Homosexuals and application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acecaliber

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a homosexual pre-med student, and i have been involved with a campus student group organization that strives to promote awareness and tolerance for homosexuals among the student body. do you think my chances of acceptance to med school would decrease if i put this as part of my extracurricular activities?
Thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that it depends on the school. See if you can find out more info on the school (ie: student clubs, community projects, etc) to get a better feel for things.

Keep in mind: adcoms tend to be conservative.

To be safe, I would definitely not put it down. I can't imagine it helping you get in, but I can imagine you being discriminated against. Once you get in, express yourself however you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by acecaliber
Hi,
I'm a homosexual pre-med student, and i have been involved with a campus student group organization that strives to promote awareness and tolerance for homosexuals among the student body. do you think my chances of acceptance to med school would decrease if i put this as part of my extracurricular activities?
Thanx :)

Echoing other posters warnings of the conservative nature of the adcoms.

But does involvement in a gay rights/gay awareness group automatically mark one as a homosexual?

It's funny that involvement perhaps in an AIDS/HIV awareness group would get you kudos, and not imply that you were a IV drug abuser or practicing unsafe sex. Or could it be sad.

Sad, I think.

Yeah, keep yer mouth shut during the application process, and then Act Up! after you're admitted.

- Tae

There's a good thread from last year on the subject. I found it and tried to post the link, but somehow it didn't work. I'll keep trying. Welcome to SDN and good luck with your application. :)

bull****. i know people in administration at my school that are gay. it won't hurt you, but if you feel that it might then it's really up to you to put it in or leave it out. not all adcoms are conservative it depends on the school. you can't really predict these things. but good luck to you in whatever you choose.

The old thread is called "New to SDN and somewhat alternative." Try searching for it. I cannot make the link for it work, for some reason.

Best of luck with your application. :)

So, say a heterosexual person volunteered for the same organization. Would the situation be any different? Since this organization promotes tolerance of a minority group, what makes it different from a group promoting tolerance of women, african-americans or purple aliens? I wish I had a clue.

I do, however, have a similar story to tell. One of my girlfriends put her involvement with the black student union on her Howard app, but did not mention it on her South Carolina app. I asked the question why? She said she feared the South Cackalacky Old Boys Club Admission Commitees/interviewers. I then proceeded to tell her about every person on that committee. The white men were in the minority (and how stereotypical to think they would even care about the BSU). There were women, asians, african-americans, etc. She was shocked and decided to list her BSU involvement on her SC application as an achievement she was proud of. She rejected her Howard acceptance and is now a first year in SC.

I know what you are going through. I got a verbal ass-beating by the more notorious SDN members when I asked about leaving my race on my AMCAS app blank. Its a touch subject. Someday, hopefully, it won't even matter. Good Luck
Isid

acecaliber,
hey. in my own opinion (and i have thought about the same thing being a bi/f) i would leave it off your app. i know that this is a frustrating thing and it puts equal rights on the backburner but you have to remember who your audience is. adcoms are mainly conservative older men. unless you have a story- in which your homosexuality is a major part of- that greatly affects your life experiences and one you'd want to write as an admission essay, i would leave your involvement off your app. either that or be involved in many organizations (since i think you're still early in your undergrad career) and this way they will see that you were concerned about many issues, and not just homosexuality. either way, you can choose to do as you wish. if you feel that you are totally betraying yourself and all you've worked for then include it. no one can tell you otherwise. but if you feel you can bite your tongue for now...do so and after acceptance, wave your flag. ;) :)

best of luck.

Hi,

my opinion as an MS-III who has interviewed candidates is:

Leave it in!

Most of the above advice has been from folks currently in (or anticipating) the application process, and they are understandably gun-shy and very conservative.... more so than AdComs, believe me. It was an important activity for you - you should not have to edit your life in order to go to med school.

The other VERY important thing is, if listing that activity was actually enough to get you rejected from a school (which I highly doubt would happen), is it a place you'd want to go to anyway?

