How many gap years did you take and what did you do during them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curi0usmd

Reaction score
I'm seeing an increasing number of applicants take gap years these days. Did you have any regrets about taking one or more? Personally, I believe that taking a gap year (or more) to gain life experience before entering medical school is really useful.

Members don't see this ad.

4 gap years (would have been 3 but COVID). Worked for 2 years, got my masters for a year and a half after. Traveling and relaxing now. Well worth, feel 100% ready physically, mentally, and academically going into school!

Reactions: 1 users
4 gap years (would have been 3 but COVID). Worked for 2 years, got my masters for a year and a half after. Traveling and relaxing now. Well worth, feel 100% ready physically, mentally, and academically going into school!
That's amazing! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Non-trad career changer, so lots of gap years, but I did do Peace Corps with 2 women who went to medical school immediately after finishing service. Applying from abroad was tough, but both got into pretty great MD schools. My Peace Corps service came up during interviews this season, even though I finished service 8 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated undergrad at 20, MS at 22. Worked as an engineer, small business owner, and engineering instructor until now at age 29. I also medically transitioned and got engaged and will be married hopefully with a bun in my fiance's oven when I'm applying. We've been able to travel around the eastern half of the US and a couple countries with a few more trips on the books.

Personally I had no plans to go to med school in my early 20s. I needed this decade to get my body and mind congruent, gain confidence, and realize what I truly wanted in life. The space away from school allowed me to do that and I'm 100% confident in my decision to pursue this now as I'll be applying at 30 next year.

Reactions: 3 users