Hoodia and diabetes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asha629

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows about the diet pill Hoodia. I was asked by a patient if they can take Hoodia while on Metformin for Type II diabetes. I wasn't able to find much information about this product. On the bottle, there wasn't any warnings like there usually is for most diet pills and most web sites that I found on the product said there were no side effects or interactions known. I ended up telling the patient that they should consult with their physician before taking the pills but I was just asking for my future reference.

Members don't see this ad.

HOODIA

Also Known As:

Cactus, Hoodia Gordonii Cactus, Hoodia P57, Kalahari Cactus, Kalahari Diet, P57, Xhoba.
Scientific Name:

Hoodia gordonii.
Family: Apocynaceae.
People Use This For:

Orally, hoodia is used as an appetite suppressant for obesity and weight loss.
Safety:

There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of hoodia.
Pregnancy and Lactation: Insufficient reliable information available; avoid using.
Effectiveness:

There is insufficient reliable information available about the effectiveness of hoodia.
Mechanism of Action:

The applicable parts of hoodia are the stems and roots. Hoodia is a succulent that grows in the Kalahari Desert. It is claimed that the San bushmen eat hoodia to stave off hunger during long hunts.
A specific component of hoodia extract is thought to be responsible for appetite suppressant properties. This constituent has been dubbed P57 (12002). This substance is thought to act centrally to stimulate sensations of satiety. The precise mechanism is not known.
Preliminary unpublished evidence suggests that overweight men who consume P57 have significantly lower calorie intake than those on placebo (12004). More evidence is needed to determine if hoodia is effective for any clinical condition.
Adverse Reactions:

None reported.
Interactions with Herbs & Supplements:

None known.
Interactions with Drugs:

None known.
Interactions with Foods:

None known.
Interactions with Lab Tests:

None known.
Interactions with Diseases or Conditions:

None known.
Dosage/Administration:

No typical dosage.
Comments:

The constituent of the hoodia extract called P57 is under development by Phytopharm. The company indicates that it has completed a positive study on the benefits of P57 for weight loss, but this study has not yet been published (12004). P57 was at one time licensed to Pfizer for development. Pfizer discontinued clinical development of P57 in 2003 (12003).
News reports suggest that some samples of hoodia products sold on the Internet show no evidence of containing actual hoodia (12002). Advise patients that they might not be getting what's listed on the label.

Source: Natural Medicins Comprehensive Database

Hoodia/Drug Interactions:
Insufficient available evidence.

Hoodia/Herb/Supplement Interactions:

Hoodia/Food Interactions:

Hoodia/Lab Interactions:
Insufficient available evidence
Source: Natural Standard

Few if any studies have been done on Hoodia, for the most part it is a load of Hoooie, only the pure plant has any effect, and 99.99999% of diet suppliments dont have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
suggest celery as an alternative

DownonthePharm said:
Few if any studies have been done on Hoodia, for the most part it is a load of Hoooie, only the pure plant has any effect, and 99.99999% of diet suppliments dont have it.

You mean.. 0.00001% have it?? :eek:

ZpackSux said:
You mean.. 0.00001% have it?? :eek:

There are actually one or two suppliments that actually have the pure plant in them. But they are hard to find and very expensive. I think you would be better off buying a pair of shoes and walking around the neighborhood.

The problem with Hoodia is that it not only reduced appetite but it also reduces thirst, and this is not the best thing for some some people, but like as mentioned above most supplements fill their capsule with other stuff anyway.

The problem with Hoodia is that it not only reduced appetite but it also reduces thirst, and this is not the best thing for some some people, but like as mentioned above most supplements fill their capsule with other stuff anyway.

Yeah, but then you get that rapid water weight loss. 8-10lbs in the first week. How you gonna hook'em for life if you don't get that early water weight loss to encourage them.

I believe that Pfizer had the original patent to P57, but gave up on it and sold it to Phytopharm. The evidence is pretty sketchy on the effectiveness so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

As a rule of thumb, late night infomercials and AM radio commercials generally have poor quality products, perhaps an exception being the Ove Glove (great dexterity when cooking). I'd imagine this trend continues for dietary supplements.

Desert-Burn.jpg

...wait a minute. #1 in the WORLD? From SOUTH AFRICA? MUST BUY NOW!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

When you say that pharmaceutical companies are developing that substance, that means not naturally? By a synthetic way? If it so, everything that is synthetic is to be double-checked (although no sufficient study to support this).

I've been using hoodia for a month and does really great to me. I recommend it to anyone.