Homosexuals and application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dude...

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with what most people are saying. Definitely include your activities! Anything else would be hiding who you are and what you stand for. As for sexual orientation itself, I don't think it should be an issue. You can support gay rights no matter what your sexual orientation is, so putting these activities on your apps doesn't necessarily mean you're coming out to all the adcoms. It's also inappropriate for an interviewer to ask about sexual orientation, IMHO.

Whatever you do, just don't apply to Loma Linda...there's bigotry if I've ever seen it...:rolleyes:
(do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about!)

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
I agree with what most people are saying. Definitely include your activities! Anything else would be hiding who you are and what you stand for. As for sexual orientation itself, I don't think it should be an issue. You can support gay rights no matter what your sexual orientation is, so putting these activities on your apps doesn't necessarily mean you're coming out to all the adcoms. It's also inappropriate for an interviewer to ask about sexual orientation, IMHO.

Whatever you do, just don't apply to Loma Linda...there's bigotry if I've ever seen it...:rolleyes:
(do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about!)

well its a jesuit school...what do you expect? I think you have to respect other people's beliefs as well..it goes both ways...I mean its a christian school designed for christian doctors to treat christian parents...

now, there are 100 other schools you can apply to..and that is what I'm trying to get at..

if you say ur gay on the application..chances are you are going to get accepted by a school that is more open minded and more diverse and more tolerant, and chances are you will be happier at that school....than a place where you have to hide your real identity 24/7 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DW
they are actually seventh day adventists at loma linda

wait loma linda is a mormon school? really no way? who would have known......

A homosexual isn't a minority. Wheover said, "underreprestned" is full of it. I also don't really see the relevance your sexual orientation has on your abilities to be a physician or student, just as much as someone's race matters. (but that's another story).

Why would you include this, other than a cheap way to maybe make you, "stand out", or get some stupid AA advantage?

Originally posted by JKDMed
A homosexual isn't a minority. Wheover said, "underreprestned" is full of it. I also don't really see the relevance your sexual orientation has on your abilities to be a physician or student, just as much as someone's race matters. (but that's another story).

Why would you include this, other than a cheap way to maybe make you, "stand out", or get some stupid AA advantage?

someone's race doesn't matter?

wait, you are from South Karoliyna....say it again folks...karolyna....you be sleeping with ur cousin agian JK2md..

com awwn now be honest to us kinsfolk :D

Originally posted by lola
uh oh...

and you gurl go to sleep...you have exam on monday..you supposedly turned off ur computer 2 hours ago...

go now, otherwise I will get ur irish boyfriend to start spanking that tooshy of urs :D

as soon as I figure out who you are...of course ;)

gays don't get AA advantage..

I have a question for you, do your friends know you are straight?

chances are yes...why ON earth did you tell them you were straight?

HUH? huh? come on white boy spill it...did you have to tell everyone your straight?

The real question here is whether we should make special accommodations for gays and other disadvantaged people such as the deaf, and those unable to walk or speak English. Some of these impediments could preclude the pursuit of the more physically demanding specialities such as surgery, but there is no doubt in my mind that these special people could play some role in the field of medicine.

The real question here is whether we should make special accommodations for gays and other disadvantaged people such as the deaf, and those unable to walk or speak English. Some of these impediments could preclude the pursuit of the more physically demanding specialities such as surgery, but there is no doubt in my mind that these special people could play some role in the field of medicine.

While I support making accomodations so that disabled people can practice medicine, I don't understand what special accomodations you think that gay people need to succeed as doctors. Please clarify how these groups have similar needs.

Originally posted by Stranger
While I support making accomodations so that disabled people can practice medicine, I don't understand what special accomodations you think that gay people need to succeed as doctors. Please clarify how these groups have similar needs.

can disabled pple practice medicine? I htought you had to be competent physically to be able to?

Members don't see this ad :)
A homosexual isn't a minority.

Yes, gays and lesbians are a minority as we do make up less than 50% of the population.

also, we don't receive any sort of affirmative action from any university or program that I have ever heard from. in fact, we are one of the only remaining groups in the US that it's ok to hate. we still face government legislated discrimination in the form of adoption laws, the proposed defense of marriage ammendment, and "don't ask, don't tell" (which, by the way, makes me ineligible for military scholarships for medical school which I had been considering).

to the OP, i think you should leave all your experiences in your application and not hide yourself. on the other hand, i don't think you should volunteer the fact that you're gay if it doesn't come up, as it may seem like you're reaching. also, just like many people talk about the death of a relative or some traumatic experience in their app, talking about being gay and dealing with that can make an applicant even more impressive because thats one extra thing to deal with.

one thing that sucks about the interview process (IMHO) is the unspoken assumption that I am straight. I have been asked hetero-normative questions (when am i going to have a wife and kids, what would i do if something stressful happened like i broke up with my girlfriend) in almost every interview. you would think that doctors, who have to deal with a lot of things and diverse types of people would assume less.

anyway, my $0.02, and sorry for the long post.

