Honors Society/Fellowship Grants/etc...How did you get these Senior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, there are a lot of external awards outside of college... I mean there are some grand distinguishing awards such as USA all-academic team, fulbright, or rhodes scholarships.

But, I think Im more along the lines of hopefully phi beta kappa, which I realize is awarded at the end of the year. I perhaps would be interested in throwing my application in for other societies/national scholarships. I was just simply wondering if anyone had any info about such competitive scholarships/societies/grants and how one should approach this.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Transformers,

I was nominated for Phi Beta Kappa as a senior. Normally it is reserved for extremely high achieving seniors (and some juniors only), who have a recorded of multidisciplinary excellence.

If you have excellent grades and a broad range of academic interests then you may be automatically nominated for PBK based on stats.

I, on the other hand, did not have an insane GPA (3.68), but I had three majors in four years...and I happened to be in a teaching program with the PBK faculty president at our university. Knowing an existing PBK member is the only way to improve your chances of being accepted without amazing stats. [Note: I didn't know he was the PBK president until he handed me the award on stage.]

Last edited:
As far as I know, don't you get selected to honor societies like those based on your GPA and also of your peers'?

I could only speak for engineering and for Tau Beta Pi (engineering honor society equivalent), they pick the top 12% of juniors and 20% of seniors to be in it. So it seems that it's based on your GPA relative to others...

I wouldn't know how Phi Beta Kappa do it on the other hand...

Members don't see this ad :)
what about random online grants/scholarships/awards by companies, etc...im sorry i sound a bit lazy in searching for them myself, but Id really appreciate if anyone in the past applied to such grants...i basically ahve some time in the summer to work on essays/apps (outside of med school) so I was just curious about what opportunities individuals ahve partaken in the past.

your school advising offices should be able to help

OP, Phi Beta Kappa is respected in academic circles. I am glad that I am a member. If your college has a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, then set your sights on meeting their standards for election.

My college has a faculty adviser who recruited and counseled students regarding other prestigious awards, such as Truman, Fullbright, and Watson scholarships. One student in my class became a Rhodes Scholar which is about as elite as you can get.

If you really are a top student, check out the resources at your undergrad and try to get some advice. But if you are scratching for a 3.5gpa, don't waste your time.

Last edited: