Mar 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys

So i am signed up for honors calc I this sem. I am a rising freshman. I scored a 770 on SAT Math Level 2, but I should have scored an 800. I made stupid mistakes and missed easy questions and got no sleep b4 exam. I have learned calculus but don't have Calc AB background. From what I have seen, I have been able to follow pretty easily along with the class and actually find calculus so interesting. Based on my scores, I am more than eligible to take the course. Does the SAT subject test score and ACT math score (99th percentile) represent that i am ready for honors calc I? I really don't want to get any B's this semester, and I am willing to work my ass off for honors calc.

THanks

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
You'll be fine

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student

bcemslayer

2+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I wanted to take honours Calc I, but for some reason it wasn't offered my year. I received an A+ in regular Calc I and I qualified for taking honours CalcII.
I failed the first midterm in the class and withdrew for a beautiful W on my transcript. And it actually threw off my class schedule for a couple years.

For myself, I should have asked the question: Top of the class in an average class, or middle/failure in top class?

Everything worked out in the end. Just my personal experience. Not questioning your abilities at all! I just wish that I didn't try to show off. I didn't need honours calc for my honours degree, I just wanted to sound cool.

Reactions: freak7

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
can i suggest that for purposes of medical school, there is no difference in having honors calc over regular calc and almost none is having any calc.

Reactions: Cawolf
OP
TheInstitute
Mar 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
can i suggest that for purposes of medical school, there is no difference in having honors calc over regular calc and almost none is having any calc.
I am interested in math and want to pursue a minor. I will also be taking more courses that require good calc skills such as calc based physics, P-Chem, Calc 2 and MV calc.