Honest advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaminj

FDA Approval Pending
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m in need of everyone?s honest opinion (and from reading the following posts I?m sure that?s exactly what I?ll get) At the moment I?m currently in the midst of my third year rotations and doing somewhat ok?basically a mix of HP?s and H?s, which is great. The problem lies in my pre-clerkship record, during my first year I was dealing with the death of both my parents, and a major bout of withdrawal from reality, and to make a long story short, I ended up doing remediation for both physiology and genetics (ok strike one and two). My next year was ok, a sea of P?s, and my Step I was an illustrious 214? So this leads me to my point, do I have a snowballs chance in hell of procuring an Anesthesiology residency? Oh yeah let me add another twist to the story I need to be in the NYC area. No this is not a horrible fairy tale, but this is my life, and I?d like some feedback on what I should do..
-My CV is actually not that bad, excellent leadership material, etc??. however when it gets down to it credentials either make or break you? correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you'll be fine. Even going for the NYC programs. Clerkship grades are more important than the early grades. I would be sure to explain your situation of remediation etc. in your personal statement (while being extremely careful to not be making excuses). Also try your best on Step 2, do some away rotations, and apply to all the NYC programs and I wish you the best.:D

Just going through the match this past year and seeing the caliber of applicants out there you should have absolutely no problem securing a spot. NYC area has a lot of programs. What seems to get people "in the door" (interviews) are Step I scores (which yours is fine) and letters. ANY clinical honors from 3rd year is going above and beyond.

I did away rotations and they helped me tremendously. If you have a chance do anesthesia at your school before going away. They will most likely expect you to know something. Other than that don't buy into the hype. Remember there were 89 (7%) unfilled positions this year. NYU didn't fill.

As far a programs, your numbers should give you interviews at Columbia, NYU, Sinai...pretty much everywhere except Cornell. They only give you interviews if you're from Ivy League Med school, or if you went to Ivy League undergrad. Bunch of snobs. Fortunately for everyone they didn't fill this year.

Cheers and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed 1 preclinical course and marginally passed 2 other preclinical courses. I pretty much got all my interviews. Most programs did not even care about my preclinical grades (I think 2 programs mentioned it on my interviews... 1 to say that he didn't give a rat's ass about preclinical grades and I didn't have to worry).

In fact, I really don't think even grades in clinical rotations are too important... one of the attendings at my med school even said that no one really cares about clinical grades (as long as you don't fail) b/c there is so much variability between schools. What seemed a lot more important were letters of rec, step I, and interviews.

You are in pretty good shape but some programs may cut off their applicant pool at 215 for step 1. Take step 2, study, and you will surely do better. This will open more doors for you.

Man, I agree with most people here!!
Surely you had a tough circumstance in MS I, and you still came out ahead, and tha's admirable. Just be ready to acknoledge the hardship (and teh reason) without making it long or sounding too dramatic. In fact say that you should have done better, but make sure they know what happened....at least most people will undersatnd! And, try to do good on Step 2!

Best of luck!

As far a programs, your numbers should give you interviews at Columbia, NYU, Sinai...pretty much everywhere except Cornell. They only give you interviews if you're from Ivy League Med school, or if you went to Ivy League undergrad. Bunch of snobs. Fortunately for everyone they didn't fill this year.

That's not true about Cornell, otherwise they wouldn't have interviewed me.

dude, relax. anesthesia ain't ortho. you're a solid candidate and you will match.

Agree with above...everyone loves a comeback kid. Just keep working hard in 3rd year, get some good letters, and score above avg on Step 2 and you'll be in great shape.