AdComs may be conservative, but they are not out of touch with reality. Student activity groups promoting gay rights are pretty mainstream for colleges, and I can't imagine an AdCom member being surprised or concerned about your affiliation. He11, I know a gay person who got accepted at Georgetown and he had been quite clear, during the application period, about his orientation and his politics regarding homosexual rights issues.

Good luck!

I absoloutely agree with mamadoc. The idea that many people carry around in there heads -- that an adcom is populated by conservative older men hell-bent on maintaining the tradition of the school -- does not reflect reality. Duke, for example, has the reputation of being a fairly conservative place. Yet their new assistant director of admissions is African American and gay, and speaks of trying to get the school as far away from its conservative reputation as possible. There's also a very active gay-straight alliance at the school. This is a place that would welcome students like you who are committed to a cause. I'm planning to work as an interviewer next year, and you'd get MAJOR points from me for being honest about who you are. I'd see it as a clear demonstration of your integrity.

It's not just Duke -- I just mentioned it because I go there. I'm sure plenty of other schools are just as aware that the "diversity" they pledge to uphold means more than just a variety of skin tones.

:) :) :D :) :)

Originally posted by mamadoc

The other VERY important thing is, if listing that activity was actually enough to get you rejected from a school (which I highly doubt would happen), is it a place you'd want to go to anyway?

This is a very good point. I still hold that you should check out the schools a bit. Why pay $$ to apply to a school that's *too conservative* to accept you?

I bumped up that old thread "New to SDN and somewhat alternative."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'd like to thank everybody for their wonderful replies to my question :) and SMW, thanks for the bump!
This is a wonderful site and I'm sooooo glad that I found it! Everyone on here is so nice :clap: and not only that, but these smileys are intese lol Anyways, best of luck to all of you in the pursuit of your dreams!

Contrary to what some people think, there ARE openly homosexual students (and faculty) at medical schools. You absolutely should put your involvement in that organization on your app. It shows leadership skills, involvement in your community, etc. Plus, it may be a good conversation piece at interviews. You should never let a fear of adcoms persuade you to cover up a part of who you are.

People often make the arguement that members of a particular race or origin like to go to doctors of their own race or origin for cultural, lingual, or just plain stereotypical reasons. Is there an arguement floating around that says the same sort of attitude exists for homosexuals wanting homosexual doctors? If so, are there enough homosexual doctors to serve the population? If affirmative action were to apply to members of a sexual preference minority, would homesexuals be given same consessions as other URMs? I love asking the hard questions. ;)

Originally posted by isidella
People often make the arguement that members of a particular race or origin like to go to doctors of their own race or origin for cultural, lingual, or just plain stereotypical reasons. Is there an arguement floating around that says the same sort of attitude exists for homosexuals wanting homosexual doctors? If so, are there enough homosexual doctors to serve the population? If affirmative action were to apply to members of a sexual preference minority, would homesexuals be given same consessions as other URMs? I love asking the hard questions. ;)

Homosexuals do often face discrimination from their doctors, so it makes sense that they may feel more comfortable seeing a gay doc. Med school applicants aren't obligated to mention their sexual orientation, however. Furthermore, med schools aren't allowed to ask their applicants such personal questions. Because of this, it would be hard to make sure that there's a representative number of gay docs to serve the gay population.

Well.... from a gay man here who is a first-year med student this year.... You should list this activity on your application if it's substantitive and you feel it's important... I listed my involvement in several gay political organizations on my application (and in the end was accepted to several schools.)

At several schools during the interview I was asked if I was married, if I had children, etc. My advice is to just answer the questions directly and succinctly - be who you are - that's what's important..... During my interviews, I answered these questions by talking about being gay, in a committed relationship, the importance of family, etc. Through this, I learned a lot, and was able to make an informed decision on where I thought I'd be most comfortable and get the best education from the schools where I was accepted.

Good luck and don't sweat this one....

