Hope for those who think this dream is impossible....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothpaint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey..I have never posted or commented for over 2 years since i am visiting this forum...But i think i have earned the place to share something now so if there are other candidates like me,my story will probably help them to recharge their dreams...So here it goes...I passed dental college in 2000 from India.I Practiced there uptil 2005 when i met my husband.Shifted to the carribbean and worked there for 4.5 years,came to the US in 2010....Started working as a Dental Asst while preparing for NBDE,obviously I was not young enough as the other members on this forum but i just visited this forum for info about practical exams and interview experiences.I never,never consciously read about scores or study methods.I separated the wheat from the chaff so to speak of...Since I was not fresh out of school i knew my USP lies in my experience/exposure in dentistry.While working in the carribbean,I deliberately chose to work in Public health and taught dental auxilliaries and BDS students in the University there...I built up my resume by handling every opportunity there was,when i left the caribbean I was on the board of the dental school,in charge of admissions and cirriculum and HOD for the pediatric clinic.In 2010 when i came to the US i immediately started as a dental assistant...full time...partly out of necessity and mostly to continue my work in pediatrics...dental assisting full time is back breaking work...but i did it,i got more out of it because i knew i had a front row seat to see how dentists work/interact with patients here,to learn their system inside out...front desk to doing huddles, assisting,inventory,late night and saturday clinics,volunteering...you name it and i did it...I decided i am applying in the 2012 cycle...After 6 months past the deadline i had given myself I took Part I in june 2011...I passed,gave TOEFL,passed,applied to just 6 colleges on the east coast in late Aug...Took Part II in Dec because i did not know what the new changes in scoring system meant in 2012...(studied for 2 weeks and took off only 3 days prior to PArt II)...Passed...Waited ...waited n waited to hear....Jan came and went..Feb came and was going,Suddenly I get an interview call ,I went ...In the interview my work had spoken for me,30 min interview...beautifully done...I knew in my heart this college was a tailer-made fit for me...Only thing that could hold me back were my scores(or so i thought)...Part I-79...Part II-82...I was accepted 2 days back...I am on my way to dental school in the Fall...Believe in yourself,know your strengths and most importantly your weaknesses...(plural),always work to overcome those...Age is but a number,when i go to school in the fall,i wont be the youngest there...If you want to do something and are determined to achieve it,God will open at least a window..(faith is the only thing that can carry thro the kind of obstacles that i had)...you have to make doors open for you thro that window...It is doable...Mind you it was not easy...it is pure blood and sweat...but the fruit is always sweet...Now it is another phase of a different kind of battle for me...but after what i have overcome...nothing seems impossible...Now tell me...are you worse off than me..Still feel like you are in an impossible situation?...:)

Members don't see this ad.

thanks truly an inspirational story
i congratulate you for u r strenght ,hard work and determination
u have done the impossible
u have given me new life
can i ask u which school did u get admit?
i have been trying since past 2yrs but havent got admission yet,keeping my fingers crossed

You are sensational.We salute you and your determination.Stay blessed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.... I m so encouraged after reading your story..
I truly hope and pray that each 1 of us in this forum will be able to make it one day... !!! :)

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring experience !
This story is giving some hope people like me ...

Thanks for inspirational story.actually I had same situation.I gave my part 1 in July 2011. Got 78, part 2 in new format.pass...but I will apply this year.I was not sure what to do,but now I will do my best to get admission.

Thanks again,
Can I get your email I'd as I want to your guidance for my application.

Hey..I have never posted or commented for over 2 years since i am visiting this forum...But i think i have earned the place to share something now so if there are other candidates like me,my story will probably help them to recharge their dreams...So here it goes...I passed dental college in 2000 from India.I Practiced there uptil 2005 when i met my husband.Shifted to the carribbean and worked there for 4.5 years,came to the US in 2010....Started working as a Dental Asst while preparing for NBDE,obviously I was not young enough as the other members on this forum but i just visited this forum for info about practical exams and interview experiences.I never,never consciously read about scores or study methods.I separated the wheat from the chaff so to speak of...Since I was not fresh out of school i knew my USP lies in my experience/exposure in dentistry.While working in the carribbean,I deliberately chose to work in Public health and taught dental auxilliaries and BDS students in the University there...I built up my resume by handling every opportunity there was,when i left the caribbean I was on the board of the dental school,in charge of admissions and cirriculum and HOD for the pediatric clinic.In 2010 when i came to the US i
immediately started as a dental assistant...full time...partly out of necessity and mostly to continue my
work pediatrics...dental assisting full time is back breaking work...but i did it,i got more out of it because i knew i had a front row seat to see how dentists work/interact with patients here,to learn
their system inside out...front desk to doing huddles, assisting,inventory,late
night and saturday clinics,volunteering...you name it and i did it...I decided i am applying
in the 2012 cycle...After 6 months past the deadline i had given myself I took Part I in june
2011...I passed,gave TOEFL,passed,applied to just 6 colleges on the east coast in late
Aug...Took Part II in Dec because i did not know what the new changes in scoring system
meant in 2012...(studied for 2 weeks and took off only 3 days prior to PArt
II)...Passed...Waited ...waited n waited to hear....Jan came and went..Feb came and was
going,Suddenly I get an interview call ,I went ...In the interview my work had spoken for
me,30 min interview...beautifully done...I knew in my heart this college was a tailer-made
fit for me...Only thing that could hold me back were my scores(or so i thought)...Part I
79...Part II-82...I was accepted 2 days back...I am on my way to dental school in the
Fall...Believe in yourself,know your strengths and most importantly your weaknesses...
(plural),always work to overcome those...Age is but a number,when i go to school in the
fall,i wont be the youngest there...If you want to do something and are determined to
achieve it,God will open at least a window..(faith is the only thing that can carry thro the
kind of obstacles that i had)...you have to make doors open for you thro that window...It is
doable...Mind you it was not easy...it is pure blood and sweat...but the fruit is always
sweet...Now it is another phase of a different kind of battle for me...but after what i have
overcome...nothing seems impossible...Now tell me...are you worse off than me..Still feel
like you are in an impossible situation?...:)

It's a story about your hardwork.I am also having same situation like yours.I gave my part 1 in July 2011, got 78. Then part 2 in new format and passed.but I had not applied in 2012 cycle.I will apply
this year.I was not sure because of my low score.but now I will do best application.
Can I get your email I'd as I want to ask you few things about application.my email I'd is [email protected]

Thanks.

