Honest answer.....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, i am worried. When i first started college I did not know what i wanted to do and i did not care to much also. So i had to take a bunch of prep classes before starting college classes.My problem is that i looked at my transcript today and it wasnt nice , i have alot of withdraws and repeats. My question is what do i do, and do i have a chance in the future to get into medical school.( I know you guys get this question a million time a day) I would really like your honest answer on this.THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guiterrez,

I was in a similar situation...and the best thing you can do is set a new record for yourself. Take courses at a 4-yr institution to show that you can perform, and make sure you get As. Re-take those courses if necessary.
Also, find a mentor--if you know a a doctor, tell them about your situation and ask them if they would be willing to mentor you thru this process (give you advice, help you excel, and write a letter of rec for you in the end). They've been thru the process. Also, talk to a pre-med advisor.

Then you need to do well on the MCAT...30 or higher is better.

:luck:
Peace&Health

How do you explain poor grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the grades go, I would just be honest. The only class that i had to repeat in college was OChem I. I received a D in it the first time I took it. When I took the course a second time, I recieved an A. Although the A replaced the D, Med schools still see the first grade you received.

I was asked a few times about how I got a D in OChem and then went to an A. I told them the truth. I was only a second year college student and was not academically mature enough to handle 19 hours with OChem, Cell Bio, Ecology and about 3 other courses. I told them that I learned how to manage my time better and made myself study more. Then all seemed to like that answer. However, sometimes you could get a rouge interviewer that just totally picks you apart witht that statement.

I wish you luck in your application process. The above posters had some great advice as well. Having a 30 plus MCAT would definitely help, but you can get in with a lower score as well.

Aaron

well after this summer i will be starting(hopefully) a 4-yr institution. I was at a community college when i got all those grades. I hoping switch to a better school will help me improve my chances.