Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the many years that I have been on SDN, I have seen several threads that give pointers and plans for getting an MCAT score in the 30's. If this is your plan, this thread is not for you. This thread is for those of us that have taken it before and have not been able to get a score that is acceptable for a chance at med school. It's for the pre-meds that just want to get a score that will get their foot in the door and at least get them some interviews. I have been getting tons of messages this past year, and I think I have finally made a decent pep talk for people who need hope and want some guidance in overcoming their poor MCAT score. Hopefully my story and mistakes will help and motivate you. :D

The MCAT is one of the hardest things I have ever had to overcome. It was not easy, there are no quick fixes. My biggest problem was not knowing the material well enough, and it actually took me a very long time to realize that I didn't really know it as well as I thought I did. I was in the midst of getting my Masters degree when I realized that I knew biology very well, but wasn't applying it the correct way to do well on the MCAT. Plus being years out from taking chemistry and physics, I had forgotten all of the basic rules of the subject that are heavily needed (although not really directly tested) for the MCAT.

Although looking at my first 3 MCAT scores (16, 19, 17) it would look like I didn't really study for the test, I was actually studying a lot. However, I wasn't studying correctly. I wasn't organized in my studying, I just kept going through things very superficially. You need to focus on only the MCAT, you can't be taking classes and thinking that you can do it all. Sometimes just focusing on one thing is way more powerful than you would think. I graduated, took a semester off from everything and just studied each day as if it was my full time job. I'm talking like 8-12 hours a day, even on Saturday and Sunday. I know that most people don't have that type of focus for such a long period of time, but when you get to med school you will be studying this way, and when I was in grad school I had to do the same thing or I would have flunked out. So I was already used to it. But also, thinking that this is your last chance to get into med school is something that fueled me a lot. And this may very well be your last chance to prove yourself... Do everything that you can, if you don't you will regret it.

The thing about people that score in the teens to very low 20s is that none of them are stupid, they just don't get how to study for this test. It's a crazy thing to ask someone to learn 8 semesters worth of material and retain it, but then they don't even ask them direct questions about it! I used to study with only MCAT prep books, but I never made it past the 20 mark on practice tests. The key to beating this test for me was to relearn the material from scratch. I know, it sounds like a very hard thing to do, and it takes time, but if you are making low scores, there is NO way you will beat this test if you don't.

Many people that took undergrad really learned the information, they have those tiny bits of gold from each subject burned into their mind. In my personal experience, I have found that the MCAT tests your knowledge of concepts, but without the foundation of information for each subject you can't do well on this test. When I took a Kaplan prep course I remember this girl that was making 30+ on all of her practice tests. Every time we would go to class and go over the questions on the practice MCAT that we had problems with, she would always say something like "well of course it's this answer, because blah blah." And I would ask, "well how do you know that??" She knew it because it was a small piece of background information she learned in her chem I or phys I course that I never retained. The rules of the subject need to be learned, and these rules are not in the MCAT prep books.

So where do you start then? You need to first make a list of all of the sections of physics, chemistry, biology and organic. I used the EK and TPR book chapters as my guide. For instance, Physics and Chemistry each have 10 tested subjects. Biology has like 13 if I remember correctly. Then you need to learn each of these sections in a real text book. Even if your MCAT book says it's not on the test, you need to have this background information to actually attempt the tested information. It's not easy teaching yourself all of this material, but you need to read it, and most importantly understand and retain it. Learn the subjects like you are taking a class, then go to the MCAT books and expand your knowledge, then do practice tests. Don't do practice tests until you learn the background information because that will just be too frustrating. You need to know this background information as if you will be teaching a class to a bunch of students that don't own a book!

Most importantly, don't let this test make you think that you are stupid. You are smart, and you need to be a studying machine in order to beat this test. Focus only on the MCAT for about 5 months before taking it. Don't make the mistake I did by taking it hastily so that I could just apply. As you know, a bad score will HAUNT you. Most people do not make over their average practice scores on the real thing. So don't think that maybe if you take it without much studying, you may get a 25 if your practice scores are a 19... It's not going to happen. If you want this bad enough you will do what it takes to get there. If it means you put your life on hold for 6 months, then that's what you have to do. If you don't then you will never be a doctor. Once you realize that, the motivation that comes with it is endless.

I actually never planned on taking the MCAT 5 times. I was set on taking it for the fourth time after I studied very hard for it. I know that I would have made the 27 on my fourth MCAT, but my computer froze and AAMC would not acknowledge that this hindered my score. Well, it did, and the timer was running while my computer was frozen so I lost a lot of time. Although they agreed that this happened, they said that they could not prove that my timer was running for very long. Regardless, they had to get me a new computer because my computer would not work even after the proctor tried to fix it. I ended up with a crappy 22.

The fifth time I took the MCAT I was more than burned out because I never wanted to take it this many times. Also, by then I had been studying for 8 months straight!!! The month before my final MCAT, I lost all focus and started slacking on my studies for a few weeks. I had also started working since I had already received a job because I thought I would not be taking the MCAT again. For me, my pivotal moment came a few weeks before the exam... My boss, a surgeon in the medical school I work at, took me to a 4th year surgery exam on a cadaver with some med students. While I was there, he mentioned to everyone that I was pre med, and then the barrage of advice started coming from the med students... Well, soon after this, one of the students said something about taking the MCAT back when it was the last test on paper, and he had applied in 2006 and got into medical school. I realized that these students were the exact same age as me! I had also taken the last MCAT on paper and applied in 2006... It was the worst realization in my life. I had realized that I had wasted years off of my life by not beating this test once and for all. I would have been a graduating medical student last year. But because of my MCAT score, because I wasn't living up to my true potential, I had given this opportunity away. From that day forward, I worked from 6am-2pm, left for the library and studied until 11pm. I finally had the drive to finish what I started, and I got the score I wanted, a 27!

