Honest Advice/constructive criticism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I just wanted to explain my current situation so that I can get more opinions and ideas for the future.

First off, I am 21 years old and I have 2 semesters left at UIC university of illinois at chicago.
My overall GPA is 3.62.
My community college GPA was 3.5 due to my freshman year and getting C's in anatomy & physiology 1 & 2. Needless to say, After I decided to pursue medical school, i retook these classes and obtained A's in both.
I have taken 46 credit hours at UIC and managed a 3.85 GPA. (thanks to taking physics 1 and homeostasis during the summer, Don't do the 4 week homeostasis it's brutal LOL)

My extra curriculars include time working as an EMT ( about 250+ hours but had to stop due to my previous shoulder injury weight lifting and I needed subsequent surgery to decompress my shoulders, I can honestly say my heavy lifting days are over, i only do moderate cardio and very light weight training)

I volunteer at a level 1 trauma center, in the emergency room. I have about 200 hours so far but i know the hours isn't what's important, it's the experience. I have witnessed many awe inspiring procedures including one where a neurosurgeon was operating directly in the ER after a patient was brought in from an MVA. I also dealt with a lot of less than thankful family members when asked to see their loved ones. I understand where they are coming from however.

I am also in the Medicina scholars program at my state schools medical school (UIC college of medicine). Here, each month i go to a 4 hour long seminar where Doctors talk to us about health disparities and problems in healthcare.

I also held a grocery store clerk position for 2 years while in my first two years in college where I was responsible for opening and closing the store and making sure everything was in order as well as satisfying every customer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem I face now is my next semester which I think will truly test me.
I will be taking
Physics 2 w/lab - 5 hours
Organic chemistry 2 - 4 hours
Genetics lecture - 3 hours
Genetics lab - 3 hours

While starting my brand new research position at my state medical school (UIC College of Medicine).
(My research involves the Ras initiative incase anyone was interested, I have no idea how I landed this position but I am grateful)

I recently just finished up my most recent semester with a 4.0
Ecology/Evolution (Believe it or not this was my hardest class)
Organic chemistry 1 (was one of top scorers in class)
Cell biology

I was wondering how am I doing with regards everything I have planned.
Any insight would be much appreciated thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are doing very well! Congratulations on your amazing record so far :) Your GPA has a great upward trend and you have a great shot at some of the best programs in the country! Here are my challenges to you:

1. Kick butt in that semester you have coming up and get A's. It won't be super easy, but it's also not awful since you are only taking 3 courses (while lab is time consuming and is a "course" in and of itself, I don't count it for the same mental effort since you're already learning the material for the course).

2. Get a 35+ on the MCAT to compensate a tiny bit for your slightly lower than average GPA at the top programs. You will do just fine with a 30+ but if you can push to a 35 you will be competitive everywhere.

3. Distinguish yourself in research in some way. Try and get a presentation/poster session/abstract out. Maybe at the end of the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
a 35+ and you are good... good lord.... way to make someone reach for something

I did say they are challenges ;)

OP seems to have really great balance and is able to juggle a lot of things at once, I think he/she can do this!

OP is doing fantastic. At the end of the day, it's the MCAT though. More important even than getting As in all your classes in this upcoming semester is figuring out when/how you're going to prepare for MCAT. Start putting some serious thought into that. Otherwise, you're doing well above average in almost every aspect for acceptancees. I know that you'll see ******ed numbers of hours and ridiculous experiences and publications on these forums, but it's just not like that in most schools for most people. Yes I have classmates with Ph. Ds, Pharm D.'s, lots of research, a million research/volunteer hours, but the vast majority of us have mediocre to bad ECs and solid MCAT scores. I don't know of anyone with stupid awesome ECs and a bad MCAT.