Lucky Buck

Peeping Torgo
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've been reading these posts for soo long, I feel as though you are all distant relatives now.
This is my first real post, so hello to all. As it’s been said by others, I have gleaned a great deal of hope and encouragement from everyone’s story. So, it’s only fair to tell you mine.
First off, I am officially a non-trad, as I am a ripe 32 years old. I grew up loving science and history. In high school, I was a closet-dork. I would do things like hang out with the biology teacher during lunch and do experiments at home (DNA extractions in my room, crossing pea plants, breeding cichlids); typical high school stuff. I was also a baseball player and when my friends caught wind of the things I liked to do in my freetime....they let me have it. Being immature, I let peer pressure and a desire to be viewed as cool to lead me astray from science.
I graduated from high school with mediocre grades and attended a local college in order to be close to my girlfiend. This is where it all went down hill. Minutes before my first chemistry exam, I started loosing my vision and I had a terrible headache. I missed the exam, was taken to the hospital; conclusion...a bad migraine. I approached the Chem. Prof and explained what happened. He refused to allow me to make up the exam. I just assumed I had no options and figured I had blown my academic career. I stopped going to class and finished the semester with an F in Chem., C in Chem. Lab, D in College Writing, C in Geography, D in College Alg, and to top it off, an A in Honors Forum!! If I knew what I know now, I would have gone to the department head and petitioned until I was given another chance to take that damn test. Oh well, I didn’t know my options then; water under the bridge.
I continued to do poorly for the next four years. I was so inconsistent! I would get an A in violin one semester and a D the next. I took a few more science classes....mostly C’s and W’s. Being in a fraternity helped as well....I’m kidding, big time here! Eventually, my wonderful parents pulled the plug (rightfully so) and told me that I had wasted enough of their money. I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself. I was 23, with 102 hours under my belt and a 2.1 GPA.
This is where it gets interesting; I decided to work for my Father. After spending a summer digging ditches in the hot/humid/ mosquito infested heat that is Florida, something finally clicked. I had an overwhelming desire to go back to school in order to prove to everyone what I was capable of. I saved up my money, got a job waiting tables and started taking classes again. Despite loving science, I was a little weary to go back down that path considering what happened before. Thus, I decided to give History a shot. While working (sometimes two jobs), I earned 24 A’s and 4 B’s. I participated in student senate, member of student court, school ambassador, VP History Honor Society and I graduated with honors in history. Upon graduating, I had moved my gpa up to a 2.91. My gpa since returning to school was a 3.8.
I applied to law school and was ready to start in the fall, but I had a nagging feeling that it wasn’t right. That nagging feeling was my passion for science.
I decided to pass on law school and go back for a second bachelor’s in Biology. I really didn’t have much of a plan, nor did I get any counseling. I was just ecstatic to be doing science again and I wasn’t really sure where it would lead. I took Bio I w/lab, Bio II, Chem I, DIS, and Genetics. I earned an A in each one except Genetics (B). Long story short, one of my Profs was impressed with me and recruited me into his lab to do graduate work. I graduated last Fall with a MS in Biomedical Science with a 3.8 GPA. Keep in mind, I never took Chem II, Pyhsics I, II, Organic I,II, Calculus. I did well enough on the GRE (1130 cold turkey) and anything I needed to learn...I learned along the way.
I have the opportunity to do a PhD. in Neuro at the University of Miami, but I have decided that bench work is not for me. A long time ago, I wanted to be a doctor and for so many years I have avoided what I feel is my destiny. I let immaturity and a fear of failure get in the way; but I’m ready to meet it head on now.
So, this is my plan....I’m 32!!! My ugpa is a 2.98, my bcpm gpa is 2.9 and my grad gpa is 3.8. Since I have a BA in History, I will do a post-bacc and pick up a Biology or Chemistry degree. While doing this over two years I will be able to pick up 60 or so science credits and it will continue the A trend from when I decided to get serious about school. Based on the math that I have done, If I can make mostly A’s, I should be able to raise my ugpa to 3.2 and my bcpm to around 3.4-3.5. I’ve got some shadowing exp. lined up with a cardiologist and I’m going to look for some unique volunteer work. I am planning on retaking many of the prereqs I already took because it has been 5 years since I initially took them and I really want to understand the material before picking up where I left off. I will also be working part-time while taking at least 12 hours a semester to help pay the bills.
So, I’ve got two years to continue shinning before I would take the MCAT and apply. I know this is a really long post, but I wanted to give everyone the complete picture. Hopefully, one day, people will be searching for my posts in the quest for reassurance.
I will keep everyone posted; I know I’ll be depending on this site to help keep me focused on my goal.

Cheers,
~Lucky Buck

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think the more proper terminology is "evidence-based hope";). Which you have. You have clearly improved yourself, and have clear set goals. This is a good post which illustrates an all too simple concept. If you didn't do well in the past, then do well in the present and future.

There usually isn't an easy way, but there is certainly a challenging way, and an impossible way. As long as you keep things within reality, hope can be a good thing, which can help you choose the right path towards you goals:). Good luck!

About the Ads

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like you're on your way -- best of luck & please keep us posted on your progress!

e_phn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Good Luck and good job!!:D

Just one advice: you should separate your paragraphs..it's easier for the reader to read...

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Good Luck and good job!!:D

Just one advice: you should separate your paragraphs..it's easier for the reader to read...

Or perhaps just remove all punctuation and capitalization to make it more challenging ;)

UPSPOSI6

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
I have nearly the same experience.

I allowed a couple of years of terrible academic records in my early 20s to dictate my professional life for the past 10 years. I made a vow to myself that I'd NEVER let my inability to forgive myself for such transgressions to impede my dreams. In short, I quit my bank job and enrolled in 16 hours of classes and so far have an A on everything. I traded my suit and tie at the bank for gloves and ear plugs at the UPS night shift.

It was of fear of uncertainty that I let push me around. Not anymore. I'll gladly go to my grave knowing that I gave 100%. Realizing this is a battle I'm mentally prepared and growing tougher everyday. One day I'll forgive myself but until then the combat continues..

Good luck brother....there are a few of us out there doing this. Its the American dream dude.

Lucky Buck

Peeping Torgo
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It's

always

encouraging

to know

we

are not

alone

on this

journey! :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.