HOPEFUL of 2010 cycle Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRSMUFFEN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be insightful & supporting if we had a thread for those how are looking to enter Dental school in 2010. Maybe we can list where we are in our education: degree, pre-reqs, and what we are doing to prepare ourselves for the upcoming cycle. Just a thought. What do you all think?

Blueprint below. Also planned my summer classes, if all goes wells. Now all I need is books. $500+

Shadowing begin Monday 12/29 @ Family Dentist: I am also getting thoughts together for my personal statement.

Spring 09 at MCC
BIO 181 LEC & LAB, CHM 130LEC &
LAB, MAT 122,PHY 111 LEC & LAB
I'm also taking Yoga to manage my stress, lol total of 16 credit.

Spring May 15 apply 4 2010 cycle @ AADSAS

Summer I 09 at MCC
Already checked catolog
Mat 187
Chm 151 Lec & Lab
Bio 205, using it to test out of 220 at ASU

Take the DAT ( Goal of 20+ ea )

Fall 09 at ASU
Work in Progress :)

Spring & Summer 2010 finish pre-reqs at ASU (enrolled in 2nd degree: Microbiology)

Fall 2010 Accepted Somewhere! (I am only applying to 5 schools @ the most)

Might Retake the DAT ( Not planning on it)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Graduated June 2008 (University of Washington, Seattle BS Biochem).
Applying this summer to 12-13 schools (not more, maybe less).
Took the DAT Dec. 1.
Currently writing the personal statement.. will try to apply as early as possible.

I suppose this includes me.

I am taking the admissions test on Jan 31st (or maybe a little later) and am knee-deep in biology review at this very moment. Actually, that's what I should be doing instead of surfing this site. Distractions are killing me! I will be graduating next December with a bio degree and minors in chem and studio arts. I'm not sure what I will do for the eight or so months between graduation and the start of school but I would like to think the plans include at least some kind of overseas vacation. My only real worry about the app process is obtaining letters of recommendation because I have no idea who to ask. I will cross that bridge when I get there, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the DAT Dec. 1.
Currently writing the personal statement.. will try to apply as early as possible.

With your stats you don't need to apply to 12-13 schools unless you feel like throwing your money away. Between now and then I would advise you to do some research on the schools you are interested in. You should really only need to apply to 5 or 6 schools.

Trust me you don't want to spend that much money and time. Figure out maybe three or four "top choices" and just a few safe schools to apply to in case you don't get in anywhere else.

I suppose this includes me.

I am taking the admissions test on Jan 31st (or maybe a little later) and am knee-deep in biology review at this very moment. Actually, that's what I should be doing instead of surfing this site. Distractions are killing me! I will be graduating next December with a bio degree and minors in chem and studio arts. I'm not sure what I will do for the eight or so months between graduation and the start of school but I would like to think the plans include at least some kind of overseas vacation. My only real worry about the app process is obtaining letters of recommendation because I have no idea who to ask. I will cross that bridge when I get there, I guess.

Good luck with the DAT...it's good that you're studying so much Bio right now because it really is the most random portion of the test. When you ask for letters of rec remember to check the requirements of the schools that you are applying to. Some require so many letters from science professors, some a letter from a dentist, and I believe Loma Linda requires a letter from your pastor/priest. Odd isn't it? No matter who you choose to get your letters from, make sure that they know you well enough to really describe how good of a candidate you are.

Took the DAT Dec. 1.

ITA W/ DROCK

yOUR STATS ARE GREAT! You should be able to your top choices

I need 5 letters for my pre-health committee and I am sure I can get two right now. The other three... well, they are up in the air. I conveniently scheduled an upper level bio writing class with my bio 1 professor because I got to know her my first year. I know one professor very well but I got B's in both of the classes I took with her (genetics and microbio) so I am hesitant in asking her for a letter.

With your stats you don't need to apply to 12-13 schools unless you feel like throwing your money away. Between now and then I would advise you to do some research on the schools you are interested in. You should really only need to apply to 5 or 6 schools.

Trust me you don't want to spend that much money and time. Figure out maybe three or four "top choices" and just a few safe schools to apply to in case you don't get in anywhere else.

Thanks for advice.:)

I graduate spring 2010...finished with pre-reqs as of this past semester, DAT in May 09, applying June 1, working on recommendations, volunteering at a dental clinic, research, and some more random things. Planning on getting a few more upper level bios done before applying. Depending on how well I do on the DAT, I'll probably apply to at least 7-8 schools.

Double major medical science and biology from Canada will graduate 2010
I am going to write the DAT in Feb and I hope to manage and get all my LORS and shadowing done from Feb-April. Slippery road ahead!

Hopefully i'll apply in this cycle. But I"ll be graduating in May 2010 with a degree in education with a concentration in biology, aka a highschool bio teacher. Most likely i'll be taking the DAT in May 09, and will be shadowing a dentist real soon.