Do NOT listen to the fools who know nothing about admissions acecaliber. Leave it out. Adcoms are given the overwhelming task of weeding out applicants and homosexuality comes as a perfect excuse. Where is all this garbage about gay patients being comfortable only to gay doctors? A physician is trained to TOLERATE any type of patient, even the insane. But are you SURE that patients tolerate any type of doctor? You know homophobia is real and it is a great disadvantage for any hospital to have gay doctors. You know that you will have to HIDE your homosexuality to your patients and the "straight" population is truly an overwhelming majority. And believe me, you can have all the arguments about prejudice and intolerance but you cannot eliminate that uncomfortable position between gay and nongay. Conservative or not, adcoms are aware of this, and will, in any way possible look at it as something negative. Sure, they may take in one or two for purposes of "representation" but those are bad odds there. IF you know deep in your heart that you may need to hide your sexual orientation from your patients (for the good of the patient) then it's common sense to start hiding those factors from the admissions committee. TRUST me on this one.

based on the posts here so far:
evidence that monster2 has applied to ANY US allopathic schools:

evidence that monster2 has received any interviews: 0

evidence that monster 2 knows anything about a specific school: 0

therefore, evidence that monster2 knows anything about the views of schools on homosexuality=0

end of story.

Originally posted by Katie
based on the posts here so far:
evidence that monster2 has applied to ANY US allopathic schools:

evidence that monster2 has received any interviews: 0

evidence that monster 2 knows anything about a specific school: 0

therefore, evidence that monster2 knows anything about the views of schools on homosexuality=0

end of story.

and I thought this was going to be one of those mastercard adverts:

monster2's college education: $100,000
monster2's PC: $1000
monster2's cable connection: $100/month
Cost of the "ignore" feature? PRICELESS

For everything else, there's mastercard....

Originally posted by the boy wonder
and I thought this was going to be one of those mastercard adverts:

monster2's college education: $100,000
monster2's PC: $1000
monster2's cable connection: $100/month
Cost of the "ignore" feature? PRICELESS

For everything else, there's mastercard....

LOL.. that works well, except I think monster2 went someplace like Southwestern Louisiana Technical College; can't imagine that that would cost 100K...

Unfortunately- It is not a wise idea to imply your sexual orientation in application to a medical school. I would recommend discussing such a matter with a number of pre-med advisors, or admissions counselors. It is well known that physicians are extremely conservative...speaking of the lot- not every last one, and likewise Medical Schools carry the same trend. Therefore, it is in your best interest to not imply your homosexuality to the admissions committee or the amcas. The right wing of medicine is very intolerant. Admissions committees are looking for the first quirk to throw you out of contention. This is not about who looks nice- it is about eliminate...and see who is left. Maintain a streamlined image while expressing your exceptional individualism and desired traits of concern to the school. I have many friends in this situation, and experiences with the same. It is sad but true. Remember...do not rock the boat. My suggestion- to find a way to express your involvement without outright saying- gay. IE: you are president of a gay rights organization at school...How about you are president of a human rights organization at school. Tweek...but be honest.

and monster2 isn't an idiot...this person is onto a good point...things to consider. How are your academics and MCAT- borderline? be less gay...if they are outstanding...med school probably won't care. They are weighing a lot about you in consideration...be aware of this.

Originally posted by angkor_wat
How are your academics and MCAT- borderline? be less gay...if they are outstanding...med school probably won't care.

I just can't believe it. I know you said it and you have every right to do so, but I am still rubbing my eyes.

By the way, let me be the first to welcome you to SDN.

Isid

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"be less gay" ?????

:eek:
still in shock, maybe its just too early

"be less gay." Yeah, hide who you are. That's the ticket to societal progress!

I wouldn't bring it up, just because it opens up a whole extra can o'worms that I wouldn't want to deal with. But if it's absolutely key to understanding you, go for it.

