Homosexuality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because let's face it, there is a higher attraction from the male viewer towards lesbians than female to gay men.
Greatest understatement EVER.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't involved in my school's LGBT organization until after I sent my primaries, so it wasn't included in my ECs. But I wrote about it for two secondaries, as the questions were pertinent. One school rejected me post-secondary, and the other invited me out, interviewed me with the head of their school's LGBT organization, and was overall extremely accomodating to and interested in that portion of my application. The latter interview was obviously an awesome experience, and that level of acceptance really offered a more relevent view of how my social life would integrate at that school versus if I'd hid that aspect in the application.

If I'd had the experience you do, I'd have definitely included it on my primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? You're comparing homosexuality to that? Being gay, in comparison to the above, is pointless. If they ask you why you're part of that organization, you can answer. But being gay has no bearing on why you're a physician, how hard working you are or even how intelligent you are. All those EC's, etc are meant to show your ability to manage your time, be involved and dedicate your time to selfless things. Unless you're standing behind the building offering sexual favors to same sex people everyday, being gay is not worth mentioning. In fact, it serves as a cry for attention, imo.:thumbdown:

*Note, I have nothing wrong against people that are gay.

First of all, the OP's question is not about putting "I'm gay" on her app--it's about listing her involvement in the LGBT organization--so your criticisms don't exactly apply.

Secondly, I don't think stating that one is gay (if one felt so inclined) would be pointless. In most cases, adcoms could assume that a gay applicant has dealt with discrimination and other challenges that have developed her character, left her with greater self-knowledge than the average 20 year old, and forced her to mature. Oh, she would also necessarily be more open-minded. So I'd say it could have a significant bearing on what kind of student/physician she could be.

Secondly, I don't think stating that one is gay (if one felt so inclined) would be pointless. In most cases, adcoms could assume that a gay applicant has dealt with discrimination and other challenges that have developed her character, left her with greater self-knowledge than the average 20 year old, and forced her to mature. Oh, she would also necessarily be more open-minded. So I'd say it could have a significant bearing on what kind of student/physician she could be.

Ditto for the Chinese kid raised in Kalamazoo or the Black kid raised in Brentwood. Let's not get carried away with heaping praise onto the OP. She's as special as everyone else. Aw.

Really? You're comparing homosexuality to that? Being gay, in comparison to the above, is pointless. If they ask you why you're part of that organization, you can answer. But being gay has no bearing on why you're a physician, how hard working you are or even how intelligent you are. All those EC's, etc are meant to show your ability to manage your time, be involved and dedicate your time to selfless things. Unless you're standing behind the building offering sexual favors to same sex people everyday, being gay is not worth mentioning. In fact, it serves as a cry for attention, imo.:thumbdown:

Are you being serious?? Contrary to what you apparently must believe, LGBT student organizations aren't just a front for circle jerks and scissor parties. The amount of dedication people put into, and leadership experience gained from being heavily involved with LGBT-related activities in many cases can out value a lot of the other stuff mentioned. While I have no desire to get into a discussion about the relative "value" of specific extracurriculars, I will say that it's hard for me to fathom how anyone could think that one couldn't get just as much valuable life experience volunteering at an urban HIV clinic/organizing civil rights rallies through your campus pride group, as being president of amsa/a frat/whatever.

Which brings me to a related point that, at least in theory, the whole reason med schools seek out URMs is that studies have shown that doctors from those populations are more likely to return to practice in those underserved communities. Regardless of how you feel about the various issues surrounding the gay lifestyle, surely you must admit that the LGBT community has a unique set of health care needs. Many gay patients prefer seeing LGBT doctors because they know that they can be open and honest about their lifestyle without fear of judgment, and that their doctor will be able to, at least on some level, relate to their needs better. Furthermore, gay med students/doctors can also provide a resource to help end this gay-patient-discrimination by making their straight counterparts more aware of how to better care for and be more sensitive to their LGBT patients. The more physicians that are properly trained and willing to work with an LGBT patient population, the better off those patients will be.

To the OP, I would encourage you to not be afraid to be out on your application. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, and while I can't speak for every school, it's hard to imagine how UChicago could be more LGBT-friendly. Along with there being an LGBT med student organization, the administration is very open about supporting education on LGBT issues (both relating to the patient and the doctor). Furthermore, even though I am very visibly out (going so far as "flaunting" my sexuality by occasionally kissing my boyfriend in public, :eek:), I've never had any inclination that anyone (students or faculty) has thought of or treated me any less because of it.

