SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Honest thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by silief, May 15, 2008.

1. silief

May 15, 2008
    Sorry to do this, but I'd appreciate the input...

Step 1: 228
    Surgery: High pass
    Medicine: Pass
    Publications: One first-author paper (chart review) and one case report (both ophtho)
    Top 10 med school
    Ophtho LORs: Two from big names I did research with
    Non-Ophtho LOR: Don't really have a good one from medicine or surgery. Have a solid FP LOR or a big name medicine research LOR.

What are my chances at a research-based program? A community-based program? # of programs to apply to?

I'd especially appreciate advice on the non-ophtho LOR.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MR1

MR1 10+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2006
    My 2 cents. Your step 1 is average for ophtho, which is good. The first author paper is really good and if the 2 LOR's from those "big names" are excellent then that will really help. IF you are shooting for a big research school I think you best bet is somewhere those 2 are known. As far as the non-ophtho letter, my opinion is it doesn't matter at all. I don't know if not having a clinical ophtho letter will hurt you though. You have an excellent chance at a lot of programs, my advice apply widely, to schools on every tier. Write down every school you would be willing to go to and want to go to and then talk to your PD to narrow them down
  4. ojos

ojos 2+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2007
    It looks like you've obviously put effort into trying to go into ophtho with your research. Don't let fear of failure discourage you from trying to go into the field. It is wise to be realistic and to be prepared - so you might want to also consider applying to another specialty as a back-up just in case. I think in a competitive field such as this one, it is difficult even for a competitive applicant to asses where he stacks up against other applicants.

That being said, I would agree with everything MR1 has said, and I think you definitely have a good shot at matching into a good program.

Good luck!
  5. rb10

rb10 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Ojos gave the best advice. Just to add my $.2- I know someone with the same Step 1 score, same or lower clerkship scores and no 1st author publications. (something was submitted though) They did well on Step 2 though - that might be something to consider. Also did not come from a top 10 school. Ultimately, they matched VERY well. With those LORs and research, you look to be in good shape. Best of luck!