Long post of info and links coming next:

Try joining the AMSA LGBT listserv:

[email protected]

The Gay + Lesbian Medical Association:
http://www.glma.org/home.html

http://www.lgbtcampus.org/directory.htm

http://www.amsa.org/adv/lgbtpm/resources.cfm

Schools with groups and a somewhat (or more) friendly image:
Tufts
Boston U
Harvard
Yale
Brown
NYU
Mt Sinai
Einstein
Penn
Temple
MCP Hahnemann
Pittsburgh
MUSC
Case Western
U of Miami
Ohio State
U of Washington
Oregon
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCD
Robert Wood Johnson
U of Minnesota

Additional schools that appear to be somewhat LGBT-friendly, but don't seem to
have groups currently:
Maine
SUNY Brooklyn
Cornell
Maryland
Hopkins
Duke
George Washington U
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane
Rush
University of Illinois

-=-=-=-=

New York Gay & Lesbian Physicians present:
TO BE OR NOT TO BE
Dealing with the issue of sexual identity during
the residency application and interview process

An informal discussion led by residents and attending physicians
on the pros and cons of being "out" when applying for residency.

NB. Many of the attendings and residents in attendance are interviewers
themselves for residency programs in the NYC area and elsewhere, so listen
up to what they have to say!

WEDNESDAY, September 19, 2001

1) Basic info
a) If you write something down on your application, it's fair game to be
asked about during the interview
i) Write down what you're comfortable discussing
b) Do some research on the programs to which you're applying
i) Use the GLMA directory to locate potential contacts at different programs
ii) Network, network, network and use it to your advantage
iii) Use your contacts to find out what the interview process is like at
particular programs
iv) Programs that may not look like G/L/B/T-friendly environments on paper
may actually prove to be otherwise and vice-versa
c) There are G/L/B/T physicians in all specialties
i) Some specialties have traditionally been less tolerant of alternative
lifestyles while others are more accepting.
(1) Yes, there are queer surgeons somewhere out there; network and/or use
other resources to find them if you are interested in this field so that
you can get a better idea of what to expect
d) Figure out what your priorities are
i) Determine if getting into the best possible program, regardless of how
homophobic that environment may be, is your top concern
ii) Determine what things you will and will not compromise on (e.g.,
domestic partner benefits, same-sex housing, etc)

2) Should I be out?
a) It's a personal decision - there are no "right" answers so you need to
figure out for yourself if you want to be out or not
i) Realistically, being out may hurt your chances at some programs because
not everyone is a progressive thinker
b) Writing about your involvement in G/L/B/T- (e.g., queer youth outreach)
or HIV-related issues (e.g., AIDS outreach) does not necessarily out you
i) If you devoted a lot of time and energy or exhibited leadership and
other desirable qualities in this area, then don't sell yourself short by
omitting it from your application
ii) Even though your interviewers shouldn't jump to conclusions based on
your involvement in this area, be prepared to deal with it during your
interview since it'll be fair game once you write it down
c) Don't be out for the sake of being out, especially if it doesn't relate
to anything else in your resume
i) Don't necessarily volunteer info that won't help your cause