I know, I'm sure you have many gay friends...

I would leave it out. too many traditional people that it could hurt your chances with. There is a far better chance that it will hurt you rather than help you. It will most likely have no effect, but if anything it will hurt you.

Are you being serious?? Contrary to what you apparently must believe, LGBT student organizations aren't just a front for circle jerks and scissor parties. The amount of dedication people put into, and leadership experience gained from being heavily involved with LGBT-related activities in many cases can out value a lot of the other stuff mentioned. While I have no desire to get into a discussion about the relative "value" of specific extracurriculars, I will say that it's hard for me to fathom how anyone could think that one couldn't get just as much valuable life experience volunteering at an urban HIV clinic/organizing civil rights rallies through your campus pride group, as being president of amsa/a frat/whatever.

Read again - I never said being in an organization mentioned was bad.

Which brings me to a related point that, at least in theory, the whole reason med schools seek out URMs is that studies have shown that doctors from those populations are more likely to return to practice in those underserved communities. Regardless of how you feel about the various issues surrounding the gay lifestyle, surely you must admit that the LGBT community has a unique set of health care needs. Many gay patients prefer seeing LGBT doctors because they know that they can be open and honest about their lifestyle without fear of judgment, and that their doctor will be able to, at least on some level, relate to their needs better. Furthermore, gay med students/doctors can also provide a resource to help end this gay-patient-discrimination by making their straight counterparts more aware of how to better care for and be more sensitive to their LGBT patients. The more physicians that are properly trained and willing to work with an LGBT patient population, the better off those patients will be.
Realistically, yes, I agree

I know, I'm sure you have many gay friends...
Nope, 0. But it doesn't bother me.

First of all, the OP's question is not about putting "I'm gay" on her app--it's about listing her involvement in the LGBT organization--so your criticisms don't exactly apply.

The question was open-ended and so I misinterpreted. Apologies.

Note: I'm not trying to be rude, but I find your post frustrating. If you're going to make what I perceive to be somewhat ignorant comments and really, what I construe as prejudice remarks, please actually read what a post says. We are discussing whether or not the OP should put down that she held a leadership position in a LGBQT organization, which is very much the same as holding a leadership in any other organization (which is why I mentioned sports, music talent, etc.). While you don't absolutely need to mention it specifically, I think it's pretty normal that if you put down you were a leader of a LGBQT organization you might mention a motivation for being a part of it....like for instance, you being transgendered, gay, lesbian, etc. It's just as if you put down that were president of Asian Student Association, that the committee would instantly think you joined the organization because you yourself were asian and it was a part of your identity. Also, your assertion that your own identity has no bearing on why you want to be a physician is ridiculous.

Suppose an applicant grew up in a community of African immigrants (herself being one) and saw problems with her friends and family getting healthcare and/or communication with physicians. That provides her a motivation to become a part of the health system because she wants to serve her own cultural group (which she is a part of). It the same for people of alternative sexualities and gender identities, all who live in a unique social sphere structure, have unique illness attitudes and medical seeking behaviors, and sometimes desire professionals who share these ideals in what we pretty much all agree is a traditionally conservative profession. Your med school app tells adcoms not only why you'd be a good physician, but also why you personally WANT to be a physician. So, yes, putting down that you're gay in the context that you've had substantial leadership experience in this field and possibly, that it motivates you to become a physician, is highly relevant to a medical school application.

My question wasn't whether I should highlight "I'm A HOMO!!! Hear me roar!!" in my personal statement. I simply asked if I should mention my involvement in the LGBT club. I assume heterosexuals don't exactly have the same thing. Just like there are Asian clubs or African American societies, but no White Clubs.

Thank you everyone for your response. I guess I will add it in if it becomes a significant part of my application, which it looks like it will, but otherwise I will stay wary. I probably won't apply to schools in extremely conservative areas, so hopefully that will help.

I would leave it out. Find some other place to volunteer in addition, that would not be considered polarizing and put that on your app. During your interview, regardless of the school, you will probably be asked questions to see if you answer in what is considered a "radical" way. Remember, admission committees want to see if you are going to be biased in any way. If they think you could possibly be divisive to your class/school/whatever, then that may decrease your chances.