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit
can disabled pple practice medicine? I htought you had to be competent physically to be able to?
one quick thing... at my university there is a blind Md/PhD student who wants to do clinical research.

Originally posted by jak21
one quick thing... at my university there is a blind Md/PhD student who wants to do clinical research.

how can you do research when you are blind?

legally blind doesn't neccesarily mean you can't see. I feel sexual preference has no place in determining acceptence. No doctor I know comes into the office and says, "Oh hello, I'm straight are you fine with that? Or would you like a homosexual doctor to help you?" Who the hell cares. . . your doctor's private life is none of your business, just like yours isn't his business (except medically). I think homosexual students should have no advantage over their straight counterparts. If they want they can tell everyone they are homosexual after they get in, not using it as a crutch to aid them through the door.

Originally posted by Jsscales05
legally blind doesn't neccesarily mean you can't see. I feel sexual preference has no place in determining acceptence. No doctor I know comes into the office and says, "Oh hello, I'm straight are you fine with that? Or would you like a homosexual doctor to help you?" Who the hell cares. . . your doctor's private life is none of your business, just like yours isn't his business (except medically). I think homosexual students should have no advantage over their straight counterparts. If they want they can tell everyone they are homosexual after they get in, not using it as a crutch to aid them through the door.

homosexual patients want to be treated by homosexual doctors

the same way female patients prefer going to an OBGYN primary physician, and the female primary physician...

you need different groups to be accepted to cater to their own communities..

and I disagree with your assertion, there are tons and TONSof pple that have the disclaimer "I'm a heterosexual" wiht the ring they where, with the gf they bring to the parties, with the gf they hold hands with, and on and on and....

I understand the OB/GYN statement, but please go into detail about homosexuals needing to be treated by other homosexuals. I do not understand what this has to do with the anything. I know a few homosexuals who see straight doctors, they have no problem. For every service do you need someone from your culture to be a represenative. . . .not always. That is almost like saying I want a Buddhist doctor because I'm Buddhist. Does that really affect your health, no.

I understand the OB/GYN statement, but please go into detail about homosexuals needing to be treated by other homosexuals. I do not understand what this has to do with the anything. I know a few homosexuals who see straight doctors, they have no problem. For every service do you need someone from your culture to be a represenative. . . .not always. That is almost like saying I want a Buddhist doctor because I'm Buddhist. Does that really affect your health, no.

there are straight pple who feel that AIDS is the disease of gays...

there are straight pple who assume that all their patients are straight..

I've gone to 20 doctors..none of them have a clue I'm gay..I dont talk gay...very masculine...not remotely effeminate...

they ask me about my sexual practices (not really active either)...

he says, so what have you been doing with your gf? just practice safely when doing things with your gf

so when are you going to get married...

each and every time, I have to change the pronoun from a he to a she so I can get the same info..

besides, I dont feel comfortable talking about my sexual orientation with a straight guy..."BECAUSE I DONT WANT HIM TO KNOW"

i would feel more comfortable with someone who is gay or lesbian, who knows where I'm coming from, and instruct me on gay topics of which the straight counterpart has no clue what I'm talking about...

this clearly shows how you are ignorant on the topic....that's all, please dont take offense..

but there isnt A SINGLE heterosexual that I know, that doesnt flaunt their sexuality..

oh check out the boobs, check out the legs...that gurl is fine...and half the time I play along with it..

90% of my class doesnt even know I'm gay...and I didn't "use" to gain acceptance...but ur a real ****** if you are going into medicine that all homosexuals flaunt their sexuality

we dont, a helluva lot less than you straight pple anyway :D

Can I talk about sexual practices with you?

will that make you "feel" comfortable...if you are really straight, or bisexual/homosexaul homophobe, then chances are you are NOT goign to feel comfortable

especially if you are a religious person, then you are going to look down on your patient..

ur not being objective...there are doctors out there, who still think they can make their patients become straight :rolleyes:

Did I ever say all homosexuals flaunt themselves? You are putting words into my mouth. I feel sorry that you feel so tormented by your doctors for asking you questions and assuming your straight.