YOU have to sit down and realize that without this score, you are giving up your seat in medical school, and ultimately years of your life. Just tell yourself that you need to do this, you have to do this, and you will do this the right way.

You need to take a lot of time and become confident in the material, and study it deeply. Do not retake the MCAT until you are absolutely ready, until you have made at least consistently high 20's MCAT scores in practice. If you can't apply this year, that is ok. Taking your time and not rushing into taking the MCAT will make a huge difference in your score. Take this year off and fix your MCAT, then apply next year. I know that is not what you want to hear, but I truly feel that making another poor score will not be beneficial to you.

My many poor MCAT scores have hindered my ability to get interviews greatly. And even though I now have an ok score, I am sure that my past scores are still being looked at and they make a big difference in what the adcoms think of me. Sure, I pulled up my score 10 points from the time I took it 2 years ago, but it doesn't matter. I still made those bad scores, and even though they are now very old, they show my past poor ability and poor judgment of retaking when I wasn't ready. It makes me a risk for any medical school I apply to.

If this is really what you want to do, you CAN do it. You just have to make a plan and stick with it. I don't have a backup plan at all, in fact I never did have one. Even with 3 below 20 MCAT scores and two failed application cycles with no interviews, I always told myself that this was what I was meant to do. You either want to be a doctor or you don't. If you really want to, then do it. Only you are standing in your way of getting into medical school.

MCAT courses are useless. You need to do some heavy self studying, but use a textbook like I said before, and then go on to the MCAT prep. If even a small part of you feels that you will regret not going full force towards medical school and becoming a physician, then you need to stop being your own worst enemy and just bite the bullet and do the hard work that is needed to do well on this test. If you are willing to do anything to get into med school... Well, first start with admitting that you need to start at the most basic level of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I mean, I had a masters degree in immunology, and going back to undergrad level studies was really difficult for me. But I want to be a doctor, so I was willing to do whatever it took, and I knew that even though I have a higher education than most people studying for the MCAT, I sucked at the material that was tested. Just start at the beginning and move slowly towards your goal. Don't leave any subject untouched. Push yourself and become a studying maniac. If I can do it, I am confident that you can do it! :)

So yes, there is no quick way to increase your score. Its hard work, but again, if you want this you will do whatever you have to. You have the strength to beat this test and show everyone what you're made of. There needs to be at least 7-10 hours of studying a day, 5-6 days a week for 5-6 months. People in our position are more behind than everyone else taking the test, you have to catch up to the basic material and then study for the MCAT. I know it sounds like a ton of studying, but if you want to beat this test to a pulp that will be what it takes.

So stop crying about your scores, and start your long term plan in beating this test. Turn that sadness into anger, anger towards yourself, anger towards the MCAT, anger towards anything that will give you some dedication and motivation to study.

Good luck!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Noshie,
Your posts have made me realize that I should not give up on becoming an MD or to settle for a position I do not want (PA) because it is the easy way out(for me). It seems to be a lot of critics out there, but you are the result. As soon as I return from Afghanistan it's back to the books, hard. THANKS MOTIVATOR!!

Noshie,
Your posts have made me realize that I should not give up on becoming an MD or to settle for a position I do not want (PA) because it is the easy way out(for me). It seems to be a lot of critics out there, but you are the result. As soon as I return from Afghanistan it's back to the books, hard. THANKS MOTIVATOR!!

Thank you! The whole point of this thread was to motivate pre-meds that feel like giving up... I am glad it helped light a fire in you. :) Good luck in Afghanistan, and thank you for all that you do to keep us safe. :xf: I’m hoping that you will never give up on your dream and will just keep moving forward until you reach it! I know you can!

I would like to add to this thread, if you don't mind.

I took the MCAT 10 years ago and scored a 21. I got a 4 in one section. I did interview during that application cycle (1 interview) and I was waitlisted, but ultimately not accepted. I cut my losses and moved on into a career in research.

I decided to try my luck again (couldn't let the dream go :) and this time I took a TPR course. I have commented quite a bit on this course and I personally found it to be invaluable. When we started the bio lecture, I felt as if I was in a foreign language course because I couldn't recall learning any of that stuff! In fact, I scored a 17 on the diagnostic exam. It had also been >13 years since I'd taken the prerequisites.

I started off in the course keeping up with the homework, then I slacked off a bit, then I buckled down for the last 4 weeks before my exam. By the time I took the exam, I had broken a 30 on the practice exams. I ended up with a 31Q on the official test.

I do think it's possible for you to get a great score, but the key for me was honesty, confidence, prayer and organization. Even though I scored low in the early diagnostic, I kept telling myself that I would break a 30 and I prayed to reinforce that belief. I told myself over and over "its just a freakin test" until I believed it. I didn't let the exam intimidate me. I really feel that if you are tense and feel that you will not perform well on the test, you probably won't. You have to find a way to relax- prayer, meditation, whatever works. Well, stay away from drugs :-D

I also had to be honest with myself about my preparation. I did not prepare well the first time, even though I felt like I had. I talked to the instructors often (all of them had scores >30, its required to teach the course) and asked for tips when I felt stuck. I had very organized notes, I did a ton of practice questions, I memorized the stuff that needed to be memorized (hormones, organic rxns), blah, blah, blah.