It is such an inspirational story!! and very encouraging to know that there are other International Dentist that are not recently graduated that can success thru the process.Congratulations on your admission and soon new Fall Term!!
Please share some advise on how to start studying for NBDE I.
I sent a private message yesterday as well...
Hope to hear from you!
Pazdent

Hey..I have never posted or commented for over 2 years since i am visiting this forum...But i think i have earned the place to share something now so if there are other candidates like me,my story will probably help them to recharge their dreams...So here it goes...I passed dental college in 2000 from India.I Practiced there uptil 2005 when i met my husband.Shifted to the carribbean and worked there for 4.5 years,came to the US in 2010....Started working as a Dental Asst while preparing for NBDE,obviously I was not young enough as the other members on this forum but i just visited this forum for info about practical exams and interview experiences.I never,never consciously read about scores or study methods.I separated the wheat from the chaff so to speak of...Since I was not fresh out of school i knew my USP lies in my experience/exposure in dentistry.While working in the carribbean,I deliberately chose to work in Public health and taught dental auxilliaries and BDS students in the University there...I built up my resume by handling every opportunity there was,when i left the caribbean I was on the board of the dental school,in charge of admissions and cirriculum and HOD for the pediatric clinic.In 2010 when i came to the US i immediately started as a dental assistant...full time...partly out of necessity and mostly to continue my work in pediatrics...dental assisting full time is back breaking work...but i did it,i got more out of it because i knew i had a front row seat to see how dentists work/interact with patients here,to learn their system inside out...front desk to doing huddles, assisting,inventory,late night and saturday clinics,volunteering...you name it and i did it...I decided i am applying in the 2012 cycle...After 6 months past the deadline i had given myself I took Part I in june 2011...I passed,gave TOEFL,passed,applied to just 6 colleges on the east coast in late Aug...Took Part II in Dec because i did not know what the new changes in scoring system meant in 2012...(studied for 2 weeks and took off only 3 days prior to PArt II)...Passed...Waited ...waited n waited to hear....Jan came and went..Feb came and was going,Suddenly I get an interview call ,I went ...In the interview my work had spoken for me,30 min interview...beautifully done...I knew in my heart this college was a tailer-made fit for me...Only thing that could hold me back were my scores(or so i thought)...Part I-79...Part II-82...I was accepted 2 days back...I am on my way to dental school in the Fall...Believe in yourself,know your strengths and most importantly your weaknesses...(plural),always work to overcome those...Age is but a number,when i go to school in the fall,i wont be the youngest there...If you want to do something and are determined to achieve it,God will open at least a window..(faith is the only thing that can carry thro the kind of obstacles that i had)...you have to make doors open for you thro that window...It is doable...Mind you it was not easy...it is pure blood and sweat...but the fruit is always sweet...Now it is another phase of a different kind of battle for me...but after what i have overcome...nothing seems impossible...Now tell me...are you worse off than me..Still feel like you are in an impossible situation?...:)
Hi
Really inspiring story.Can you tell me how did you get your job as dental assistant.Didnt you have to go for any training or short term course before you could start your work.Where are you from.I am from India.

Hi Toothpaint
Can you tell me what visa you have?

Ok people...As is evident i dont visit this forum everyday,so my apologies for those of you who are waiting to hear from me... i usually get alerts about messages sent to my inbox,so i usually try responding coz its a one on one advice i can give instead of "one size fits all" replies ...I definitely dont have a formula except what i have said in my testimony:))
I am a Permanent resident and i just applied for the DA's job online..I am already a dentist so figured i dint need any "training" being an assistant...I did get DANB certification.did not study for it,it was a half day exam and it was a walk in the park..and last but not the least .Yes,I am from India...

Hi
Thankyou for your reply.Were you already a PR when you applied for your job ?Sorry I am asking in detail about this as I am on a dependent visa .

Gosh you are amazing!!!! Thanks for posting your inspirational story!!

Doc1310...Yes,I was a PR when i came to the US and that's how i was able to work...Believe me i know the struggles of being on a dependent visa...I was in the caribbean for 4 years on a business visa and making myself useful while waiting for my papers to come through...So i have climbed every single step...:)..Know what...Even if u r on a dependent visa,whats stopping you from volunteering?there are any number of organisations looking for volunteers...and in dental too...churches ,temples,community organisations and the like organise what are called free medical and dental camps for the needy(yes,here in the US)...You wont be able to work on the patient or even assist but definitely you can help them set up rooms,equipments,and do sterlisation stuff,that is volunteering and that can be useful ona resume...Get the groove?:))..

Hi
Thankyou for your reply.Were you already a PR when you applied for your job ?Sorry I am asking in detail about this as I am on a dependent visa .
Hi ... Im on a dependant visa too... Have you given your boards already?

-----------------------------------

Last edited:
@killpe...That's what's called a deliberate omission buddy...I am kinda low profile n would like to keep it that way,Thank you...Does'nt matter what school i got into or where....Whole point is ...It can be done....:)