3) Interviewing
a) You are trying to get a job so act like it and sell yourself well. You
want them to rank you highly on their list!
i) Be professional and try to remain composed no matter what happens
ii) Don't hit on or try to date your interviewer even if he/she may be
hitting back on you
iii) Don't be too chummy with your interviewer during your interview since
the two of you may have different ideas of what's acceptable and not
iv) Make sure to review whatever you wrote down in your application and be
prepared to discuss ANYTHING that you wrote down on it
b) Sound genuine
i) Your interviewer picks up on hesitancy and such things - that's not a
good thing
ii) Being radically different from what you seem like on paper is probably
not a good thing - you wouldn't want your interviewer to think that you
have some type of psychopathology!
iii) If you weren't out on your written application, then don't be during
the interview
c) Think about all the negative or not-so-stellar things on your
application and be prepared to answer questions about them during interviews
i) If the interviewer doesn't bring it up and your conversation is going
well, don't feel obligated to mention the not so positive stuff - this may
lead your interviewer to believe that you're insecure
ii) Rehearse your answers to these not so stellar things so that if and
when they come up, you can calmly explain what happened
d) Interviewers may not necessarily know the "rules" (e.g., it is illegal
to ask you about your sexual orientation or how you are planning to rank
their program) or he/she may just be an "evil" person. If you are asked
such inappropriate questions, you have several courses of action:
i) Downplay the question by not answering it, and continue on with your
conversation. Hopefully your interviewer will realize that he/she has
committed a faux pas and move on or
ii) Calmly tell your interviewer that you do not want to answer such an
inappropriate question, and try to go on with the interview or
(1) You might consider writing the program director separately to say that
such inappropriate behavior transpired
(2) You should also probably consider crossing the program off your list
iii) Answer the question forthrightly if you feel comfortable doing so
(1) Realize that if you answer the question, you will be disclosing info
which may or may not affect your application adversely
e) If your gaydar suspects that your interviewer may be gay, don't out him
or her unless he or she does so first
i) Your interviewer's orientation is immaterial to YOUR application
ii) You might have totally bad gaydar so be careful
iii) Your interviewer may not be out or comfortable being out to casual
acquaintances
f) Your interviewer may not be the appropriate person to ask about G/L/B/T
concerns, benefits, what life is like as an intern/resident
i) The program director is the one who should know about these things like
benefits, etc
ii) To find out about life on the wards, ASK THE HOUSESTAFF
(a) If you can't seem to find housestaff during your interview, beware and
figure out why?
g) G/L/B/T and non-G/L/B/T folks, including your interviewers, may not have
gaydar and may not pick up on the "subtle" clues you've put down in your
application or during the interview
i) Play it by ear. If the interviewer doesn't ask you about it, you may not
necessarily want to bring it up.
ii) Interviewers who are not out may not want to pick up your clues. Don't
press the issue if you sense that your interviewer may not be comfortable
talking about such things.

4) Figuring out what program is right for you
a) During your interview, you're selling yourself to the program as much as
the program is selling itself to you
i) You want THEM to rank you highly even though YOU may not rank them highly
b) Take advantage of 2nd look opportunities
i) This could signal to the program that you are really, really, really
interested
ii) This is a good opportunity to go on rounds, follow the housestaff,
while not being the focus of attention
iii) It's also a great opportunity to get a feel for how you'll fit in here
c) The program will try to put together a class that is cohesive and works
well with each other
i) Try to get a feel for your potential classmates since they will be the
ones you'll interact with a lot
ii) Showing signs of not wanting to be there or lack of interest or of not
being a team player will probably hurt your chances

I am in total agreement with mamadoc. You have to be true to yourself and convey the activities on your application that mean something to you. If a school cannot accept you for who you are, you don't want to go there anyway. For me, it was never a question to hide my background and my faith. Do what makes you feel right but don't be afraid to be you. Good luck with everything!!!:clap:

Originally posted by isidella
"be less gay" ?????

:eek:
still in shock, maybe its just too early

yeah... pretty shocking. i don't know why, but it makes me laugh! if you're gay, you're gay. don't hide it, and don't be worried about putting your involvement with the gay community down on your application. as others have pointed out, you wouldn't want to go to a school that's not friendly toward gay people. i really doubt it will hurt your chances at the majority of schools -- at least i hope not! that being said, don't flaunt it either since sexual preference has nothing to do with your ability to do well in med school.

I say go ahead and mention it. Even if someone on the adcom is "bothered" by it... they aren't going to say anything to the other members. Remember that it's a COMMITTEE that makes these decisions. If you're a great applicant and yet there is a person or persons that have objection to your being gay... they're going to have to come up with some other reason to justify to the committee why they aren't voting for you.

I just don't think it will be a problem... unless there's something really lacking in your application (like a low MCAT or gpa). Because then those homophobic adcom members (if there are any) can use that as an excuse for not accepting you... when really it's because you are gay.

Basically, if I were you, I'd mention it... it's kinda unlsettling to hide something there's absolutely no good reason to have to hide... but society makes it hard sometimes.

I am also a member of group that promotes awareness and tolernace of and for the GLBTA community. On the interviews that I've been on the interviewers (in Texas) seemed to like that I was learning about people with different backgrounds and views. I would definitely put it. I'm not homosexual but that didn't come up.
Good luck

I look at it this way. If being gay isn't going to give you an advantage to get in, why mention it? It's like talking about your favorite flavor of ice cream.

I certainly don't think someone will be rejected because they are gay, but they certainly aren't going to be accepted because of it. The only thing you'll do is put yourself at risk for being interviewed by someone who is homophobic. That's the person that will be making the reccomendation to the rest of the committee.

I am a lesbian pre-med student and will be applying next year. I have been talking to as many people as possible about whether or not to include gay and lesbian activities on my application. From the "polls" I have taken, which included a lesbian MDs on faculty at several schools (all on the West Coast), one of whom had sat on the adcommedical students on admissions committees, and current residents and medical students, the general opinion was to leave it off your AMCAS or to disguise it so that anyone gay would know what it is, but someone homophobic and ignorant probably would not. As one of the adcom faculty member put it, having the wrong person initally review your application could have you rejected if they were homophobic. If you put it on your AMCAS it will stick out which could be good or bad. Only one med studnet had been open on the AMCAS and she felt it had been a good thing ion the end.

All of the med students I spoke to had been open on their secondaries, especially on questions regarding diversity, hardship, etc. All felt that it had only strengthened their applications and maybe even gotten them in at certain schools. The best advice I got was to network and try to feel out the school ahead of time. One of the MDs gave me a statistic that gays and lesbians have the highest med school drop-out rate due to feeling isolated.

And for the record since it wasn't on the list earlier in the post, the Univ of Arizona does have a GLBT med student group. I am not an AZ resident so I won't be applying there... Does anyone out there happen to know anything about being GLBT at the Univ. of Connecticut?

Hope that helps and good luck!

It's not about advantage or disadvantage. If I could hide that fact that I was black, would I?? I don't think so!! You were a leader in an organization like any other organization. Someone posted that it showed leadership. They're right!! Part of the app process is showing what EC's you have. That's just one more. It shows that despite the obstacles you face and have faced you still pushed forward. Besides I am quite sure that that is not your only EC and being gay is not all that you are about, I'm quite sure you have other attributes that can be shouted to the adcoms so use those to but do not hide who you are under any circumstances!!!

As for the be less gay comment... YOU'RE JOKING, RIGHT???

Hey, You've got to be who you are, no matter what! Look at everything you've done in your live with positive eyes, you've got to see yourself and who you are as a desireable future medical student. The diversity you will bring to whatever school you attend will only enhance their program. So, don't listen to the people who are full of fear. Stand up for the awareness program you've been working with by putting them on your application!:clap:

i'd watch out about how open u are with your interviewers about it - some med school s r still pretty conservative in some ways...

I would leave it in.

Many med schools truly want a diverse student body.

A) It shows you are open and honest about your orientation.

B) It shows you were involved in something passionate while you were an undergrad

both are good things.

What med schools probably dont want are Ultra Activistist types who are going to rockthe boat evry chance they get.

So in your interview you will discuss the involvement inthe group without sounding like it is a major part of your life

Originally posted by azpremed

And for the record since it wasn't on the list earlier in the post, the Univ of Arizona does have a GLBT med student group. I am not an AZ resident so I won't be applying there... Does anyone out there happen to know anything about being GLBT at the Univ. of Connecticut?

azpremed--I haven't heard anything about the climate at UConn either way, but from the website, it appears that there is a student GLBT organization on campus. That's a good sign, I think.
Link to UConn GLBT group

Originally posted by wallie
azpremed--I haven't heard anything about the climate at UConn either way, but from the website, it appears that there is a student GLBT organization on campus. That's a good sign, I think.
Link to UConn GLBT group

And you could always travel to Yale (less than an hour?)... reminds me of a quote from a movie...

