Hopeless premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortheloveofmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
so i take it here to start a little vent session.
I am currently a freshman in college, and just finished my last final.
i had a really tough time adjusting, and go to a very competitive school.
My question is, when do i know to throw in the rag?
I love medicine, in January I went to Africa volunteering at a hospital in Iringa and fell in love with medicine even more. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

1: school prestige/competitiveness doesn't matter nearly as much as grades
2: many adcoms look disparagingly upon trips to Africa if not presented in the right light

If you straighten up your act and get a 3.5 average from here on out, you're fine. Worst case, you do a post bacc or SMP. One bad year can't really kill an app unless you got straight Ds or Fs.

Only throw in the rag when you no longer desire to go to medical school.

You can change your course. You still have time. Keep on keepin' on!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people have a hard time adjusting. A lot of people do very poorly their first year or two. How else do you think upward trends appear? College is more-or-less about learning how to learn and time manage. Learn how to master those things. If you struggle in a class, learn how to change and do better. If you are not having enough time for your studies, learn how to make the time. There are people on here who have gone through several degrees and years out of college who still havent given up. Seriously, this is your first year, you are fine.

Find out why you had problems adjusting and fix them.

Hey guys,
so i take it here to start a little vent session.
I am currently a freshman in college, and just finished my last final.
i had a really tough time adjusting, and go to a very competitive school.
My question is, when do i know to throw in the rag?
I love medicine, in January I went to Africa volunteering at a hospital in Iringa and fell in love with medicine even more. Help?

Two quotes from a guy who kept failing throughout his life.

bill-gates-quote.jpg
images.jpg