While taking the test, I kept good track of the time, but I didn't agonize. I did nearly run out of time on one section because I zoned out on a question, and I had to guess the answers on one whole passage, but I still got a good score in that section. So always finish the exam.

To val (I think) I do think that it wouldn't hurt for you to take a year off to get a better handle on your study skills because you'll face the same problems in med school. Most schools only give you about 6 weeks to study for Step I so you'll be facing this issue again. Maybe find out if you have an undiagnosed learning disability, ADD or something that is keeping you from scoring better on the exam. I think that if you can at least get a 24, your chances of acceptance will increase a great deal!

To be sure, there are some schools that will accept you with your current score, but it really depends on the rest of your application. I personally know students with MCAT scores in the teens who are currently matriculating in med school, but they have an application that is otherwise amazing and matches the mission of that particular school. For example, Howard is known for accepting students with lower scores BUT those are students who generally have 100s of hours volunteering in underserved areas and higher than average GPAs. If it is your goal to practice in underserved communities and your ECs reflect that, I would contact the admissions office and ask if you should apply. Otherwise, just wait it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW thank you for sharing your story!!! That's soo great!!!! Soo honest and real!!! It makes a huge difference sharing!! I'm studying for the mcat now.....I want to take in June, but it's too soon, so I'm going to push it for July or even August. I've been studying for almost a month now 3-4hrs a day, but it's hard having a full time job, but I need to stick to a plan like you said. I've tired, but I need to try harder and I know that's what is going to make the difference. Thank you soo much for sharing!!!

Anyone that scores in the teens or low 20s after multiple tries and says they're a genius might slightly be ill informed.

Anyone that scores in the teens or low 20s after multiple tries and says they're a genius might slightly be ill informed.

Being smart and doing well on an exam are two different things... You can be a genius in something and then take an exam in another subject and fail. It’s all about planning your studies and retaining certain information that is needed to take an exam. It has nothing to do with being a genius, and more to do with being determined and persistent in your studies.

Being smart and doing well on an exam are two different things... You can be a genius in something and then take an exam in another subject and fail. It’s all about planning your studies and retaining certain information that is needed to take an exam. It has nothing to do with being a genius, and more to do with being determined and persistent in your studies.

You were hardworking and dedicated and you kept at it. In my previous martial arts training, my teacher called that perseverance. It is a matter of never accepting defeat, moving slowly, but unrelentlessly toward your goal. I got nothing more to say to you other than two thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

noshie is right. I just want to say that the most important thing when it comes to studying for the mcat is STUDYING for the mcat. Don't do research, don't work, don't take classes, don't have a part-time job while attempting to study for the mcat at the same time...don't distract yourself. This is very important advice. I know the urge to take on a research opportunity, or to volunteer, or work and have some money, etc etc etc seems important, but it is NOT as important as the mcat. Take one summer off and do nothing but mcat. You won't regret it. You don't have to be a genius to score high on the mcat, you just need to work at it every day, and be extremely motivated. Save the partying, working, volunteering, research, AFTER you score high on this test.

Again. Make mcat your number one priority, the rest will follow.

I would like to know noshie's (or anybody else who initially had a low MCAT) handling of the MS-1 curriculum thus far. Is it easy, average, or hard for you?

Some people don't do well on standardized tests for some reason. I read of a Nobel Laureate in Medicine/Physiology that couldn't hack the GRE. She got awesome grades in college but terrible GRE scores. Her name is Carol Greider, Ph.D. She's dyslexic though. Doing important research is VERY HARD, and winning a Nobel is even harder. I have no doubt in my mind that she's very smart.

http://dyslexia.yale.edu/greider.html

If you are having a hard time with the MCAT (<20), ensure you do not have a learning disability although it's unlikely that a learning disability is the problem. Also, you must know the background knowledge really well and ALSO develop a life of critical thinking and logical reasoning. My BS section could've been done with minimal background knowledge as 90% of the whole thing was like verbal reasoning and figuring out stuff from the passages and described experiments. Hoping I did well :xf:

Good luck folks. Continue to work hard.

Some people just don't test well. I know a girl who was extremely smart. She's, literally, heads and shoulders above everyone I know but she couldn't score more than a 28 on the MCAT. However, at school, she double majored, took 21+ credit hours a semester, did enough research to publish a first-author paper in Immunity & Infection and volunteered at St. Francis Hospital about 15 hours a week.

For some reason, she just couldn't get her nerves down for the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to know noshie's (or anybody else who initially had a low MCAT) handling of the MS-1 curriculum thus far. Is it easy, average, or hard for you?

I would like to know this as well...Is there anyone that struggled with the MCAT but eventually made it into med school that is willing to comment?