"I once f***ed a Whiffenpoof at Yale..." ;)

(to add more context, I happened to be in New Haven at the time, and the whole theater was cracking up, Yale students and SCSU students alike...)

-RA

If i were an admissions person, I would put you at disadvantage for that. It's very correct, that most patients would not want to have their balls examined by a gay doctor.
You may say that gays are underrepresented. Then Im sure some of them are in almost every school anyway. But i'd feel more comfortable if they did dress, or talk, or walk gay. Or worse yet, belong to some organization that wants to impose its influence onto all of us.

Wow, thanks for that great, bigoted, ignorant perspective.

You've really got that "compassion and not passing judgment" thing down pat!

Did you even want to try to define what "dressing, talking, or walking" gay is ljube_02? Or is the sweeping generalization of how all gay people "dress or talk or walk" enough for you?

God forbid you ever get a gay patient--or one that you assume is gay, because of the way they talk. How do you know your doctor, or school nurse, or anyone--wasn't gay, and was examining your balls (you put it so eloquently)?

Take off the blinders, man. Meet people different from you. You'd be surprised at how it turns out.

I have never been a doctor... But as a patient, if i dont see that the doctor is gay and assume he is not, I feel more comfortable.

How about you?

And as a med student, I would be more comfortable if I werent called a "bigot" by these "rights groups", like as if they're the police.

Originally posted by ljube_02
And as a med student, I would be more comfortable if I werent called a "bigot" by these "rights groups", like as if they're the police.

Woah woah woah, I didn't call you a bigot, just your response. Big difference.

And trust me here, I'm a member of no "rights group," and I'm not really sure who you're referring to... a gay rights group? Women's rights group? Minorities'?

I don't really know that the policy call people bigots, but if you say so...

As for the other point, you do realize that doctors that dress a certain way, talk a certain way, or walk a certain way aren't necessarily gay, right? And that you're really making REALLY broad generalizations about people if you do that? (Surprise: not all Asians like math, not all African Americans like fried chicken, and not all gays dress a certain way.)

Back on topic: If you get an okay feeling about the gay thing, talk about it. If not, it might just complicate things. If it's listed on your AMCAS or secondary or anything, it's open game for them to bring up. Sometimes it's worth the risk, others it's not. Depends on the school, interviewer, and you.

Originally posted by gramcracker
As for the other point, you do realize that doctors that dress a certain way, talk a certain way, or walk a certain way aren't necessarily gay, right? And that you're really making REALLY broad generalizations about people if you do that? (Surprise: not all Asians like math, not all African Americans like fried chicken, and not all gays dress a certain way.)

Hmm...I'm reminded of several things... One a quote from a friend of mine who worked in a lab and was talking about her PI:

"Well, he talked sort of lispy and he dressed really well and he made hand gestures like this, but he's not gay! He's just British!"

Then I'm reminded I think of an SNL skit called, "Gay or Eurotrash?"

Just remember that people aren't always as they seem at first glance. But we do have to keep in mind certain stereotypes because they do affect people who are part of the stereotype:

There was a psych experiment where they had Asian females. When they primed the "female" aspect, the girls did worse on math tests. When they primed the "Asian" aspect, the girls did better. This was the whole "girls are bad at math" vs. "Asians are good at math" aspect.

-RA

Referring to the original question asked.. LEAVE IT IN!! I've talked to numerous gay pre-med students and gay med students (because I myself am gay) and they all advised me to try and bring it up in interviews if it feels comfortable. And I've read up on gay med students and a lot of them said that it helped them because med schools are looking for diversity, and being gay is considered being diverse in many peoples opinions.

i think it's ok to include in; there are a number of gay/lesbian med students

Originally posted by CyclinE
i think it's ok to include in; there are a number of gay/lesbian med students

not to mention deans and faculty.

well I just bumped across this thread....

how is everyone doing in the 2008 cycle?