1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Honest answer.....?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Gutierrez001, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Gutierrez001

Gutierrez001 Member
    5+ Year Member

Well, i am worried. When i first started college I did not know what i wanted to do and i did not care to much also. So i had to take a bunch of prep classes before starting college classes.My problem is that i looked at my transcript today and it wasnt nice , i have alot of withdraws and repeats. My question is what do i do, and do i have a chance in the future to get into medical school.( I know you guys get this question a million time a day) I would really like your honest answer on this.THANKS

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Peace&Health

Peace&Health Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Guiterrez,

I was in a similar situation...and the best thing you can do is set a new record for yourself. Take courses at a 4-yr institution to show that you can perform, and make sure you get As. Re-take those courses if necessary.
    Also, find a mentor--if you know a a doctor, tell them about your situation and ask them if they would be willing to mentor you thru this process (give you advice, help you excel, and write a letter of rec for you in the end). They've been thru the process. Also, talk to a pre-med advisor.

Then you need to do well on the MCAT...30 or higher is better.

:luck:
    Peace&Health

4. Gutierrez001

Gutierrez001 Member
    5+ Year Member

How do you explain poor grade?

5. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    As far as the grades go, I would just be honest. The only class that i had to repeat in college was OChem I. I received a D in it the first time I took it. When I took the course a second time, I recieved an A. Although the A replaced the D, Med schools still see the first grade you received.

I was asked a few times about how I got a D in OChem and then went to an A. I told them the truth. I was only a second year college student and was not academically mature enough to handle 19 hours with OChem, Cell Bio, Ecology and about 3 other courses. I told them that I learned how to manage my time better and made myself study more. Then all seemed to like that answer. However, sometimes you could get a rouge interviewer that just totally picks you apart witht that statement.

I wish you luck in your application process. The above posters had some great advice as well. Having a 30 plus MCAT would definitely help, but you can get in with a lower score as well.

Aaron

6. Gutierrez001

Gutierrez001 Member
    5+ Year Member

well after this summer i will be starting(hopefully) a 4-yr institution. I was at a community college when i got all those grades. I hoping switch to a better school will help me improve my chances.