Hope for the future: advice/chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackalo34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided I'd post my situation in the Under 3.0 club as my GPA is currently under 3.0 =D Gl to all!

Wondering what some may think of my current plans to increase my chances of dental school as I've been following the forums for some time and have found some useful, realistic advice.

oGPA-2.65
sGPA-2.5
EC-tutoring, public readings, reserve, and school committees
shadowing-doing so currently and will continue

Senior-staying for extra semester or year so 1.5-2 years left
If straights As for remainder (taking more science than anything)
oGPA-3.15-3.25
sGPA-3.29-3.4

Problem grades
Phys II-F then B
Genetics-C
Ochem I-C+
2 Cs and 2 Ds in nonscience classes

I've had a roller-coaster like few years in undergrad-getting 3.5 some terms then as low as 1.7 other terms. Since then, I've done some soul searching and realized that I was lost because I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do with myself. (And its disappointing when you see sooo many others that know exactly what they want to do) It's been a discovery of myself at, probably, the worst time possible, but since realizing what I really want to do, I've been looking into it day and night this past summer.

Current plans-
I calculated what my GPA would be if I continued for the next couple years obtaining all As, but I am realistic and know I would need more to prove that I've changed. Taking that into account, I plan to apply to a SMP or postbac or take more science classes at a state school to increase my chances for the 2013-2014 year. I also plan to take the DAT spring 2013 and use the scores to apply to dental schools the summer of 2013, keeping in mind that the GAP year will be for extra classes.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if you can show a significant improvement, it will look favorable. I have a couple of problem grades too, so no worries. Is there anyway you can repeat Physics II?

Keeps your hopes up! I was in a similar boat a few years ago. I really pulled myself together my last year and then did well on the DAT after graduation. Good luck to you. :)

I think if you can show a significant improvement, it will look favorable. I have a couple of problem grades too, so no worries. Is there anyway you can repeat Physics II?

Keeps your hopes up! I was in a similar boat a few years ago. I really pulled myself together my last year and then did well on the DAT after graduation. Good luck to you. :)

Ah, yes I did retake phys II and got a B...again, it's one of those classes that I enjoy very little, so it's really hard to put in 100% effort. I'm hoping the next year and a half will show improvement and decrease the importance of my earlier grades.

I actually shadowed a dentist earlier today and found it very informative as well as eye-opening. I'm really looking forward to the future. Good luck to you as well! Let me know how things go.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can swing the last 2 years of undergrad with straight 4.0 (or all A's basically) you will get into dental school(s)..... period. Thats a big upward trend, and it will not go unnoticed.

Usually, many adcoms show great deal of appreciation of students with strong upward trends. Lets get one thing straight, you'll never be more competitive than your typical 3.7 GPA applicant, but you will be competitive nonetheless.

If you can swing the last 2 years of undergrad with straight 4.0 (or all A's basically) you will get into dental school(s)..... period. Thats a big upward trend, and it will not go unnoticed.

Usually, many adcoms show great deal of appreciation of students with strong upward trends. Lets get one thing straight, you'll never be more competitive than your typical 3.7 GPA applicant, but you will be competitive nonetheless.

Yeah, I'll never be up to the 3.7, but its good to know that the upward trend will most definitely be a positive. Looking forward, not back and putting all those bad grades behind me. One thing I also noticed is that my BCP GPA will be higher than my sGPA if all goes as planned and I'd like to think that it's good.

Thanks for the honesty! Sugar coating is not helpful.:thumbdown:

Rollercoaster pattern grades = no good.
Straight upward trend grades = good.

Get those As and you have to give yourself leeway. It's possible to try your darn hardest and still end up with a B or B+ in upper division sci classes. NEVER assume you're going to get all A's as predicted. By graduation, your grades are still barely passing min requirement for dental school. Very sorry for saying this but tis true.

So now, you do the following - study DAT 8 hrs a day for 3 months. Take it, don't get anything less than 18 on ANY section. Hopefully 20s across board.

1) Take post-bac: 4 sci classes in Fall, 4 sci classes in Spring. Apply in June

Meanwhile during the Fall semester, apply to SMPs as well, as backup.

2) Start SMPs after applied in June. Congrats if you do get in while doing SMP. If not, you're an EVEN stronger applicant the following June by having a MS degree. Get 3.8+ or bust! *cracks whip*

Then apply again to 15+ schools. If you do everything I say, I see no reason why you aren't getting in anywhere. Given you have

a) solid volunteer/shadowing hours and extracurriculars. A few quality and lots of hours. Not a bunch of 1 hour events.
b) solid letters
c) solid DAT scores of 19 and 20s.

Rollercoaster pattern grades = no good.
Straight upward trend grades = good.

Get those As and you have to give yourself leeway. It's possible to try your darn hardest and still end up with a B or B+ in upper division sci classes. NEVER assume you're going to get all A's as predicted. By graduation, your grades are still barely passing min requirement for dental school. Very sorry for saying this but tis true.

So now, you do the following - study DAT 8 hrs a day for 3 months. Take it, don't get anything less than 18 on ANY section. Hopefully 20s across board.

1) Take post-bac: 4 sci classes in Fall, 4 sci classes in Spring. Apply in June

Meanwhile during the Fall semester, apply to SMPs as well, as backup.

2) Start SMPs after applied in June. Congrats if you do get in while doing SMP. If not, you're an EVEN stronger applicant the following June by having a MS degree. Get 3.8+ or bust! *cracks whip*

Then apply again to 15+ schools. If you do everything I say, I see no reason why you aren't getting in anywhere. Given you have

a) solid volunteer/shadowing hours and extracurriculars. A few quality and lots of hours. Not a bunch of 1 hour events.
b) solid letters
c) solid DAT scores of 19 and 20s.

Yea....I'm gonna work really hard and try for A's, but undergrad here is extremely competitive. It'd be a far reach for all A's but we shall see. So what your suggesting is along the lines of what I was thinking, but a post bacc before an SMP in case I don't get any acceptances the first time around. That makes perfect sense...wouldn't wanna redo undergrad classes after obtaining a masters unless career changing. I'll keep updated-if I do get lucky this year, I'll consider applying to SMPs instead, but again....I've got a long road ahead and gonna take one step at a time, but always looking ahead.

Thanks for your advice-the extra 2-3 years after graduation would give me time to really maximize my chance of entry.

Perseverance will conquer all. Write yourself something motivational to keep going. It's easy to lag behind and screw things here and there up. Every class and every A counts, so make it count!