Did I ever say all homosexuals flaunt themselves? You are putting words into my mouth. I feel sorry that you feel so tormented by your doctors for asking you questions and assuming your straight.

well NOW you know...why there is a need for a diffferent group of pple...

if you were my doctor, and since I know about your beliefs, I would be sure in hell scared to tell you about my private life..

cuz apparently, telling my doctor about my life...is fluanting my "lifestyle"

you pple need to stop putting the broomstick up your a$$es and realize how good you have it being straight....

I'm sick and tired of pple saying, gays have this obsession with everyone knowing their gay..

WELL HELLO..

I'm sure 95% of the pple around you know ur straight..

do this, go for a month, without making ANY heterosexual remark..

NONE whatsoever...if you did, ur "flaunting ur sexuality"

if you have a gf, stop going public with her for a month
:rolleyes:

after 20 years, ur bound to explode....just u try :D

and if u have a wife, a long time "partner"...DONT tell anyone ur in a relationship with a straight women...just say ur single?

now WHO is being dishonet?!

After going through the process of applying and getting into medical school, I'd also have to agree with the above posts that commented on how most applicants imagine adcoms as these incredibly entities of old crusty conservative white men. Before applying I imagined them as old conservative men. After applying and meeting many of the adcom at my school, I realized that many are people of color, women, homosexuals, etc. Most are made up of incredibly generous and caring people. People watch too much television. I am sure that some schools would be largely turned off by your comfortability with representing your sexuality (Loma Linda, perhaps Georgetown..). However, I would say that most schools would not be turned off by mentioning your 'gay-related' EC. Here at UCSF (very liberal) there are openly gay people on the admissions committee (both faculty and students) and openly gay physicians who teach in the classroom and attend on the wards.

ljube's comment on not wanting a gay doctor 'touching his balls' speaks to his inability to understand that almost all physicians are able to separate sexuality from professionality. Does he think that the gay physician will have sexual feelings for him, or would it really bother him if a gay man examined him? Says a lot about his comfortability with his own sexuality if you ask me.

Bottom line..if part of what defines who are you is your sexuality, and if it shows character, leadership, and empathy...then I would definitely not leave it out. Leaving it out due to fear would be a regret, imho.

Best of luck.

Homosexuals are only a minority because they point themselves out to be one. Pedophiles are a minority, as are necropheliacs and dedropheliacs.

Pointing out your sexual orientation as a "unique factor" or "minority" is just a cheap way to weasle your way into medical school. Please cut the bull**** and find something more relevant for your application.

Watcha, I feel bad that you feel so repressed man. You sound like you just don't open your mouth because everyone is going to persecute you. Stop believing everyone is ignorant, because they will usually prove you wrong. Why not just try living your life and not worrying about opnions of other people? Not me, not your doctors, not anyone. I believe in a professional world though you are a professional not matter if someone is telling you about sex with his wife or homosexual partner.

Watcha, I feel bad that you feel so repressed man. You sound like you just don't open your mouth because everyone is going to persecute you. Stop believing everyone is ignorant, because they will usually prove you wrong. Why not just try living your life and not worrying about opnions of other people? Not me, not your doctors, not anyone. I believe in a professional world though you are a professional not matter if someone is telling you about sex with his wife or homosexual partner.

just worry about the above poster :rolleyes:

and you know what I'm talking about...

thankfully I didnt have to put down Im gay on my application and I got in to 10 places...but sometimes I wish I had....

anyway, JKMD u are a ******, and please stay in south carolina

heterosexuals can have their fiances transfer over to their medical school, BECAUSE they are heterosexuals

can gays do the same ****?

no way....somebody finds out ur gay, ur "flaungint it to the whole world" :rolleyes:

watcha,
ur gay? i thought we were going to get married :(.

watcha,
ur gay? i thought we were going to get married :(.

I'm just as heart broken as you are :(

we can still marry, but we won't have any babies :D :(

go back to studying...haha, why do you think I was asking you if there were any gay guys in your class ;)

well I know there is definitely one gay guy in ur class...cuz its rather obvious...I was just wondering if there were any masculine ones who dont scream gay when they talk :cool:

I was just wondering if there were any masculine ones who dont scream gay when they talk :cool:

hmm... well... i am just going on gaydar right now, so i haven't picked up any of the less obvious ones ;). i will try to scope it out for you, though i'm sure it will take a while since there don't appear to be any very openly gay people around.
why can't we have babies? :( maybe i can get artifically inseminated.

hmm... well... i am just going on gaydar right now, so i haven't picked up any of the less obvious ones ;). i will try to scope it out for you, though i'm sure it will take a while since there don't appear to be any very openly gay people around.
why can't we have babies? :( maybe i can get artifically inseminated.

gaydar for most pple is off hon...it doesnt work, believe me

we can have babies...but ur bf must never find out about us ;)

As a physician who was out in my med school application process AND out during my residency application process, I feel compelled to put in my two cents.