I would put away any pride/ego/"just on principle" issues during the application/interview process. If you are seen as only being able to effectively deal with/treat a small portion of the population, you decrease your chances. If you want to be openly, even flamboyantly gay, wait until you've been accepted and matriculated.

Another vote to include...:)

I took a fabulous class titled "Lesbian Health Care" and helped coordinate a health fair for LGBT (very well attended, thank you). Both of those activities will be included in my app right along side of my Girl Scout Leadership and homeless outreach activities. These activities help me learn from others, distinguish me from every other pre-medbot, and keep me motivated for my future patient populations. And I'm a straight middle-aged lady with a husband and three kids. Go figure!

Be proud of who you are. You are considering listing a legit, worthwhile activity that interests you and displays outreach. No shame in that. You can't turn on the TV without hearing about gay marriage, adoption, civil rights, culture -- why would it be inappropriate for a future physician to be involved, too? If any of my children turn out to be gay, I would want their physician to be respectful, open minded, and comfortable with gay health issues.

Some inspiring words about being true to yourself -- no matter what!
http://perezhilton.com/tv/index.php?ptvid=1b446ef153a25

Last edited:
Note: I'm not trying to be rude, but I find your post frustrating. If you're going to make what I perceive to be somewhat ignorant comments and really, what I construe as prejudice remarks, please actually read what a post says. We are discussing whether or not the OP should put down that she held a leadership position in a LGBQT organization, which is very much the same as holding a leadership in any other organization (which is why I mentioned sports, music talent, etc.). While you don't absolutely need to mention it specifically, I think it's pretty normal that if you put down you were a leader of a LGBQT organization you might mention a motivation for being a part of it....like for instance, you being transgendered, gay, lesbian, etc. It's just as if you put down that were president of Asian Student Association, that the committee would instantly think you joined the organization because you yourself were asian and it was a part of your identity. Also, your assertion that your own identity has no bearing on why you want to be a physician is ridiculous.

Suppose an applicant grew up in a community of African immigrants (herself being one) and saw problems with her friends and family getting healthcare and/or communication with physicians. That provides her a motivation to become a part of the health system because she wants to serve her own cultural group (which she is a part of). It the same for people of alternative sexualities and gender identities, all who live in a unique social sphere structure, have unique illness attitudes and medical seeking behaviors, and sometimes desire professionals who share these ideals in what we pretty much all agree is a traditionally conservative profession. Your med school app tells adcoms not only why you'd be a good physician, but also why you personally WANT to be a physician. So, yes, putting down that you're gay in the context that you've had substantial leadership experience in this field and possibly, that it motivates you to become a physician, is highly relevant to a medical school application.
Read my post above. No need to type all that out:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Another vote to include it in your activities if it's something that you put a lot of time and effort into and you can talk about your role in the organization and how it affected you. Yes, there may be some adcoms that will read it and look at it in a negative light. But...just as many, if not more, won't. I'm hardly flaming and in general I view my sexuality on the same level as hair or eye color...but as I had significant work with my undergrad GLBT club, I included it. It was brought up at every school I interviewed at, and honestly, it was never a negative...even with the old guys.

Medicine is one of those areas where you need to be confident about yourself and your decisions. I suppose I just view this as one of those things. This is who I am, that's just how it is. And yes, I would rather not go to med school or reapply than attend a school where I wasn't able to be myself for fear of discrimination. I will not compromise my identity for the ignorance of others. We're going to be doctors, we're going to deal with people from a variety of backgrounds and lifestyles without judging, without changing our standards of care...if a school can't do that in their interviews and admissions process, how can they legitimately instill that into their students?

it was never a negative...even with the old guys.
Well, back in the old days, that wasn't considered gay. It was a deep admiration of another mans body. :laugh:- Bonus points to whoever gets this very far reaching quote.

Does anyone know if LGBT people are underrepresented in medicine? In my experience it seems like there is a higher percentage of LGBT medical students than there are LGBT people in the general community. If they are overrepresented than its possible that it could work against an applicant. Likely not but possible. Although I agree that it is beneficial to LGBT physicians to serve that specific population.

Lucky for you, being a gay woman is MUCH easier these days than being a gay male. The media doesn't even blink when Lindsey Lohan dates a girl, but pictures of Clay Aiken on a gay dating site before he came out caused quite a stir.