I'm a non-trad applicant. I'm 33, work full time, taking 18 hrs this semester including my pre-reqs, and I have a spouse and child. I just took the MCAT (don't have scores yet) and I know I didn't do well. Anyone who hasn't taken your first test or you're doing a re-take, my advice echoes some of the earlier posts....if you haven't scored well on the AAMC practice tests, you won't experience a miraculous intervention on the real thing. If you haven't taken the actual college level pre-reqs, then studying all the prep books, including ExamKrackers, won't really give you the knowledge you need. I rushed into this application cycle without taking my pre-reqs first. I'm a good test taker, always performed well in school, and I pick up on science topics quickly. I really thought I could nail this MCAT material down in 3 months without a college foundation first. I ignored advice from others who said "Take the pre-reqs first!". I said "I don't have another year of my life to wait while I take more classes. I'm getting too old for this and I need to apply this year!" But after weeks & weeks of studying for 6-10 hrs a day, I kept scoring an avg 20-21 on my practice FL's. I took every test offered by AAMC which cost a pretty penny, and never saw an improvement by more than 2 or 3 points.
So this semester I'm taking Physics and Chemistry 1 and I'm realizing all the information I needed but wasn't getting from the prep stuff. I had no idea how much more I needed to learn. But I'm planning on taking a re-take in January so I can finish my apps & still get accepted for osteo schools in 2012. By then I'll have finished Physics, Chem & Bio I and I already feel more confident that my score will be much higher. In just 4 weeks of this semester I've learned basic principles that I was missing during those months of prep work.
If you're like me, you can't always follow everyone's advice about "don't work, don't take classes, don't do anything but study MCAT all day, everyday". I have bills to pay, a family to help support, and a career in healthcare. I can't quit my job or lighten my course load or I won't finish my pre-reqs in time. But I do suggest if you follow any advice, it's this....don't think you'll learn all you need to know for the MCAT by studying the prep material alone. I spent hundreds of $$ thinking I could learn this stuff on my own. I wasted valuable time and now I'm facing a re-take and a good explanation to the admissions committee as to why I took something so important when I wasn't ready. Good luck!

Thank you for the first post. I made a 20 (7/9/4) on my latest MCat test and was making 25s on the AAMCs.....

I want to take the test in January and am not sure if I should take the openers advice or BerkeleyReviewTech..... Don't know if I should invest in a Bio, Phys, OChem and Gen chem textbooks or what.....

What a negative forum. It began inspiring and then stupid premeds who have no idea what it takes to get into med school begin to comment and the entire forum's tune changed. Please, anyone feeling down because of the mcat, dont take advice from ******ed premeds. Its the blind leading the blind. comments like "i dont know how someone with >3.7 gpa cant get above 20" angers me to the core. this is why people hate the premed world, for the ignorance and pride some of them show. Yes, SDN is a great resource, but we must let the advice come from those who have been accepted into med school, not fellow dreamers who for the most part, are too filled with ignorance to give any rational thoughts about getting into medicine.

This is merely a suggestion.

Wow, I should check this more often! Haha.

Well, there has been some great discussion and awesome success stories here!

So far, I am in my third month of medical school. I have finished out a few classes and did fairly well. My first course was Cell Science, and it was crazy hard because there were only two tests (within 5 weeks) and one was on cell biology and the other on biochemistry (like ALL of biochemistry in one exam!). Apparently it's the hardest class. I got a 79&#8230; Which I am totally happy with... :)

Right now I am in Anatomy. I have a B average after the first exam. I do feel like I struggle with the multiple choice format a lot. I know the material cold, but when it comes to the exam, it's hard to relay everything that I know into a question that has answers listed that are written in a way that doesn't make direct sense to me. I study a lot. More than my many of my peers that make better grades than me. I'm talking 5+ hours on a week day (we have pretty much 8am-5pm classes every day) and about 12+ on the weekends. I am learning to study more efficiently because I think I was having problems understanding what was important out of all of the information they throw at me every day. I have a friend that studies a few hours a day, sometimes she doesn't study at all, she is also a non-traditional student so she is way out from undergrad classes. She continuously makes way higher grades than me (like she will make 90+ on every exam and I'll make a low B). We both attend class daily&#8230; But I can see what her little habits are that I don't have. She definitely studies more efficiently than I ever can. And part of it is the multiple choice format being ideal for her. Whereas I am way way better at the essay format (sucks to be me because I will never have the chance at this in med school haha). I am starting to treat the multiple choice format as an essay format though (answer the question fully without even glancing at the answers), and so far it's helping a ton.

Overall, the MCAT is NOT a representation of how well you will do in med school, I am sure of that. But it is a hoop that you have to jump through. And I would view it as a "how bad do you want it" test. If you want this path bad enough, you will do what it takes to do well and get accepted.

I'm a non-trad applicant. I'm 33, work full time, taking 18 hrs this semester including my pre-reqs, and I have a spouse and child. I just took the MCAT (don't have scores yet) and I know I didn't do well. Anyone who hasn't taken your first test or you're doing a re-take, my advice echoes some of the earlier posts....if you haven't scored well on the AAMC practice tests, you won't experience a miraculous intervention on the real thing. If you haven't taken the actual college level pre-reqs, then studying all the prep books, including ExamKrackers, won't really give you the knowledge you need. I rushed into this application cycle without taking my pre-reqs first. I'm a good test taker, always performed well in school, and I pick up on science topics quickly. I really thought I could nail this MCAT material down in 3 months without a college foundation first. I ignored advice from others who said "Take the pre-reqs first!". I said "I don't have another year of my life to wait while I take more classes. I'm getting too old for this and I need to apply this year!" But after weeks & weeks of studying for 6-10 hrs a day, I kept scoring an avg 20-21 on my practice FL's. I took every test offered by AAMC which cost a pretty penny, and never saw an improvement by more than 2 or 3 points.
So this semester I'm taking Physics and Chemistry 1 and I'm realizing all the information I needed but wasn't getting from the prep stuff. I had no idea how much more I needed to learn. But I'm planning on taking a re-take in January so I can finish my apps & still get accepted for osteo schools in 2012. By then I'll have finished Physics, Chem & Bio I and I already feel more confident that my score will be much higher. In just 4 weeks of this semester I've learned basic principles that I was missing during those months of prep work.
If you're like me, you can't always follow everyone's advice about "don't work, don't take classes, don't do anything but study MCAT all day, everyday". I have bills to pay, a family to help support, and a career in healthcare. I can't quit my job or lighten my course load or I won't finish my pre-reqs in time. But I do suggest if you follow any advice, it's this....don't think you'll learn all you need to know for the MCAT by studying the prep material alone. I spent hundreds of $$ thinking I could learn this stuff on my own. I wasted valuable time and now I'm facing a re-take and a good explanation to the admissions committee as to why I took something so important when I wasn't ready. Good luck!