The best point I read in this thread is - If a school doesn't want to accept you based only on you sexual orientation, is that really a place you will be comfortable for the next 4 years? Of course it depends on how much (if at all) you are in the closet currently. When I did my med school applications 5+ years ago I was totally out in my job and social life (non-traditional applicant - 29 yrs old) and couldn't imagine going back into the closet for 4 years. I never "flaunted" my lesbianism, but my application included time I spent volunteering for the Mautner Project for LESBIANS with cancer and if asked directly during an interview, I never hesitated to mention my partner. I always asked some friendly looking student if there were any GLBTQ folks in the class or on the faculty, and I tried to make contact with the appropriate GLB groups on whatever campus I visited. If you would like to know my stats from my AMCAS application - PM me

I attended a medical school in Virginia (the south) in Norfolk (a military town and the home of the Christian Broadcasting Network). I managed to be out from the first day of school (my partner attended the white coat ceremony and joined the Alliance spouse's group) and get elected class president. Never in 4 years there did I experience one negative comment or action by the faculty or staff because of my sexual orientation. My partner was well known by folks at school (including multiple deans) and she attended most social occasions with me (when they weren't gonna be too boring).

So, in conclusion, be honest on your application because admission committees at most institutions are not looking for carbon copies of every other applicant. Admissions committes are not composed of all republican conservative white anglo saxon christian male physicians (not that there is anything wrong with the above described people). So maybe you won't get granted an interview at every place you apply - but at least you will know that they want to interview YOU and not some fake person on the paper.

(BTW - I was also out on my ERAS application - and got an interview offer at EVERY program I applied to in Emergency Medicine and am currently the only OUT gay person in my program)

Thanks for listening to my $0.02

If there are other GLBT pre-med folks out there (or in med school folks - feel free to PM with further questions)

yeah, my gaydar is off sometimes, but i think i have better than average gaydar for sure.
it works when you are gay, right? or is it just as hard if you are gay to figure out?

yeah, my gaydar is off sometimes, but i think i have better than average gaydar for sure.
it works when you are gay, right? or is it just as hard if you are gay to figure out?

LOL...I had 20 conversations with 20 pple last year, who could swear that they could find a gay miles and miles away....

and I was like, do you think there are any gay pple in our class and she was, I dont think there are any..

and I was sitting right next to her :rolleyes: :D

you are fooling yourself hon :)

:laugh: maybe.
i wouldn't swear i could find "a gay" from miles away, but it's amazing how many people i've thought were gay end up being gay. and some of them aren't even obvious ones.

This is true. But if a guy ever uses the word 'hon' I think either he is (a) an 80 year old redneck or (b) very gay. ;)

Originally posted by tBw
This is true. But if a guy ever uses the word 'hon' I think either he is (a) an 80 year old redneck or (b) very gay. ;)

are you trying to be funny?

origionally posted by futrEDdoc and others

If a school doesn't want to accept you based only on you sexual orientation, is that really a place you will be comfortable for the next 4 years?

I disagree with this because if one or a few adcom members don't like you, you could be rejected from a school, especially if your application was already borderline at that school. The opinion of one adcom member is probably not representative of the atmosphere of the school in general, and the opinion of one person alone should not keep you from going to an otherwise wonderful school.

Although I think being out while applying is risky, I still wouldn't discourage anyone from being honest if it comes up.

hey kids,

here's how i think it could screw you over without it being a spoken issue...

adcoms meet and discuss each applicant, right?

it takes a couple naysayers who are homophobic to say that they aren't impressed with [insert random part of your application]. they can pretend to be dissatisfied with your second semester of physics or say your essay sounds insincere.

i would be careful about this but that is my paranoid point of view!

nikoo

I've read a bunch of prospectuses and they say that they do not discriminate based on x,x,x. I think that sexual orientation is included.

Do what feels best for you. If you're not comfortable being open about being gay, don't include it. If it's important to you to be open about yourself, include it.

I went through the admissions process last year, and I think adcoms are, in general, a little more open-minded than people might think (granted, this is my experience applying to certain schools, and now I'm out school in California, diversity central). Adcoms want the best students, and the best students who are going to bring something extra to the class. And if they have a problem with gay people, they're missing out. Their loss. I had some qualms about it, and I'd advise you to just do what your gut tells you, but in my experience, people are more okay with it than I thought they'd be.

We're even trying to give interviewees here a little pamphlet in their viewbook they get when they're here to let them know that the admissions committee is totally accepting of sexual orientation, and welcomes diversity and differences.