These days, I'd think being an openly gay woman would only make you more memorable to the adcoms, and not necessarily in a bad way.

This is the kind of nonsense I loathe, because not only is it b*** it's offensive b***. Determining what's easier for homosexuals based on celebrity reports? I really hope you're a doctor in my town, so I can avoid referring people to you.

I'm a gay woman in medical school, dating my gay classmate, and no . . . it's neither easier nor more fun nor more sexy nor more exciting than the gay male relationships in our medical school. Ugh.

To the OP's question: riddle me this: do you want to get into medical school badly enough that you would deliberately omit a portion of your life from the permanent record? And if the answer to that question is yes, are you comfortable with the implications TO YOU ALONE? If that answer is yes, leave the LGBT off and don't worry about the political statement others may accuse you of making. People omit from their AMCAS all the time: for psychological reasons (history of depression, medical leave), for "troubled youth but not quite lawbreaker" reasons, for regret or even for considering a period of their life irrelevant. Whatever. If your involvement with the LGBT informs who you see yourself becoming as a doctor to the point where it needs to be on your application, then do it. If not, if it's just what you do in your life and time and has no personal relevance to your reasons for wanting medical school . . . why are you worrying about it? The ADCOM is not going to sit there and say, "Hmm...I see you avoiding telling me what you did between 3-5pm on Tuesdays, who you're sleeping with on Friday nights, and what parade you attended on June 15th."

Be interesting, be forthcoming, be unique . . . you don't have to lay all your cards down to win.

\I'm a gay woman in medical school, dating my gay classmate, and no . . . it's neither easier nor more fun nor more sexy nor more exciting than the gay male relationships in our medical school. Ugh.

The comment wasn't about how YOU feel regarding homosexual relationships. It was directed to the population in general. I would wager that more people find the idea of two men together offensive than two women. Granted, this could simply be because men are "allowed" by society to be more verbally expressive about their sexuality and desires than women, but regardless, you are much, MUCH more likely to see two women kiss or be in an intimate relationship on television than two men. I mean, come on, even Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, a show aimed at teenagers, had a lesbian couple.

personally, I would leave it out considering the medical professions is a fairly conservative field. Although they may not openly discriminate against you, it may be a factor, even though they may not say it. Discrimination is still alive and well, unfortunately. So, I would leave ur sexuality to yourself first. Once your accepted, then you can come out. Just to be safe.

The comment wasn't about how YOU feel regarding homosexual relationships. It was directed to the population in general. I would wager that more people find the idea of two men together offensive than two women. Granted, this could simply be because men are "allowed" by society to be more verbally expressive about their sexuality and desires than women, but regardless, you are much, MUCH more likely to see two women kiss or be in an intimate relationship on television than two men. I mean, come on, even Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, a show aimed at teenagers, had a lesbian couple.

What on earth does the celebrity acceptability factor of two women kissing have to do with whether homosexuality and/or LGBT association membership hurt/help medical school applications? It's a loose connection to derive at best, and quite honestly, based on actual experience--a conservative homophobe doesn't make distinctions based on gender. If you're not married/procreating/supporting traditional family values . . . then you're trouble. Man or woman. And that's the kind of discrimination the OP was worried about, not whether she'd slide because society thinks two women are either a) more kosher than two guys or b)hot.

This is the kind of nonsense I loathe, because not only is it b*** it's offensive b***. Determining what's easier for homosexuals based on celebrity reports?

Oh, right. I forgot. Celebrities have NOTHING to do with what the population finds... popular. The popularity they have has absolutely NOTHING to do with what people find interesting and socially acceptable.

Wait a minute... aren't celebrities popular people again?

I'm a gay woman in medical school, dating my gay classmate, and no . . . it's neither easier nor more fun nor more sexy nor more exciting than the gay male relationships in our medical school. Ugh.

What do you base this on?

I mean, there are thousands of variables here. Your personal experiences of having "just as hard of a time" aren't valid when compared to my personal experiences. After all, when I look up the statistics of hate crimes committed toward gay couples, males make up a significantly larger percentage of victims than do females.

Frankly, I've been an LGBT supporter for years, and have done more than my fair share of debating and arguing and fighting for it. But to say that there is an equal amount of discrimination between females and males is nonsense, especially since there is evidence of female "sexual fluidity" that is not present in males.

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/DIASEX.html

It's a loose connection to derive at best, and quite honestly, based on actual experience--a conservative homophobe doesn't make distinctions based on gender. If you're not married/procreating/supporting traditional family values . . . then you're trouble. Man or woman. And that's the kind of discrimination the OP was worried about, not whether she'd slide because society thinks two women are either a) more kosher than two guys or b)hot.

To be fair, you're right... to a point. A die-hard conservative isn't going to care.

But I think it's a fair assumption to say that not all adcom boards are made up of die-hard conservatives, and the same goes for liberals. So what are we left with? The moderates in the middle.

And if someone doesn't really care one way or the other about LGBT issues, then, societally, women-women couples are frankly considered less "icky" than male-male couples. I honestly can't answer why on a psychological level, but I can tell you that if celebrities (who make money and fame simply by having people approve of them) aren't a good indicator of what society is okay with (at least at a glance), then we're hard pressed to find something easier.

Although I will say that it is becoming EASIER for gale males. Anderson Cooper, for example, seems to be doing fine. But I think it's far from the social acceptability that lesbian relationships seem to have earned.

I hate to derail this thread, but I have an issue that's similar.

I've been very heavily involved for many years with reproductive rights advocacy through a well-known organization. I've put a lot of time in this, campaigned, lobbied, etc., and it's something I feel very strongly about.

I've also done clinical volunteering through the medical division of this organization for about 1.5 years now, and there's no way I'm leaving that out. I'm just not sure about the whole pro-choice advocacy stuff. It's not just about abortion, mind you. It's about access to birth control, access to medically accurate sex education, and yes, access to abortion when the woman chooses that route.

What do you think?

If you are really worried about sharing your sexuality but still want to share your involvement with a LGBT club then maybe you could introduce the club as LGBTQA with an emphasis on the Ally....that way you describe what you did to promote equality at your school and in your community and all that without directly sharing your sexuality.

That may seem like a cop-out (however you spell that) but if you are so worried about it, which you shouldnt be because as someone said, if they reject you for that you dont want to be there anyway (i dont think anyone should want to be at a school like that on top of that), then you could consider doing it that way.

I hate to derail this thread, but I have an issue that's similar.

I've been very heavily involved for many years with reproductive rights advocacy through a well-known organization. I've put a lot of time in this, campaigned, lobbied, etc., and it's something I feel very strongly about.

I've also done clinical volunteering through the medical division of this organization for about 1.5 years now, and there's no way I'm leaving that out. I'm just not sure about the whole pro-choice advocacy stuff. It's not just about abortion, mind you. It's about access to birth control, access to medically accurate sex education, and yes, access to abortion when the woman chooses that route.

What do you think?

That's fine. If you are seeing patients and educating young women about their health I'd say that is a good thing to have on your application.

As for the OP, unless you were seeing patients or something health related I wouldn't say it was worth the potential negative consequences whatever they may be. You could mention it if asked but putting it on your primary won't do much for you.

LGBT student organizations aren't just a front for circle jerks and scissor parties.

I have no opinion on this topic but I did want to mention that the above statement made me spit Snapple out of my nose.

I was pretty much all "out" on my application, during my interviews, and even during revisits. Yes, I had the occasional interviewer bring it up, but I don't think it hurt me. In fact, at some schools, I think it boosted my app because it gave us something to talk about during the interview. I've been fortunate with the cycle and got into 8 schools, all of which knew of my orientation. In truth, I didn't have much LGBT activity that pertained to med school; I included it in my "Diversity" response and, if a school didn't have one, I brought it up during the interview. Yes, I think I was comfortable with my position from the start and knew that I could lose a few schools and take the risk, but I would not have been happy at the schools that gave me an unsupportive vibe.

I definitely agree though, that it might be more difficult with more conservative institutions. Every school I applied to was in the Northeast, within a major metro area.

Still, I say go for it. If people consistently choose to hide their identities for fear of rejection from a school, the system is not going to change much, is it? Medicine (especially academic medicine) is still notoriously conservative and homogenous compared to other professions. That can only change if people with new ideals and varied backgrounds come in and challenge those old rules. Show them that yes, I am a strong student who survived pre-med and the MCAT and shadowing and volunteering, all while "being [insert LGBT identity here]." It's an EXTREMELY liberating experience each and everytime it happens. That much I can promise you from personal experience.