I cannot stress this point enough! Most of what you need to know for the MCAT is not in the MCAT prep books!!! You can get it from your classes as background information, but if you didn't do well in those courses, you need to restudy it from a textbook. Period. There is no way around this folks!

Thank you for the first post. I made a 20 (7/9/4) on my latest MCat test and was making 25s on the AAMCs.....

I want to take the test in January and am not sure if I should take the openers advice or BerkeleyReviewTech..... Don't know if I should invest in a Bio, Phys, OChem and Gen chem textbooks or what.....

Relearn the material, and take more time than you are planning on taking (taking in January is just too soon if you made a 20 on your first MCAT). You need to be confident in your answers on the MCAT, and you can't do that unless you know the information fully on each section&#8230;

You will kick yourself and waste a ton of money on that prep course if you don't do well on the next MCAT. And from my experience, I can tell you that I am sure you won't do well unless you invest in learning the background information before studying for the MCAT (like I said before, if you don't have it from your undergrad classes, you have to get it somewhere). Go to a used bookstore and buy some textbooks. It's really not as expensive as you think when you buy older editions. Or if you still have your undergrad books from these classes, that is ideal.

What a negative forum. It began inspiring and then stupid premeds who have no idea what it takes to get into med school begin to comment and the entire forum's tune changed. Please, anyone feeling down because of the mcat, dont take advice from ******ed premeds. Its the blind leading the blind. comments like "i dont know how someone with >3.7 gpa cant get above 20" angers me to the core. this is why people hate the premed world, for the ignorance and pride some of them show. Yes, SDN is a great resource, but we must let the advice come from those who have been accepted into med school, not fellow dreamers who for the most part, are too filled with ignorance to give any rational thoughts about getting into medicine.

You're totally correct. This forum is overly negative and full of bad advice sometimes. But it is a great resource most of the time when you tease out the BS&#8230; :laugh: And when I was doing poorly on my MCATs, it was the people that told me that I was "too dumb" to get into med school (check out the really old comments on my MDApps just to see how ignorant people can be) that made me try harder and become the best I could be&#8230; In the end, I'm there. And I am grateful to those people for being so hard on me and allowing me to make it and prove them wrong. :D

Originally Posted by ET5412
I am in need of a brutally honest (no sugarcoating) feedback:help:

8/23/2012 MCAT = 16M (My sister's words when we logged onto MCAT Thx (She was there for moral support): God be with you. With a score like that, you are not medical school material. Not even the Caribbean schools will take you)

PS: 5
VS: 5
WS: M
BS: 6

I made the foolish decision to take the MCAT after taking a Kaplan prep course from May - June, and self studying from July to August :bang:. I should've listened to the warnings of my pre-health advisor and a fellow classmate "This mistake will haunt you in your application year, Bad, bad idea. For your own good, don't do it":nono:. Looking at the scores of my practice test and the result of the real thing, I wish I can go back in time and slap sense into myself a month ago and yell " WTF ARE YOU THINKING? CANCEL/RESCHEDULE YOUR TEST. IF ITS TOO LATE TO DO THAT, THEN VOID":slap:. Unfortunately, this is reality and fantasy is nonexistent (Not always true in some cases). I definitely plan to retake this exam next year. This time around, I will focus strongly on content review before even thinking of taking practice tests while studying on my own.

I also have another dilemma. I am a recent college graduate with a low cGPA and sGPA (3.062, 2.852). I've decided to apply to post-bacc/SMP programs for the fall of 2013. These are the schools I have in mind.

Eastern Virginia Medical School MS in Biological Sciences
Georgetown SMP
New york Medical College Accelerated Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program

Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Graduate School, Master Biological Sciences

Temple University Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program

Mount Sinai SOM MS Biological Sciences
Drexel IMS, MSP, Pathway to Medical School Program

VCU Graduate Pre-medical Certificate Program

Most of the deadlines are between the months of April-July, but I plan to apply early. My MCAT score + GPA ensures I have no shot of a masters or medical school as of right now.

Does it make sense for me to retake the MCAT in April or May (6-8 month study schedule) while applying for masters at the same time? I'm thinking of informing the admissions office of the following schools above, but I'm afraid of being screened out automatically before the application process even starts (I heard that applicants with MCAT scores of less than 27 are automatically screened out:scared:).

Also, does it make sense to (A) either apply for medical school (MD/DO) after I complete the SMP (If I get into one) for 2015 matriculation? Or (B) go ahead and plan to apply for 2014 matriculation (I'm rooting for A seeing my situation, because now is the time to be brutally honest with myself and learn from my mistakes in order for my setback to become a comeback :thumbdown: ----> :thumbup:).

I'm usually not this straight forward but when you have 2.8 sGPA and a 16 on the MCAT it's probably time to find a new profession maybe Podiatry or PA school?
No SMP program, no decent post-bacc program will accept you let alone medical schools.

Originally Posted by ET5412
I am in need of a brutally honest (no sugarcoating) feedback:help:

8/23/2012 MCAT = 16M (My sister's words when we logged onto MCAT Thx (She was there for moral support): God be with you. With a score like that, you are not medical school material. Not even the Caribbean schools will take you)

PS: 5
VS: 5
WS: M
BS: 6

I made the foolish decision to take the MCAT after taking a Kaplan prep course from May - June, and self studying from July to August :bang:. I should've listened to the warnings of my pre-health advisor and a fellow classmate "This mistake will haunt you in your application year, Bad, bad idea. For your own good, don't do it":nono:. Looking at the scores of my practice test and the result of the real thing, I wish I can go back in time and slap sense into myself a month ago and yell " WTF ARE YOU THINKING? CANCEL/RESCHEDULE YOUR TEST. IF ITS TOO LATE TO DO THAT, THEN VOID":slap:. Unfortunately, this is reality and fantasy is nonexistent (Not always true in some cases). I definitely plan to retake this exam next year. This time around, I will focus strongly on content review before even thinking of taking practice tests while studying on my own.

I also have another dilemma. I am a recent college graduate with a low cGPA and sGPA (3.062, 2.852). I've decided to apply to post-bacc/SMP programs for the fall of 2013. These are the schools I have in mind.

Eastern Virginia Medical School MS in Biological Sciences
Georgetown SMP
New york Medical College Accelerated Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program

Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Graduate School, Master Biological Sciences

Temple University Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program

Mount Sinai SOM MS Biological Sciences
Drexel IMS, MSP, Pathway to Medical School Program

VCU Graduate Pre-medical Certificate Program

Most of the deadlines are between the months of April-July, but I plan to apply early. My MCAT score + GPA ensures I have no shot of a masters or medical school as of right now.

Does it make sense for me to retake the MCAT in April or May (6-8 month study schedule) while applying for masters at the same time? I'm thinking of informing the admissions office of the following schools above, but I'm afraid of being screened out automatically before the application process even starts (I heard that applicants with MCAT scores of less than 27 are automatically screened out:scared:).

Also, does it make sense to (A) either apply for medical school (MD/DO) after I complete the SMP (If I get into one) for 2015 matriculation? Or (B) go ahead and plan to apply for 2014 matriculation (I'm rooting for A seeing my situation, because now is the time to be brutally honest with myself and learn from my mistakes in order for my setback to become a comeback :thumbdown: ----> :thumbup:).

Ive learned that you must take your time and take the test when you feel completely confident and ready. I remember taking the Kaplan course and taking the exam a few weeks after and I did not do too well. Mainly because I was cramming but I was not ready at all. I wish I listened to the advice of waiting until you are fully ready because medical school is not going any where and you want to make sure you present your best foot forward. Although your GPA is borderline low, I think it would be best to try to bring that GPA up. Doing the post bac will help you with that. They can also help you with studying for the MCAT to increase your score. You should choose a program who will help you with both. I think you have a shot if you focus and try harder. Not many people get it right the first time but that does not mean you dont have what it takes. Plus i hear that post bac is grad level course work so medical schools can see that you can handle a heavy course load. I think you should hold off on taking the exam in April of 2013 and increase your GPA and MCAT score so you can be a strong candidate. You want to make sure you get that interview! Well Best Wishes!:luck::)

Do you know of any post bacc programs that offer graduate level courses? I just graduated from college 4 months ago. So are you saying that I should apply to post bacc programs instead of smps?

I'm usually not this straight forward but when you have 2.8 sGPA and a 16 on the MCAT it's probably time to find a new profession maybe Podiatry or PA school?
No SMP program, no decent post-bacc program will accept you let alone medical schools.

Not sure if the 16 and 2.8 will get you into pod either.....

Do some research before stating this. PA schools have cut throat competition with some matriculating classes having a 3.5 average. Podiatry school have a slightly lower GPA average but nothing to joke about.

Do you know of any post bacc programs that offer graduate level courses? I just graduated from college 4 months ago. So are you saying that I should apply to post bacc programs instead of smps?

Either one would be good. I would say post bac is ur best bet but just try to bring your GPA up and MCAT score high

Last edited:
If you are wanting to do podiatry get your sGPA over a 3.0 and your MCAT over a 20 and you should have some kind of shot. I think PA is tougher because there seems to be more competition (higher gpa and lots of clinical hrs).

Good luck :luck:

BUMP! :D

This is my favorite thread on SDN! I think it should be a sticky. I would love to have the OP be my doctor rather than the average pre-medical sdnner--and this is an understatement.

Would like to see more convo

Last edited:

This is my favorite thread on SDN! I think it should be a sticky. I would love to have the OP be my doctor rather than the average pre-medical sdnner--and this is an understatement.

I agree. I would rather have her as a doc anyday. It's sad to see this extraordinary woman argue with the average SDN gunner/virgin. I'm not applying this year because I got a 19J this year after getting a 24k last year. I was studying wrong and will do anything I need to do to get a 27-30 plus on the MCAT. If things go well I'll be starting med school around 26 years old:(, I feel old sometimes. But Noshie you truly are an inspiration, I have this thread saved in my favorites just to look it up for motivation. :)

Well… You are correct, it is NOT possible to get in with ONLY a 2.8 GPA and a 16 MCAT to your name… BUT it is extremely possible to overcome that and get in! Haha. So, there is no need to find another profession if you are dedicated to becoming a doctor and you put in the time and effort to fix the things that are lacking and figure out a way to become somewhat above the average medical school applicant.

People were telling me to change my profession left and right. School advisors, professors, doctors I worked for and shadowed, family members, friends, everyone! If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to give up and try for another career field like nursing, pharmacy, podiatry, PA, etc… I would have a piggybank full of dollars that represented the people that are now eating their words because they didn’t realize the bigger picture and what someone can accomplish when they really want something. Just saying. ;)

Awww! You are too sweet! How can we make this a sticky?! They have one for people trying to make scores over 30! What about the rest of us that are normal and just want to succeed?? Hahaha.

I am currently in my second year at TCOM, I freaking love it! Every minute is like a dream come true. Even when I have tests all the time and feel overwhelmed, I am still so grateful. And I am in classes with gunners… Some of them are closet gunners, they just keep to themselves and no one asks them for anything. And some of them are outright gunners that won’t give you their notes if you were dying and it would save your life! But overall, I love my classmates. It is interesting to see, however, that some of the smartest people in my class sometimes lack some social skills and can’t think outside of what they read in our textbooks. I am sure you will all experience this from your classmates when you all start medical school!

I agree. I would rather have her as a doc anyday. It's sad to see this extraordinary woman argue with the average SDN gunner/virgin. I'm not applying this year because I got a 19J this year after getting a 24k last year. I was studying wrong and will do anything I need to do to get a 27-30 plus on the MCAT. If things go well I'll be starting med school around 26 years old:(, I feel old sometimes. But Noshie you truly are an inspiration, I have this thread saved in my favorites just to look it up for motivation. :)

I don’t mind the haters. :) They only serve to fuel the fire that allows me to keep moving forward. I hope they do this for you also.

I am sad to hear about your MCAT this year, but it is definitely not the end of the world! I am confident that you are going to make a goal, start over, and succeed. And you shouldn’t worry about your age! Haha. I just turned 30 last month! Trust me, I was very sad that this occured! But luckily I still look 23, or so people tell me. :p Age is just a number, the years pass no matter what you are doing! So why not be working towards doing something you love, right?

You guys have no idea how happy it makes me to come on SDN and see that people are still reading these threads from years ago and are still getting motivated by it. I wish you all the best. :luck: It is not easy to take a path that is so winding and difficult, but it is very rewarding in the end, and I wouldn't have taken any other path if I had been given the chance to start over right now. :rolleyes: I wouldn't even fathom it. The struggles I had made this journey even sweeter, and made me a stronger person. No regrets!

This thread is for those of us that have taken it before and have not been able to get a score that is acceptable for a chance at med school. It’s for the pre-meds that just want to get a score that will get their foot in the door and at least get them some interviews. Good luck!!! :luck:

Seems you've matriculated, so congratulations. However, considering the average MCAT score every year is ~25.1, it really shouldn't be a problem to get higher than the teens/low 20s.

why'd you take the mcat if you were not ready?

I thorough review through content review once should net 25+ score, from there it's just practice, nothing else to it really

The issue is that med school is full of 90%+. If you can't get above the 50% on the only standardized part of the application, you're likely going to be in trouble even if you do manage to sneak into medical school. The MCAT is a direct measure of your ability to prepare and perform. If you can't do both, how can you expect to survive med school?

I thorough review through content review once should net 25+ score, from there it's just practice, nothing else to it really

meh easier said than done, a lot of this test is mental/being able to have confidence reading passages in such a high pressure situation. Knowing content half the battle.

meh easier said than done, a lot of this test is mental/being able to have confidence reading passages in such a high pressure situation. Knowing content half the battle.

You don't think building confidence and the ability to handle MCAT-type passages is part of being prepared?

You don't think building confidence and the ability to handle MCAT-type passages is part of being prepared?

I never said that. I was saying that just because you may know the content doesn't mean you will do well on the exam, it's just the first part. The second part is application, which I think is the most difficult aspect of the exam.

Premeds like to build this test as something of an intelligence barometer, and it's not, put in the time/effort and you can do it. The trick really is recognizing how to learn the material and how to study efficiently.

I never said that. I was saying that just because you may know the content doesn't mean you will do well on the exam, it's just the first part. The second part is application, which I think is the most difficult aspect of the exam.

Premeds like to build this test as something of an intelligence barometer, and it's not, put in the time/effort and you can do it. The trick really is recognizing how to learn the material and how to study efficiently.

The guy you replied to (see above) never said you could do well just by knowing the content though. He said you could get a "25+" just by knowing content, but for a better score you need to put in the time. Thus implying the need for both wisdom (content mastery) and preparation (practice and being "ready").

However, if you think someone who gets a 25 did well, then I see what you're saying. I personally think a 25 is below average for anyone who has a chance at matriculating.

The guy you replied to (see above) never said you could do well just by knowing the content though. He said you could get a "25+" just by knowing content, but for a better score you need to put in the time.

Yeah I know, my point is that it's incorrect to assume that if you know the content you will get a 25+.

Yeah I know, my point is that it's incorrect to assume that if you know the content you will get a 25+.

Well we can agree to disagree. Most of the people I know got 21-24 on their Kaplan diagnostic that was taken in the Fall of Junior year before completing Physics.

When you actually have other things going on in your life... Such as being married and having to coordinate with someone else's life/career plans, having a real career or more than one job to support yourself through school, or having children and the various responsibilities that go with that... Things are not just cut and dry like "Well that's dumb, why would you take an exam when you're not ready." Hahaha.

Seriously, it takes a year to apply to med school, you have to take the exam on somewhat of a schedule to meet the deadlines. The first few times I took it, they only offered it TWICE a year. And really, if you didn't take it in April, you were risking your whole application getting in by the deadline by taking it in August. That was why I took it when I wasn't ready...

Let's face the facts... Some premeds just don't understand the concept of having a life outside of being premed and preparing for medical school applications. And that is totally fine, there is nothing wrong with that! Why worry yourself over these things when you don't have to. But some of us had other things going on... So don't be judgy. I am sure you wouldn't do as well if you had a family to take care of and a real career going for you during the time that you are trying to sneak in some MCAT review. Your studies sometimes go to the wayside when you have responsibilities like this...

Seems you've matriculated, so congratulations. However, considering the average MCAT score every year is ~25.1, it really shouldn't be a problem to get higher than the teens/low 20s.

Thank you... And see the above for a response to your second statement. "It shouldn't be a problem..." Sure, it totally shouldn't be... When you have the time and resources to study. The second I quit my job and studied the content, I made a 27. Before that, I had multiple jobs to support my husband (at the time, *sigh* another story for another day) and I because we were both in school. If you have the time and ability to stop everything else in your life to study, you probably will get a 25+ on the MCAT... It's the stopping everything to study part that is the problem for some students.

The issue is that med school is full of 90%+. If you can't get above the 50% on the only standardized part of the application, you're likely going to be in trouble even if you do manage to sneak into medical school. The MCAT is a direct measure of your ability to prepare and perform. If you can't do both, how can you expect to survive med school?

Ok... This is just false. There are plenty of people that don't get in the 90th percentile on the MCAT (which by the way is a 33+) and still make it into med school, without "sneaking in", AND do well while they are there.

I wasn't in the 90th percentile on my MCAT... A 26+ is around the 50th percentile. If you think I SNUCK into medical school, you are dead wrong... I worked hard to get here. Harder than probably half of my classmates that maybe did have higher MCAT scores than I did. And the MCAT had no bearing on my ability to pass my courses when I started school, or even now.

The MCAT is partially a measure of your ability to prepare and perform. Not a DIRECT measure. It can be inferred that someone with a high MCAT score is going to be able to do exceptionally well in their courses. But that is just an inference. Think about the other factors that go into doing well in your courses. Time, other commitments, emotional health (like not being depressed and such due to some family problem or other problems. Think about how many people leave their family behind to go to school in another state. That isn't easy to do emotionally), maturity, etc... You can't say that someone with a 35 MCAT today will make all A's in their med school courses when they matriculate in a year and a half and move to wherever they get in. This is why I am saying that this exam is not a direct measure, it is only something that can be used to compare people. That is what it is really used for. To level out the playing field between you and someone that took classes at another school. GPA comparisons just won't level the field because you may have taken all different classes than someone that went to another school.

If all things are equal between you and someone else, it may not even make a difference that you have a 27 and the other guy has a 33. You may still get in because you have a personality that fits with the school better than his does. It's really just another factor to compare applicants and whittle down the list of people they have to choose from, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
And... One last thing that I feel I need to mention. It is really unrelated. :rolleyes: But I am going to say it anyway.

One of my professors always says "No one comes to medical school to become a student. You are here to become a doctor."

So fine... You make your awesome A's... Excel and rise to the top 10% of your class. Then what? What about after medical school and residency?? Now you’re not a student competing with others through your exam scores and class grades. What do you have now...?

Oh, now you have real life. Where you have to become successful in your field and be a better doctor than your peers. Not only better in that you know more, but better in that you are able to put what you know to work, be efficient, have common sense, etc. And let’s not forget that a doctor is the ultimate field of customer service. I want to go into Emergency Med, where you are really just a glorified waitress trying to get people in and out and make them feel like you gave them great service (which is actually what I said in one of my medical school interviews, haha).

Some of my peers have never had a job in their life. Ever. Not at Pizza Hut, not at the local mall where they grew up... NEVER. Their resume looks sad... They only have the skills they got from being a student and volunteering. So, what is going to happen when they are not a medical student anymore? Think about it. Their learning curve at work is going to take years to develop. Whereas, people that have had other careers before school will ease right in.

I didn't come to medical school to become a student. I came here because I know that I have the skills to become a great physician. This is a stepping stone to my career. I promise you in 10 years, no one is going to give a crap what my MCAT was, what my medical school GPA was, or what my class rank is. They are going to care that my patients love me and that I am an efficient, capable doctor. School doesn’t teach you that... Those are life skills that you gain through experience, and if you’re lucky are genetically inclined to have.

I urge you guys to look at the bigger picture. I know it is hard from where you are standing right now... But don't ever think that your grades define you. They may open some doors... But you can open the rest by standing out for who you really are. :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
OMG! I feel like you just wrote my life for the last couple of years & I'm so happy it turned out great for you ( and hopefully me too!) I also have taken this test 3 times, scoring < 20 and also took the last paper test back in 06'. I even took a year off to get my Masters in Neuroscience just to avoid looking at anything MCAT related!!! Thanks so much for this post. It was just what I needed to read!

Thanks so much for sharing. Your post is very inspirational. I'm been trying to study for the mcat on and off as well. But thanks so much for sharing.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Kid I know got in with 2.7 gpa and 19 mcat, however both if his parents work for the school he was accepted to. :mad: yeah, life isn't fair.

Yeah, but they'll probably pass the Step1 with a score of 191.... on their fifth try.

Somehow, I fail to feel sorry for people like that.

If you get something handed to you on a silver platter, you'd better not expect it next time.

Yeah, but they'll probably pass the Step1 with a score of 191.... on their fifth try.

Somehow, I fail to feel sorry for people like that.

If you get something handed to you on a silver platter, you'd better not expect it next time.

you can only take the step 1 once ;)

sadly this happens more than we'd like to think, just gotta worry about ourselves and push forward.