(Edited) REPOST-----

Here it is, right from the Loma Linda website, their "sexual standards policy".

"All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

http://www.llu.edu/llu/handbook/6q.htm

And here is something else....

"And regarding homosexuals, the President of Loma Linda University, Lyn Behrens, was recently quoted in a Riverside, California newspaper saying that 'if someone makes (another) lifestyle choice, we would invite them to pursue their careers elsewhere.'"
http://www.sdakinship.org/anotherpov/06.htm

and another...

"Discrimination in Loma Linda ? In a recent interview in the Riverside Press Enterprise, B. Lyn Behrens, MBBS, President of Loma Linda University and Medical Center, said she makes "no apologies" for the fact that the institution does not accept lesbians or gay men. Although this institution is affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist Church, discrimination is a violation of California law. Martha Matthews is interested in hearing from anyone who has been discriminated against by Loma Linda University and Medical Center."

http://www.aclu-sc.org/activism/cha...ccurrent.htm#ll

(Edited) REPOST-----

Here it is, right from the Loma Linda website, their "sexual standards policy".

"All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

http://www.llu.edu/llu/handbook/6q.htm

And here is something else....

"And regarding homosexuals, the President of Loma Linda University, Lyn Behrens, was recently quoted in a Riverside, California newspaper saying that 'if someone makes (another) lifestyle choice, we would invite them to pursue their careers elsewhere.'"
http://www.sdakinship.org/anotherpov/06.htm

and another...

"Discrimination in Loma Linda ? In a recent interview in the Riverside Press Enterprise, B. Lyn Behrens, MBBS, President of Loma Linda University and Medical Center, said she makes "no apologies" for the fact that the institution does not accept lesbians or gay men. Although this institution is affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist Church, discrimination is a violation of California law. Martha Matthews is interested in hearing from anyone who has been discriminated against by Loma Linda University and Medical Center."

http://www.aclu-sc.org/activism/cha...ccurrent.htm#ll

That is intensely shocking that such blatant and unapologetic discrimination could occur at an institution of higher learning...What would be so attractive about such an institution, bigotry aside anyway? It's not on the US News Report top 50 :laugh:

That is intensely shocking that such blatant and unapologetic discrimination could occur at an institution of higher learning...What would be so attractive about such an institution, bigotry aside anyway? It's not on the US News Report top 50 :laugh:

This kind of discrimination, sadly, isn't *that* uncommon in institutions of higher learning. Ever heard of Bob Jones University?

Keep the feather head-dress and rainbow flag at home and you should be fine.

I absoloutely agree with mamadoc. The idea that many people carry around in there heads -- that an adcom is populated by conservative older men hell-bent on maintaining the tradition of the school -- does not reflect reality. Duke, for example, has the reputation of being a fairly conservative place.

Really, I heard the opposite that it is liberal. I read the story that lots of Duke students wore black after Bush won the 2004 election. I don't know, maybe it is an urban myth.

That Loma Linda stuff is BS. I am a Christian myself and I can't stand that my religion is used to fuel hate filled bigotry.

Hi,
I'm a homosexual pre-med student, and i have been involved with a campus student group organization that strives to promote awareness and tolerance for homosexuals among the student body. do you think my chances of acceptance to med school would decrease if i put this as part of my extracurricular activities?
Thanx :)

I would put down the experience on the app as a matter of fact type of thing but don't go into detail. No one writes down "I am heterosexual" on an application so you shouldn't feel any need to write about your sexuality and your sexuality should have no impact on getting in. I don't think an ADCOM committee is going to knock you down for a work experience that shows that you "might" be gay.

good luck on your apps!

Really, I heard the opposite that it is liberal. I read the story that lots of Duke students wore black after Bush won the 2004 election. I don't know, maybe it is an urban myth.

That Loma Linda stuff is BS. I am a Christian myself and I can't stand that my religion is used to fuel hate filled bigotry.

Duke is predominantly liberal, although there is a small enclave of boisterous and arrogant conservatives. There is a lot of old money and preppy dress, which projects the appearance of a more-conservative-than-average-campus, but politically the student body is mostly liberal.

Hi,
I'm a homosexual pre-med student, and i have been involved with a campus student group organization that strives to promote awareness and tolerance for homosexuals among the student body. do you think my chances of acceptance to med school would decrease if i put this as part of my extracurricular activities?
Thanx :)

Stay away from this topic, dont ask dont policy will work great.

Addressing the OP's question, personally I would leave it off. Your app could fall into the hands of a bigot who would discriminate but I can't see it falling in the hands of someone else who would give you preference.

It is like putting down a political group, if you were a College Democrat a Republican could get it and vice versa.