Honors vs Regular courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927028

Hi,
My daughter is a freshman at a public university. She has taken a honors biology class for the first semester. She says she find it very hard mainly because the teacher doesn’t follow any specific book and go all over. Because of that she could not effectively prepare for the exams and worried it might affect her grades.

So, she is contemplating to switch to regular biology class. Will this be viewed negatively by the adcoms when she apply to medical schools? Will honors class help her in anyway or it doesn’t matter? @Goro, @Faha, @LizzyM and other adcoms, could you please respond?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
My daughter is a freshman at a public university. She has taken a honors biology class for the first semester. She says she find it very hard mainly because the teacher doesn’t follow any specific book and go all over. Because of that she could not effectively prepare for the exams and worried it might affect her grades.

So, she is contemplating to switch to regular biology class. Will this be viewed negatively by the adcoms when she apply to medical schools? Will honors class help her in anyway or it doesn’t matter? @Goro, @Faha, @LizzyM and other adcoms, could you please respond?

Thank you
On AACOMAS apps, I never see any course listed as honors. Just have her do well and take courses that she likes but are still challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honors classes tend to be smaller and may be taught by professors rather than TAs. So it's easier to get meaningful Letters of Recommendation.
Can confirm what is said here. My science LORs came from my honors courses.

Reactions: 1 user
LizzyM said seeing honors courses on the transcript give 0.01 point bonus gpa or something. It was in a past thread some time ago. But switching from honors to regular won't have much effect. Try to sprinkle in an honors class here or there if your daughter is interested in them and can handle them :mask: