My social life in school was worse than my social life as a homeschooled student. Mainly because I had a fairly awful lisp and stutter as a child. That's not why I was homeschooled though - our family moved a lot and often we weren't in decent school districts (plus enrolling then re-enrolling is tough). I got to meet a lot of different types of people through this which was cool (but also my parents were diligent about not raising kids with zero social skills).

I feel like it helps me as well, and I intend on homeschooling my kids. Personally, I was homeschooled (from 7th-12th and placed on "home bound" in the 4th grade) due to health issues, so I actually attended public school up until the 7th grade. Homeschooling definitely taught me the concept of time management, because I had the same freedom (if not more than) I do now as an undergraduate. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, because like you said, they've shaped me.

I technically graduated from an online private school, but most people just see it as homeschooling and find it pretty interesting. My honors advisor definitely thought it was interesting, and I often get questions about how college differs from being homeschooled. To be honest, I don't see why it couldn't be used as an answer to diversity prompts (assuming your homeschooling is also related to your interest in medicine).
I agree that it could be used for diversity. In my case homeschooling definitely was related to my interest in medicine. Growing up my parents knew I was interested in medicine and because of this they allowed me to take many advanced science classes during homeschooling. I may not have had the same opportunities in public school.

I was always encouraged to learn and because of that I genuinely enjoy learning and am where I am today because of that.

I was homeschooled through high school as part of a "homeschool group" which functioned as both a social opportunity for kids and network for parents to exchange ideas on curriculum. However, it was largely dominated by extreme traditional Catholicism. Most families had at least five or more children and were primarily motivated to
Homeschool as a means to seclude their children from secular influences. Few parents were educated enough to do the job adequately and in hindsight, it had many cultish elements. I grew a distaste for it at a young age.

Fortunately, my parents were equally motivated to provide me with a better education than I would get at school. They are both professional biologists and designed my education around science, reading, and music. I became an insatiable reader at young age and learned to play a number of instruments quite well by the time I entered high school. I am thankful for this because it afforded a very convenient opportunity to support myself through college as a local singer/guitarist. Being homeschooled did not satisfy my social needs but that motivated me to chase social opportunities in high school. By the time I started college, I had a very diverse social network that I believe was beneficial to my personal development. I will say that being homeschooled did not challenge me enough academically. I performed well in standardized exams but had no concept of what it meant to work hard in school. It took almost two years of performing horribly in college classes before I developed the self awareness and responsibility needed to succeed academically. That set me back a bit but I feel that I have ultimately become better for it.

Someone asked me during a med school interview if I would homeschool my own children and I said no. One's social development and ability to function in the education system is critical. Learning ability doesn't amount to much if you don't have interpersonal skills and social awareness/adaptability. Homeschooling cultivates inadequate social development far too easily. It is at best risky in my opinion. This being said, I'm very appreciative for
Having parents that were so motivated to provide the best education they deemed possible. But now that I have rambled sufficiently, no one can hold your homeschooling against you, OP. If anything, it gives you something unique to talk about.

I was homeschooled exclusively for several years in middle and high school, and then took classes at my local high school. It didn't seem to hinder me at all this cycle; I'll be attending my top choice! If anything I think it provides and interesting talking point, and it also gives the opportunity to demonstrate that you are likely an independent and self-motivated learner who has at least, in part, had to self-direct your curriculum via intrinsic motivation! Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was homeschooled (my parents basically raised me in a religious cult, of which I am no longer any part of). I think it came up in one interview possibly because they asked about my childhood in relation to something on my app. Other than that, it was entirely a non-issue. Med schools didn't even realize I was homeschooled because they only received my college transcripts. I wouldn't even bother mentioning it.

One of my fellow interviewees at a top 10 told me he was homeschooled through high school. Being an otherwise "bland white male" (his words) he was able to use that for his diversity essays and felt like it gave him something interesting to talk about. He seemed very well mannered, well cultured and pretty well adjusted, FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile