Homosexuality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaporpoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've been participating in my college LGBT club since I am a gay woman, and I am becoming more involved with it. I feel like by the time I apply to med schools, my involvement will become something worthwhile to put on the application.

I wanted your thoughts/advice though: do you think it's a good idea to put it down? I'd rather omit such a thing if it will negatively effect my application. Of course, it would be deleting something significant from my app, but hopefully I can make up for it with other stuff.

Anyway, what would you guys do in my shoes? I was thinking of omitting it for my app to schools in conservative areas, and leaving it for liberal schools.

Members don't see this ad.

How are you going to manage that with AMCAS?

Personally, I would leave it out. Let's see what others say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely not leave it out. Again, that's just personally. But I have also made a tee shirt with a picture of my own face on it and the words "f*ck the haterz" so that's just the kind of person I am.

when you submit ur AMCAS primary, ur EC'S will show up to ALL schools, so you can't hide it to "conservative" areas and leave it for "liberal" schools.

i personally think you should add it, it's you and you shouldn't hide it. plus, being a gay woman isnt so bad, look at ellen degeneres, she's widely accepted, even in "conservative" areas.

Personally, I would leave it out. Let's see what others say.

I'd leave it out too. At some of the more liberal schools, you can write about it in their diversity/contribution essay that almost all schools want from you.

Sure, it's part of who you are but there are large parts of all of us that we might censor for med school. It can be too risky, in my mind, since you admit that you haven't done too much for the LGBT community. You never know who will read your app even at those schools since medicine is still a very old fashioned culture.

If the school rejects you because of your sexuality, then you don't want to be there anyway.

It is nonetheless too risky, in my mind, since you admit that you haven't done too much for the LGBT community.

Typical SDN... what, does she have to win a Nobel for something before she can list it as an EC?

Typical SDN... what, does she have to win a Nobel for something before she can list it as an EC?
Let's not get excited now, Binko. We can all create strawmen.

I interpreted this to mean that the OP has began to become more involved, but that she hasn't been doing much in the LGBT community until recently:

"I am becoming more involved with it. I feel like by the time I apply to med schools, my involvement will become something worthwhile."

Let's allow the OP to correct me if I'm wrong, shall we?

Let's not get excited now, Binko. We can all create strawmen.

I interpreted this to mean that the OP has began to become more involved, but that she hasn't been doing much in the LGBT community until recently:

"I am becoming more involved with it. I feel like by the time I apply to med schools, my involvement will become something worthwhile."

Let's allow the OP to correct me if I'm wrong, shall we?

How about we stop arguing about my involvement or what I've "given" to the LGBT community? It's not related to my ultimate question of whether disclosing one's sexual orientation will be harmful to the medical app process. But if you're curious, I just did a lot of volunteer work this year through the club, and next year I will be the VP.

How about we stop arguing about my involvement or what I've "given" to the LGBT community? It's not related to my ultimate question of whether disclosing one's sexual orientation will be harmful to the medical app process. But if you're curious, I just did a lot of volunteer work this year through the club, and next year I will be the VP.
Alright, I stand corrected.

I think your participation IS relevant to your question, however. If you didn't do very much, which is what I had assumed from your original post, then it might not be worth the risk to write about an experience that wouldn't contribute too much to your AMCAS anyway.

If, on the other hand, you did a lot for the club as it seems you did, then it would be worth the risk because you've apparently been altruistic and demonstrated leadership.

Either way, I think it'd be best to write it in the secondaries if you want to tell certain schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I stand corrected.

I think your participation IS relevant to your question, however. If you didn't do very much, which is what I had assumed from your original post, then it might not be worth the risk to write about an experience that wouldn't contribute too much to your AMCAS anyway.

If, on the other hand, you did a lot for the club as it seems you did, then it would be the risk because you've apparently been altruistic and demonstrated leadership.

Either way, I think it'd be best to write it in the secondaries if you want to tell certain schools.

Yeah, good point. It's so confusing to decide because everyone seems to have differing opinions. But I suppose I still have another two years to wrack my brain over this:p

Are a significant portion of people on the board of admissions for med schools old, conservative, and religious men?

Yeah, good point. It's so confusing to decide because everyone seems to have differing opinions. But I suppose I still have another two years to wrack my brain over this:p

Are a significant portion of people on the board of admissions for med schools old, conservative, and religious men?

Not in my (limited) experience.

I heard yeah, many are older and conservative men. Which is why I would leave it out. But like you said, you have two years to think about this.

the only problem is that if you leave it out... bring it up on the interview... and they are like whaaat? 3 some? and then you are like nah i'm not bisexual, reject and get rejected, not cool. you would have wasted your time and theirs. and $$$$

obviously thats not what I mean but you get it? don't regret bringing it up later in your interviews and somehow getting rejected post-extra-investment (although I don't think they would discriminate).

There are plenty of gay old conservative men.

Anyway, many of these schools have policies including same-sex partners of faculty in their employment benefits. Something to chew on.

the only problem is that if you leave it out... bring it up on the interview... and they are like whaaat? 3 some? and then you are like nah i'm not bisexual, reject and get rejected, not cool. you would have wasted your time and theirs. and $$$$

obviously thats not what I mean but you get it? don't regret bringing it up later in your interviews and somehow getting rejected post-extra-investment (although I don't think they would discriminate).

Best reason ever to get rejected from med school. :thumbup:

Hey guys,
So I've been participating in my college LGBT club since I am a gay woman, and I am becoming more involved with it. I feel like by the time I apply to med schools, my involvement will become something worthwhile to put on the application.

I wanted your thoughts/advice though: do you think it's a good idea to put it down? I'd rather omit such a thing if it will negatively effect my application. Of course, it would be deleting something significant from my app, but hopefully I can make up for it with other stuff.

Anyway, what would you guys do in my shoes? I was thinking of omitting it for my app to schools in conservative areas, and leaving it for liberal schools.

I would probably keep it in because it is seems like it's an important part of who you are. I realize that your first priority is to maximize your chances to get into medical school, but it's important in the long run to find a good fit with schools. In general, I don't think it would negatively affect your applications, except for places like Loma Linda, which probably wouldn't be a good fit anyways.

I would absolutely not leave it out. Again, that's just personally. But I have also made a tee shirt with a picture of my own face on it and the words "f*ck the haterz" so that's just the kind of person I am.

yo thats hot. do you commercialize those shirts?

Hey guys,

if you really feel that it's contributed significantly to your volunteering/leadership experience as well as your identity, then you should by all means include it. i mean, it's not like the military or anything, where they can blatantly discriminate against you based on sexual orientation alone, even if you're a great candidate (e.g. Daniel Choi)

Put it down if it's a source of significant leadership experience. Otherwise, what purpose does it serve?

if you really feel that it's contributed significantly to your volunteering/leadership experience as well as your identity, then you should by all means include it. i mean, it's not like the military or anything, where they can blatantly discriminate against you based on sexual orientation alone, even if you're a great candidate (e.g. Daniel Choi)
Yeah, but with as many as 10,000 apps, schools can subtly discriminate and you'll still be screwed.

It comes down to how the OP feels about it in two years, I think. I believe most applicants know how meaningful something is relative to a med school acceptance by the time they apply.

I would not leave that out if it is important to you. If you include it, and that does end up being the "reason" you get rejected, I don't think you are losing out on much. Would you want to attend a school with close minded people who do not accept something as trivial (in relation to your abilities as a person, physician, and student) as your sexual orientation? I don't think I could be happy attending a school where the faculty was unwilling to accept me as a whole person- with varying opinions, personalities, ethic make-ups, and also sexual orientations.

Leave it in without question. The whole idea behind the AMCAS experiences is that the schools can get to know you through your actions. Talk is cheap. Obviously, that is a big part of who you are and you don't want to leave it out.

And to be shrewd, for most people it is really hard to distinguish themselves from the crowd in their AMCAS. If you were leaving this out, you'd essentially be trying to blend into the crowd.

I remember reading a similar thread and LizzyM said alternative sexual lifestyles and a desire to serve them in medicine aren't something to hide. I guess it could work against you at religious-affiliated schools or very conservative schools but I think the leadership and volunteering would improve your application for the schools that aren't so conservative and those are probably the ones you want to focus on anyways.

I remember reading a similar thread and LizzyM said alternative sexual lifestyles and a desire to serve them in medicine aren't something to hide. I guess it could work against you at religious-affiliated schools or very conservative schools but I think the leadership and volunteering would improve your application for the schools that aren't so conservative and those are probably the ones you want to focus on anyways.
And one thing is that participation & leadership in a LGBT club does not necessarily imply that the applicant is gay. The OP can consider writing about her experiences in two years, but leave out her sexuality if this goes on the primary rather than a secondary.

I realized after submitting my essays that my emphasis on dancing might make me appear to be homosexual. While I personally have no problem with that, I was a tad worried that it would hurt my application. It doesn't seem to have, but I'd be lieing if I said that no interviewer subtly questioned me about my sexuality by phrasing questions such as "Do you have a girlfriend. What will you do when you move?"

but I'd be lieing if I said that no interviewer subtly questioned me about my sexuality by phrasing questions such as "Do you have a girlfriend. What will you do when you move?"
Sounds like they were coming onto you. I hope you used that opportunity to your advantage.

What, a tool?

And since all these schools are chasing after "diversity", being gay is a pretty significant minority which would bring a lot to the table as far as diversity goes. But we all know diversity only comes from having enough different colored people to put on the brochures to say "LOOK! WE'RE PROGRESSIVE!", so I doubt many schools would really give two ****s that you are truely diverse anyway...

I’d put it in, especially since it will count as leadership and community service. And if I were gay, I probably wouldn’t apply to very many conservative schools unless my in-state happened to be one.
Sounds like they were coming onto you. I hope you used that opportunity to your advantage.

:eek::laugh:

I do wonder if that ever happens. Hopefully not.

I don't see anything wrong with including it in your application, it is a part of who you are. Especially since your are VP I think you must list that on your AMCAS.

Being African-American is an integral part of who I am and believe it or not I don't even mention that in my personal statement, but I'm sure one can pick it up elsewhere in my application. I guess what I'm trying to say is that by the time you apply you should have a many different experiences that make you who you are not just being homosexual. So include it in you application, but don't make your application all about homosexuality.

Unfortunately, I think you should omit it. Even though they say they don't/can't discriminate based on age, sex, race etc. there are still many people in this world that are against it and since there are so many reasons you can reject someone, it probably isn't a far-fetched idea that they could find something else in your app that didn't fit with their program.

I am a gay applicant and have definitely included clear indications that I'm gay in my application, although I wouldn't say I've highlighted as some huge and ultra-defining aspect of myself. One of my "activities" is based around a LGBQT society I was on the committee on when I studied abroad, where I planned social activities, organized group discussions, and worked on LGBQT civil rights campaigns. I very clearly indicated I'm gay and enjoyed the social sphere of being a part of that community, which I think is a clearly important part of my life (and I don't see any point in hiding it). I also mention it extremely briefly (three words to be exact) in my personal statement.

I kind of made the decision that if I'm discriminated against because of it, I probably didn't want to attend that medical school anyway. Friends of mine in the past have even mentioned that it can contribute greatly to your application (one of my friends had 3/4 of his interviewers turn out to be gay physicians, so they loved it). I don't think there's an ultra-need to highlight your sexuality, but I do think it's a major part of who you are and in many cases, a process you've been through that few have that ultimately makes you more unique and, in some ways, personally aware of the struggles that people encounter in life. Don't supress it if you want to talk about it, I think you'll be better for it.

Putting down that you're gay on an application is like me putting down I'm algerian. What purpose/affect does that serve for you ability to become a physician?

I am a gay applicant and have definitely included clear indications that I'm gay in my application, although I wouldn't say I've highlighted as some huge and ultra-defining aspect of myself. One of my "activities" is based around a LGBQT society I was on the committee on when I studied abroad, where I planned social activities, organized group discussions, and worked on LGBQT civil rights campaigns. I very clearly indicated I'm gay and enjoyed the social sphere of being a part of that community, which I think is a clearly important part of my life (and I don't see any point in hiding it). I also mention it extremely briefly (three words to be exact) in my personal statement.

I kind of made the decision that if I'm discriminated against because of it, I probably didn't want to attend that medical school anyway. Friends of mine in the past have even mentioned that it can contribute greatly to your application (one of my friends had 3/4 of his interviewers turn out to be gay physicians, so they loved it). I don't think there's an ultra-need to highlight your sexuality, but I do think it's a major part of who you are and in many cases, a process you've been through that few have that ultimately makes you more unique and, in some ways, personally aware of the struggles that people encounter in life. Don't supress it if you want to talk about it, I think you'll be better for it.

Really?

Putting down that you're gay on an application is like me putting down I'm algerian. What purpose/affect does that serve for you ability to become a physician?

What purpose does putting down that you played a varsity sport, perform cello for your school symphony, or became a leader of cultural society (like an Asian Student Association or Black Student League?) serve then? None of those things have any real specific relation to medicine in many regards, other than they are significant time commitments and build leadership skills. But if you're involved in issues/activities related to a part of your identity that you have become active in some way in (whether it's your race, athletic ability, musical talent, etc.), it's perfectly logical for that to be a part of your application. I do think it would be silly to put down your sexuality in your activities section unless it relates to something you've been committed to and had an impact on you in someway.

The medical school application isn't entirely geared towards understanding all the things you've done ONLY that are related to medicine. It's supposed to tell a story of who you are as a person, which in many regards relates to how you as a physician will act in a clinic (where theres diversity of religions, races, income classes, and sexualities among the patients you see)---grades, MCAT scores, volunteer experience, research, etc. don't tell the whole story. As someone who has worked extensively in sexual health clinics with patients of wide-ranging sexualities, I can tell you that my own sexuality greatly helped me relate to the plights of the people that visit the clinic. It's just the same that an Algerian immigrant might relate more to a patient with a similar set of experiences. To say something like sexuality has absolutely no relation to practicing medicine forgets the many non-scientific, social dimensions to practicing that I think you're over-looking. It's exactly the same reason that URMs are urged into medicine, to produce a diverse set of physicians that can relate to America's diverse population.

Last edited:
-

Last edited:
Leave it out. Homosexuality is not looked upon favorably by the majority of medical doctors, and while admissions might be a little more liberal, I don't know of any school that intentionally tries to recruit homosexuals. I didn't point out that I am heterosexual in my application, nor do I know anyone who did.

If you have been significantly discriminated against, then maybe you could swing it, but if not, then it's just a personal choice and not relevant to medical school admissions.

This really isn't always the case and a trend in medicine that is changing. I won't argue against conservatism in medicine, and if you've ever spent time in a U.S. OR you'd definitely agree. However, I actually have a gay friend who applied in the 09 cycle who was commended in interviews at multiple schools for coming out. At UPenn, she was specifically told that LGBQT students was one area they were seeking to specifically add diversity to their medical school class. So, yes, medical schools do think about it and not always in a negative way.

Again, I think the point should be that just being gay doesn't necessarily warrant including in your application. However, if you've done volunteer work, held leadership positions, etc. in the LGBQT community and have done things that relate in some way to healthcare, or in ways that you build skills that might be applicable to practicing medicine, I see less reason to abandon it in your application out of fear of discrimination if you don't personally feel uncomfortable about outing yourself in your application.

I didn't point out that I am heterosexual in my application, nor do I know anyone who did.

My question wasn't whether I should highlight "I'm A HOMO!!! Hear me roar!!" in my personal statement. I simply asked if I should mention my involvement in the LGBT club. I assume heterosexuals don't exactly have the same thing. Just like there are Asian clubs or African American societies, but no White Clubs.

Thank you everyone for your response. I guess I will add it in if it becomes a significant part of my application, which it looks like it will, but otherwise I will stay wary. I probably won't apply to schools in extremely conservative areas, so hopefully that will help.

Yes, you are the strong individualistic man who thinks so little of what everyone thinks of him that he just has to make sure that he advertises it to everyone. lmao :p

Leave it out. Homosexuality is not looked upon favorably by the majority of medical doctors, and while admissions might be a little more liberal, I don't know of any school that intentionally tries to recruit homosexuals. I didn't point out that I am heterosexual in my application, nor do I know anyone who did.

That's an interesting assertion. Where do you get that from?

While I agree that medicine is, for the most part, a fairly socially conservative field, it's not like that automatically closes it to gay people (many of whom can be just as socially conservative in other aspects as anyone else).

In any case, no, while you didn't explicitly state you were a heterosexual male, the question pertains more to leadership qualities in an application, which everyone agrees can be important.

My question wasn't whether I should highlight "I'm A HOMO!!! Hear me roar!!" in my personal statement.

:laugh:

I think you should. In most cases I think it will be beneficial to your application. This is something you've dedicated yourself to, you work hard for it, and it shows leadership/commitment/blah blah blah. It's a substantial EC.

Well, clearly, Algerians make inferior doctors. I wouldn't list that on my AMCAS. You should probably write that you're Moroccan. :smuggrin:

Lucky for you, being a gay woman is MUCH easier these days than being a gay male. The media doesn't even blink when Lindsey Lohan dates a girl, but pictures of Clay Aiken on a gay dating site before he came out caused quite a stir.

These days, I'd think being an openly gay woman would only make you more memorable to the adcoms, and not necessarily in a bad way.

What purpose does putting down that you played a varsity sport, perform cello for your school symphony, or became a leader of cultural society (like an Asian Student Association or Black Student League?) serve then? None of those things have any real specific relation to medicine in many regards, other than they are significant time commitments and build leadership skills. But if you're involved in issues/activities related to a part of your identity that you have become active in some way in (whether it's your race, athletic ability, musical talent, etc.), it's perfectly logical for that to be a part of your application. I do think it would be silly to put down your sexuality in your activities section unless it relates to something you've been committed to and had an impact on you in someway.

The medical school application isn't entirely geared towards understanding all the things you've done ONLY that are related to medicine. It's supposed to tell a story of who you are as a person, which in many regards relates to how you as a physician will act in a clinic (where theres diversity of religions, races, income classes, and sexualities among the patients you see)---grades, MCAT scores, volunteer experience, research, etc. don't tell the whole story. As someone who has worked extensively in sexual health clinics with patients of wide-ranging sexualities, I can tell you that my own sexuality greatly helped me relate to the plights of the people that visit the clinic. It's just the same that an Algerian immigrant might relate more to a patient with a similar set of experiences. To say something like sexuality has absolutely no relation to practicing medicine forgets the many non-scientific, social dimensions to practicing that I think you're over-looking. It's exactly the same reason that URMs are urged into medicine, to produce a diverse set of physicians that can relate to America's diverse population.

Really? You're comparing homosexuality to that? Being gay, in comparison to the above, is pointless. If they ask you why you're part of that organization, you can answer. But being gay has no bearing on why you're a physician, how hard working you are or even how intelligent you are. All those EC's, etc are meant to show your ability to manage your time, be involved and dedicate your time to selfless things. Unless you're standing behind the building offering sexual favors to same sex people everyday, being gay is not worth mentioning. In fact, it serves as a cry for attention, imo.:thumbdown:

*Note, I have nothing wrong against people that are gay.

Lucky for you, being a gay woman is MUCH easier these days than being a gay male. The media doesn't even blink when Lindsey Lohan dates a girl, but pictures of Clay Aiken on a gay dating site before he came out caused quite a stir.

These days, I'd think being an openly gay woman would only make you more memorable to the adcoms, and not necessarily in a bad way.
Because let's face it, there is a higher attraction from the male viewer towards lesbians than female to gay men.