(sorry if this seems like rambling...it's been a long day).

personally, I would leave it out considering the medical professions is a fairly conservative field. Although they may not openly discriminate against you, it may be a factor, even though they may not say it. Discrimination is still alive and well, unfortunately. So, I would leave ur sexuality to yourself first. Once your accepted, then you can come out. Just to be safe.

Never underestimate the open-mindedness of the university atmosphere. This idea that the field is dominated by close-minded people is somewhat false, from what I can tell, at least in academia. I live in the Midwest, in a fairly conservative area, and our College of Medicine (from what I can tell) actively seeks people who understand hardships, including discrimination, and the type of people who can stand up to it. It's true that it might hurt your chances at some schools, depending on the couple of people who look at your app, but it is more likely to be looked favorably upon. Maybe you could be safe about it, but I say go for it.

i think that one's sexual orientation is a very private matter and u dont need to purposely let your school know about that.

Never underestimate the open-mindedness of the university atmosphere. This idea that the field is dominated by close-minded people is somewhat false, from what I can tell, at least in academia. I live in the Midwest, in a fairly conservative area, and our College of Medicine (from what I can tell) actively seeks people who understand hardships, including discrimination, and the type of people who can stand up to it. It's true that it might hurt your chances at some schools, depending on the couple of people who look at your app, but it is more likely to be looked favorably upon. Maybe you could be safe about it, but I say go for it.

Definitely...I think what I was trying to say was that academic medicine is traditionally conservative, but like anywhere, there are going to be more liberally-minded individuals. Heck, some of my most awkward/uncomfortable interviews where we talked about LGBT issues were at schools in NYC of all places.

Basically, like anything, you won't know until you try...so my recommendation is to take that leap.

Leave it in without question. The whole idea behind the AMCAS experiences is that the schools can get to know you through your actions. Talk is cheap. Obviously, that is a big part of who you are and you don't want to leave it out.

And to be shrewd, for most people it is really hard to distinguish themselves from the crowd in their AMCAS. If you were leaving this out, you'd essentially be trying to blend into the crowd.
:thumbup:

I am currently in a similar situation. I left it out of my AMCAS. Even if a committee member does not think they are homophobic... they could still view it negatively. A lot of people are offended by the idea of wearing your sexuality on your sleeve... or something.

However, I am going to incorporate it into diversity questions on secondary apps. With an essay, you have the necessary space to explain this aspect of you...you can control your reader. With the work & activities section...the reader can come to their own conclusions about you and the fact that you just came out to them. That's scary.

If I am going to take this leap, I want a couple of paragraphs to explain why.

Still, I will not focus on me being gay. I will focus on how my worldview has been shaped to appreciate diversity because of this one aspect of who I am.

Anyways, best of luck.

(I did not read to the end of the thread....sorry if this post is totally random/ out of place)

Two chicks, that's hot. I'd include it.

I wasn't involved in my school's LGBT organization until after I sent my primaries, so it wasn't included in my ECs. But I wrote about it for two secondaries, as the questions were pertinent. One school rejected me post-secondary, and the other invited me out, interviewed me with the head of their school's LGBT organization, and was overall extremely accomodating to and interested in that portion of my application. The latter interview was obviously an awesome experience, and that level of acceptance really offered a more relevent view of how my social life would integrate at that school versus if I'd hid that aspect in the application.

If I'd had the experience you do, I'd have definitely included it on my primary.

what school was so accommodating (if you do not mind me asking)?

As (yet another) openly gay applicant, I would say to disclose in the OPs case. If it is relevant, it is relevant. End of story. I'm shocked at the amount of discussion about this question. I'm convinced that most ADCOMs are educated and intelligent enough to set aside political convinctions to some degree and look at how the experience affected the applicant. What seems to matter is how its presented.

If the applicant says "Because I am gay life has been very hard. No one has given me a fair shake and I am constantly discriminated against etc. etc." without any positive message, both liberal and conservative ADCOM members will not view it positively.

If the applicant says "Being gay has taught me X, Y, and Z about how to reach out to the LGBT community and other minority groups in medicine. To further this goal I have.. (insert leadership/clinical/research experience here," I think nearly all ADCOM members, conservative and liberal, will note the maturity in the response and view the experience at least somewhat positively.

In the end, I think this is the same as any other personal experience an applicant could list. If it is presented positively, has clearly been impactful, and demonstrates positive qualities of the applicant, it should be listed.