Honestly, How bad is too bad?

Started by bamabcs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bamabcs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am having trouble figuring out a situation that I am in. You see, I just finished high school and I am about to go to college. I took some college courses in high school, one of them being General Biology, and to my unfortunate fate I received a D in that class even though I worked through it. What I am asking though, is that even if I retake the class and (hopefully) get an A; would you think that adcom's would still use the D against me in the admissions process? I mean come on! It was during high school!
 
Hello, I am having trouble figuring out a situation that I am in. You see, I just finished high school and I am about to go to college. I took some college courses in high school, one of them being General Biology, and to my unfortunate fate I received a D in that class even though I worked through it. What I am asking though, is that even if I retake the class and (hopefully) get an A; would you think that adcom's would still use the D against me in the admissions process? I mean come on! It was during high school!

if that D was your last, and the rest of your grades from here on out are fine, then I doubt it'll ever be an issue.
 
If you've taken a lot of college-level science courses and you know that you can do well, then you'll be ok. I would be worried, however, if that's the only college-level science class you've taken and you worked hard and couldn't hack it. But if it's just one grade and you did well in all your other classes I wouldn't worry too much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They may, but you're also just starting out in college courses. You will struggle and you will learn from them. It's all about evolving as a person, to learn from your mistake and crank out As in your upper level courses
 
Hello, I am having trouble figuring out a situation that I am in. You see, I just finished high school and I am about to go to college. I took some college courses in high school, one of them being General Biology, and to my unfortunate fate I received a D in that class even though I worked through it. What I am asking though, is that even if I retake the class and (hopefully) get an A; would you think that adcom's would still use the D against me in the admissions process? I mean come on! It was during high school!


Adcoms like to see a trend in your grades. I would not worry so much about the D and instead try to change your study habits and try getting an A this time.
I was a really bad student in high school (ranked like 219 out of 294). I just finished my 1st semester in college with all As.